To NAS or not to NAS?

If you are hinting towards the audio (stereo) only playback via WDTV and comparing with Pi or a CD player then yes I am with you. But when it comes to video files playback the WDTV and Pi or a Oppo or HTPC will be the same but as I said earlier the added flexibility of HTPC (like upgrading/choosing the player/tweaking/XBMC/games/browsing etc.,) and the benefit of upscaling on Oppo are the aspects that the WDTV will be lacking. In my personal opinion a 1080p movie file should playback the same on all players over HDMI. I am saying this because I have built a HTPC and a 1080p movie plays on my TV the same way as my Dad's Asus Oplay Mini and I did not find any difference atleast to my eyes :)

I only know of audio so far which prompted me to get help here. And I now have Raspberry Pi. And now I want to better the video experience. And believe me I have no desire to spend excess money by buying an Oppo. The fact that i opted for the wisdom of Raspberry Pi will demonstrate that. Just want to have good video up. The HTPC anyway will only serve as a video player for me, as I don't game and won't browse on it.

But tell me, Wouldn't my MacBook Pro (or Bootcamp Windows 10) with 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB, GT650 NVidia be as good a HTPC as one available out there for watching video?

@sam9: What would be the interface for NAS? My MacBook Pro or I can directly connect the NAS to my AVR? And what would you suggest replace my WDTV, Shield or Minix?

Last edited:
Oppo will out perform WDTV in both audio and video departments.

I have done video comparison with Pioneer BDP-450 and WDTV and the Pioneer wins hands down. And based on all the reviews, the superior Oppo will certainly be better for video. Moreover Oppo is well known for its audio capabilities and chosen by audiophiles.

checkout this a generic Oppo BDplayer review I randomly opened via google ...

OPPO BDP-103EU 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player Review

an interesting conclusion excerpt it has ...

If you own a 1080p TV, watch mainly 1080p/24 movies on Blu-ray, and feed bitstream audio to an HDMI capable AV receiver, youll end up with the same AV quality from cheaper players provided you seek a known good one out and avoid players which inflict some whimsical alterations on the picture without the consent of the user (or the filmmaker, for that matter!)

Read the article. Oodles of praise. Do you know of any 'known good'? Somebody had suggested Marantz UD5007, which is almost the same price.

lol oppo is a well known brand for the quality at a premium price, almost all reviews have praise for it, nothing different in that article ..... That is not what I contradict ...... and by 'know good" I think what he means is to "avoid players which inflict some whimsical alterations" meaning ultra cheap crappy players out there. Any decent player by Panasonic or pioneer will not fall in this category and will give PQ at par with oppo, with a price tag atleast half of it if not 1/3rd ....

Oppo to bluray players is what bose is to speakers ... :D

lol oppo is a well known brand for the quality at a premium price, almost all reviews have praise for it, nothing different in that article ..... That is not what I contradict ...... and by 'know good" I think what he means is to "avoid players which inflict some whimsical alterations" meaning ultra cheap crappy players out there. Any decent player by Panasonic or pioneer will not fall in this category and will give PQ at par with oppo, with a price tag atleast half of it if not 1/3rd ....

Oppo to bluray players is what bose is to speakers ... :D

I did not think you were contradicting. I know what he means by 'known good'. Just want to know what those 'known good' bluray players are, so I can check them out.

Though I must admit that I find this whole logic of all sources producing the same picture through HDMI a bit difficult to agree with. I'll probably borrow a bluray player from somewhere and test this with WDTV. I know that the picture thrown through my MacBook Pro Retina (with BluRay Player software) is better than WDTV. Even through Windows 8.1 and madVR it was fantastic. Somethings gone wrong on Windows 10. I'll figure that out soon or go back to 8.1.

Now I am even more confused with the number of options have gone up.

Totally confused. What would you do if you were me?

My NAS experience is very different. I had the Synology DS213+ in all Apple ecosystem with Time Capsule and Macbook Pro. I had only 3GB X 2 and an Oppo BDP-105 in the mix to stream from the NAS.
To start with, it takes a while to set up everything. Most MKVs do work but not fool proof. Also, some times subtitles could be an issue and did not find the streaming solution from NAS to Oppo to be the best (I will talk about my best in a bit). One more thing, streamed content quality with respect to Oppo's upscale capability are not the same as an optical disc, IMO. What it means is, that the bluray performance is the best with a bluray disc but other sources, especially streaming content, is a hit or a miss. Depends a lot on how the video file is created codecs used, bit rates etc etc. It is not a sure shot that by adding a great upscaling bluray player in the chain will improve the streaming quality of an mkv file. Your mileage may vary.
With respect to Audio, it works pretty decent but you miss a lot of library management either with Synology software or direct connection via Oppo.
RAID on NAS worked fine but one time there was a problem but I could not retrieve the data out easily as NAS has proprietary format for the hard disk. So, in the end I never appreciated the purpose of NAS.
Coming back to what I think is best for Video and Music Management - Nothing to beat a dedicated HDMI cable to a PC / Mac
I run Plex on Macbook Pro and HDMI connection to the AVR. I mostly use the Macbook Pro as a Desktop unit (clamshell mode) and is hooked to an external monitor with Magic Mouse and BT keyboard. Whenever I travel I just unhook the monitor and take the laptop with me. All the media is on a portable 3TB external drive which is replicated on a second portable drive using Chronosync software. With Plex Media Server coupled with Plex Home Theatre software, I experience a media rich UI, all format compatible, and no lagging / streaming issues. And the remote control for the software is through the App on both the iPhone as well as iPad or a bluetooth keyboard. Audio is on iTunes, though the experience not as great as Plex, but with AirPlay I am able to serve the audio across various speakers.
After this experience with NAS, I believe that there is no real use case for NAS for people who can hook up an HDMI cable to their PC/Mac unless until they do not want to run their computer during those times when they want to consume media.
I am putting links to the items that I use just in case, it is of interest to some one
1. Macbook Pro 13" Retina
2. WD 3 TB Portable Hard Drive
3. Magic Mouse
4. Logitech KeyBoard

5. Plex Server, Plex Player & Plex App
6. Desktop Stand for Macbook Pro
7. Chronosync

Last edited:
Guys,

I have the OPPO BDP-105 and can tell you it will pretty much eat every WD, Android TV box, media player, Blu-ray players, and even most HTPCs for breakfast right out of the box.

That said, you will only see what the Oppo can do if you watch 1080p content on a 4K TV. If you watch 1080p content on a full HD TV, the difference will be negligible, though the Oppo will have better colors, sharper picture, etc.

Even in terms of audio reproduction it has a kick ass DAC and beats most DACs and CD players I have heard over the years. I am pretty certain the little sibling OPPO BDP-103 will be in the same boat in terms of performance.

A HTPC can improve on its performance, but it will be a no expense spared HTPC and will also require hours of configuration and tweaking with the likes of madVR and Nvidia DSR.

The OPPO is highly recommended if you don't have the time to assemble and tweak a PC, or have folks who are not tech savvy at home who would prefer to just pop in the Blu-ray disc and watch the movie. My parents prefer the ease of the Oppo and cannot deal with the complexity of a NAS, media player, or even the Chromecast. It has since been commandeered by them and is mostly used only for movie watching.

PS: The OP can go for a good mid-level Pioneer or anything similar in the content is 1080p and limited to watching on a 1080p screen. If however it is going to be watched on a 4K screen, and the OP wants the very best PQ then the Oppo or a HTPC are the way to go.

What it means is, that the bluray performance is the best with a bluray disc but other sources, especially streaming content, is a hit or a miss.
After reading my reply, I realized that it could be a bit more refined and straight to the point. So here it is, IMO

- Oppo BDP-105 is a great Bluray player with an excellent DAC both for Video and Audio purposes. It is very good with upscaling Optical Discs (DVDs). For any one, looking for Bluray / DVD Player Capabilites as well as DAC, Oppo 105 is an excellent choice

- Capabilities of Oppo BDP-105 as a streamer as well as renderer for Audio is very good too. You might miss the ease of accesing the music. For Video, streaming capabilities are not always perfect.

- For Stored Video Files (MKVs and other formats) a PC/Mac is the best solution out there as the way it can handle is very good. The way the content is served (media management) is excellent with players like Plex

- For storing the content especially media, NAS is not recommended by me. You can use an external Hard Disk connected to any machine and that seems to be more robust / faster / reliable than any NAS

- For storing the content especially media, NAS is not recommended by me. You can use an external Hard Disk connected to any machine and that seems to be more robust / faster / reliable than any NAS

Not to sound too rude, pardon me, but thats the most inappropriate recommendation, particularly saying that an external HDD is more reliable, and robust. ......... faster, yes maybe as accessing data over NAS is still done via LAN and well LAN will always be slower than direct connectivity.

But with a scattered data all across your external/internal storage with capacity mounting to be as high as 10TB (as is the case with OP), a NAS is most viable option to go for. I dont know what went wrong with you, but NAS in itself does not have any proprietary format. Its Linux and so the file structure is linux based. Recovery of data depends on what type of RAID configuration you have done, and RAID by all means is a well known HDD configuration for fault protection and recovery. You just need to know how to work over it. Again sorry to sound blunt, but If you could not figure out, does not make NAS a poor proposition.

Another thing NAS is not for library management, though synology does offer a pretty decent Video Station for the same, if library management is of importance, get KODI, or PLEX for that matter.

That said, you will only see what the Oppo can do if you watch 1080p content on a 4K TV. If you watch 1080p content on a full HD TV, the difference will be negligible, though the Oppo will have better colors, sharper picture, etc.

I think one will be able to see the difference even on 1080p. Sharper colours and pictures by no means is a negligible difference. So yes I agree with you there totally. Just hope BDP103 does as well.

A HTPC can improve on its performance, but it will be a no expense spared HTPC and will also require hours of configuration and tweaking with the likes of madVR and Nvidia DSR.

Agree there too. I checked out some of the recommendations made at AVSForum and they are mighty expensive and here in India, it becomes even more so. From a video point of view, I think I already have a a fantastic and powerful HTPC in MacBook Pro Retina (at least from what I understand as the fundamentals of HTPC).

The OPPO is highly recommended if you don't have the time to assemble and tweak a PC, or have folks who are not tech savvy at home who would prefer to just pop in the Blu-ray disc and watch the movie. My parents prefer the ease of the Oppo and cannot deal with the complexity of a NAS, media player, or even the Chromecast. It has since been commandeered by them and is mostly used only for movie watching.

Though I must admit that the percentage of people popping in Blurays is diminishing by the day. Most people operate out of files and the wonderment is if Oppo works well with these .mkv files. Those who have played files through Oppo might be able to answer that.

- For Stored Video Files (MKVs and other formats) a PC/Mac is the best solution out there as the way it can handle is very good
With 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB, GT650 NVidia, I would imagine I have a good HTPC already. So agreed, that it'll play .mkv files well. However, in comparison to Oppo, I have no idea but regeHA does.

Not to sound too rude, pardon me, but thats the most inappropriate recommendation, particularly saying that an external HDD is more reliable, and robust. ......... faster, yes maybe as accessing data over NAS is still done via LAN and well LAN will always be slower than direct connectivity.

I am glad you wrote that up. If your experience is different than mine, then it could be very well that I did not know how to exploit the potential of a NAS to full.
Please note that I am writing from personal experience and living with the NAS for almost an year. It does not make me an expert but experienced in my limited understanding way.
Reliability of a NAS: With the RAID, it was backing up one disk to another all the time but I never could manage to remove one HD and see if the other one has all the data. The only way it worked was when I put another HD, then it did a copy to that HD and then I could see the data. There is a possibility that I did not set up the ideal way but to me if I can not access the data on the backup drive when one drive fails, then it is not acceptable. Also, I imagined a situation where the NAS unit failure (and not the HDs) and till the time I get a new NAS my data is not accessible. Even this test case does not make sense, especially if I am comitting all my data to NAS. Again, there might be a way to retrieve the data with out buying a new NAS unit but I was not aware of.
To me a NAS seemed an additional hardware at additional cost, on a slower speed (LAN compared to USB 3) with a not so accesible redundancy.
With a simple setup of a laptop and two external HD it is quite easy. If laptop fails, I use my wife's laptop to access the data. If one HD fails, it is already cloned to another one so I get a new HD but I can still access my data. I believe that there are external HDs which can even work in RAID, if that is needed.
A dedicated NAS works may be when there are multiple parties / devices need to be served the same data. May be.

Any one who has actual experience with the above use / test cases, can please guide the OP in the right path so that he can benefit from the experience.

Again, all the above is my limited knowledge but real world usage. Please let me know what I might have not done the right way so that it can be some learning.

With 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB, GT650 NVidia, I would imagine I have a good HTPC already. So agreed, that it'll play .mkv files well. However, in comparison to Oppo, I have no idea but regeHA does.

I have an Intel i7, GTX 970, 16 GB RAM, a $200 Asus sound card, SSD for the OS, 650 watts PSU, a pretty well souped up HTPC by any standards, but right out of the box it did not do anything better than the Oppo. It took a lot of hours of tweaking and trial and error before I could really say I had the best PQ. Even then, it's not really the best, simply because even my PC buckles under the highest settings of madVR. I read somewhere that madVR performs better than $2000 AVRs, but the truth is I did spend over $2000 on my PC (admittedly my dollar earnings were not as good as current exchange rate).

Does my HTPC outperform the Oppo in video?
That's a yes, but do factor in the costs involved in assembling such a PC. Then there is the time setting up and tweaking madVR and players like MPC-HC and PotPlayer.

Does my HTPC outperform the Oppo in audio?
No chance in hell, and truth be told a $35 Raspberry Pi + NAS outperform my PC by a huge margin in the audio department.

PS: I am a gamer, and spend nearly 30 hours gaming over the weekends, so you can say the PC has more than earned its keep. The HTPC and video upscaling is an added bonus the way I see it.

I am a little curious about the discussions that are going on here. One thing that comes to my mind is that, in the heat of discussions, some fundamental issues have been sidelined. Terms and nomenclature have been given more importance than they deserve.

We are talking about Oppo Upscaling, HTPC using madVR, MKV files etc.

Let me see if I understand a few things right.

1. If you take a DVD, the highest resolution it can support is 720 x 480 pixels per frame for NTSC (or 720 x 576 pixels per frame for PAL), which is, at best, only 37.5% of the resolution of 720HD. At typical bit rates, you will get a file size of about 8.5GB for a 4 hour video.

2. Similarly, a Blu-ray supports a max of 19201080 pixels at a max of 59.94fps. For commercial reasons the video is stored and distributed in medium that has a capacity of 25GB.

When you come to computer file formats, what you do is to extract the essential information and compress that to the smallest size possible. Whether you use MKV or any other file, let us remember it is akin to an MP3. You are removing some information. What that means is that whether you use madVR or any other renderer, you will NEVER get the original image back. Why? Simply because it is not there any more.

So unless you get an uncompressed ISO file, whatever you do, you are playing around with data loss. What renderers and upscalers do is to create missing data and fill 'holes' in the image. This is very similar to what audio DACs do. They 'add' data to smoothen a digital curve to as close a natural analog curve as they can. But remember, all these are playing around with lost data, and trying to recreate that on the fly.

Now let us come to upscaling.

Upscaling can be done at two stages. One - at the source, and one just before playback. But again whatever is done, the max resolution you can get is 1920x1080 at 60fps. I think that is what Sam was trying to say. If a sub 100$ Blu-ray player can bypass the audio and video and send raw data faithfully to an AVR, that combination can do as good a job or even better than any source level upscaler such as an Oppo.

Beyond all this, given the same amount of data and upscaling, the only way to enhance your viewing experience is to have a better display mechanism - your TV or Projector. Given everything else being the same before data reaches the display, it is only the display that could make your viewing experience better.

I am not even talking about the difference between the data size and pixel density at the studio, and what arrives at home. There is a huge difference.

Cheers

PS: The OP can go for a good mid-level Pioneer or anything similar in the content is 1080p and limited to watching on a 1080p screen. If however it is going to be watched on a 4K screen, and the OP wants the very best PQ then the Oppo or a HTPC are the way to go.

HTPC does require some tweaking, especially if you are working with plugins and all, but the reward is worth, however, its certainly, not something that takes hours of configuration and setting up, you make it sound like a mental and physical torture .....:)
One can get the PC assembled by any PC Hardware shop for as low as 300 bucks, including windows and all, Rest all you need is to do is to install KODI and configure it to point it to your movie library and that's it. (and for that truck loads of tuts are available and there is a huge community supporting behind KODI for all configurations assistance)

If you are venturing into plugins and madvr kinda of stuff, then YES definitely you would need time and patience to get KODI configured per your needs. But then an avg used (which is what we are bringing out here) would not bother to go into all plugins and madvr stuff. Just getting a nice library and be able to play all formats is all one would need and KODI excels in that, with a decent hardware obviously. Lastly, I HAVE used MadVR extensively with MPC_HC and very frankly I did not find the PQ to be of something we can call night and day difference.

Coming to oppo,.... my argument is not the comparison of oppo to media player or HTPC. Of course popping a BD disk to watch a movie will always be easier in comparison to setting up HTPC or even a media player, specially with oldies ..... My argument was the price oppo bd player comes for and that for me is not justified .... oppo might be having better PQ than maybe the low-end BD players from sony or LG, but I am sure with better players from Panasonic or Pioneer will produce the same AV quality with atleast 1/2 the price of oppo if not 1/3rd.

Reliability of a NAS: With the RAID, it was backing up one disk to another all the time but I never could manage to remove one HD and see if the other one has all the data. The only way it worked was when I put another HD, then it did a copy to that HD and then I could see the data. There is a possibility that I did not set up the ideal way but to me if I can not access the data on the backup drive when one drive fails, then it is not acceptable.

You have no idea how RAID works do you, ?. I am assuming this is synology you are talking and by the explanation you have given I am again assuming that you configured your Synology with SHR (synology hybrid raid), and as the name suggest IT IS a proprietary RAID technology by Synology. With one disk tolerance it does not exactly mirror/replicate the data from one hard drive to another, it strips and works on parity. No wonder you were not able to access the data when you removed the hard drive from the NAS. If you would have neglected the SHR and configured your NAS in pure conventional RAID 1, it would have been proper mirroring..

I would also like to add , RAID is not backup per se, its offers redundancy. RAID 1 although called mirroring its not like copying a drive to another, so if that was your expectation that I am sorry you went in a wrong direction altogether ...

You need to understand the technology properly before you implement it and then judge the product with an experience associated with it.

Also, I imagined a situation where the NAS unit failure (and not the HDs) and till the time I get a new NAS my data is not accessible. Even this test case does not make sense, especially if I am comitting all my data to NAS. Again, there might be a way to retrieve the data with out buying a new NAS unit but I was not aware of.

NAS unit does not go ka put just like that ...lol. If this had been the case biggest of the IT infra would not be using these machines to store their critical data ...lol ..... ofcource this does not mean you put your NAS behind a poor electrical setup with voltage problems and fluctuations and then expect for the unit to perform for years .........

As I already mentioned this bottleneck is only there if you have used Synology own RAID (SHR). If using conventional RAID 1, you just need another PC to get the data off. Mind you this is not applicable with RAID 0 or other complicated RAID technologies. Although RAID itself takes care of the data backup and storage. In a rarest of scenario (like you bloody dropped your NAS from the table), you need to know how to recover the data from the HDD configured in RAID. Again all you need is another windows PC and few tools to make it happen.

To me a NAS seemed an additional hardware at additional cost, on a slower speed (LAN compared to USB 3) with a not so accesible redundancy.
With a simple setup of a laptop and two external HD it is quite easy. If laptop fails, I use my wife's laptop to access the data. If one HD fails, it is already cloned to another one so I get a new HD but I can still access my data. I believe that there are external HDs which can even work in RAID, if that is needed.

again same point ...already explained ....

Last edited:
If a sub 100$ Blu-ray player can bypass the audio and video and send raw data faithfully to an AVR, that combination can do as good a job or even better than any source level upscaler such as an Oppo.

I think that there is a good rationale and a clincher in this discussion. Makes sense.

That said, in my experience of making films (though I belong to the creative side of things rather than technical) and coming across various high end machines in the process. I do believe that all machines are not equal. Having encoded lots of films in my younger days, from blurays to .mkv using avisynth, I totally get the resolution story. The ability of a machine to read and render also makes a huge difference. So a machine has to throw out the right colours, and in a chain there have to be machines that do not disturb this throw, till it hits the display and assuming good quality, there'll be the right colours to be seen. So the only question I have is if a cheap bluray does not read the colours well or does not read and render well how much can an AVR correct that missing info? I might have a point there but I don't know. The experts will.

Just getting a nice library and be able to play all formats is all one would need and KODI excels in that, with a decent hardware obviously. Lastly, I HAVE used MadVR extensively with MPC_HC and very frankly I did not find the PQ to be of something we can call night and day difference.

Having used madVR myself for many years, with a professional instinct for colours, I can tell you that Kodi with and without madVR is a huge difference. Thanks to you I managed to use lavfilters, madVR and reclock with Kodi. Kodi has decent playback, and an excellent library/cataloguing system Just like Plex. (despite your saying there's a difference I can find none, but I admit I am a novice at this.).

But I am sure with better players from Panasonic or Pioneer will produce the same AV quality with atleast 1/2 the price of oppo if not 1/3rd.

That's what I have been asking. What's that alternative? I checked for Pioneer BDP 450. Used is around 36000/.

Having used madVR myself for many years, with a professional instinct for colours, I can tell you that Kodi with and without madVR is a huge difference. Thanks to you I managed to use lavfilters, madVR and reclock with Kodi. Kodi has decent playback, and an excellent library/cataloguing system Just like Plex. (despite your saying there's a difference I can find none, but I admit I am a novice at this.).

well then either there was a serious miss configuration that I did OR there are major updates with these filters. It has been years I did those experiments with MadVR, also never did with XBMC, only MPC-HC. However with your statement making such a claim, I am intrigued to try the same route with KODI. There is one thing though I use OpenELEC, and to use these filters I have to dump openELEC and use the windows version of KODI, which personally I do not like. Love openELEC. That being said, I am curious to try out. Also if at all I will be experimenting, I will do it on a projector based system. I just wonder if I will see any difference on a 130" screen.

That's what I have been asking. What's that alternative? I checked for Pioneer BDP 450. Used is around 36000/.

BDP-450 is EOS now, so I dont think you will be getting it now anywhere. When it was available people have purchased it as low as 15-16K. (http://www.hifivision.com/blu-ray-d...0-vs-pioneer-bdp-450-vs-samsung-bd-h6500.html). My friend purchased the same for 10k from Dubai ... :)

I am short of ideas now with what it can be compared. But you can try BDP-180 by pioneer. This is just an online search I did. Someone has to actually compare and confirm if there at all is a difference .... plus no idea about firmware hack to make it able to play ISO Disks and all.

I am a little curious about the discussions that are going on here. One thing that comes to my mind is that, in the heat of discussions, some fundamental issues have been sidelined. Terms and nomenclature have been given more importance than they deserve.

We are talking about Oppo Upscaling, HTPC using madVR, MKV files etc.

Let me see if I understand a few things right.

1. If you take a DVD, the highest resolution it can support is 720 x 480 pixels per frame for NTSC (or 720 x 576 pixels per frame for PAL), which is, at best, only 37.5% of the resolution of 720HD. At typical bit rates, you will get a file size of about 8.5GB for a 4 hour video.

2. Similarly, a Blu-ray supports a max of 19201080 pixels at a max of 59.94fps. For commercial reasons the video is stored and distributed in medium that has a capacity of 25GB.

When you come to computer file formats, what you do is to extract the essential information and compress that to the smallest size possible. Whether you use MKV or any other file, let us remember it is akin to an MP3. You are removing some information. What that means is that whether you use madVR or any other renderer, you will NEVER get the original image back. Why? Simply because it is not there any more.

So unless you get an uncompressed ISO file, whatever you do, you are playing around with data loss. What renderers and upscalers do is to create missing data and fill 'holes' in the image. This is very similar to what audio DACs do. They 'add' data to smoothen a digital curve to as close a natural analog curve as they can. But remember, all these are playing around with lost data, and trying to recreate that on the fly.

Now let us come to upscaling.

Upscaling can be done at two stages. One - at the source, and one just before playback. But again whatever is done, the max resolution you can get is 1920x1080 at 60fps. I think that is what Sam was trying to say. If a sub 100$ Blu-ray player can bypass the audio and video and send raw data faithfully to an AVR, that combination can do as good a job or even better than any source level upscaler such as an Oppo.

Beyond all this, given the same amount of data and upscaling, the only way to enhance your viewing experience is to have a better display mechanism - your TV or Projector. Given everything else being the same before data reaches the display, it is only the display that could make your viewing experience better.

I am not even talking about the difference between the data size and pixel density at the studio, and what arrives at home. There is a huge difference.

Cheers

Venkat, all valid points, but also the very reason one needs video upscaling (not necessarily HTPC).

Pretty much everyone has DVDs, but how many of us have CRT TVs? At the very least most of us have 1080p i.e. full HD TVs. That's a lot of missing data and holes that need to be filled in, otherwise the content looks pretty crappy to even begin with.

Take the case of 1080p content, which limits us to only Blu-ray discs. Not in India, but very certainly in the United States and most parts of the world, it does not make sense to buy a 1080p TV anymore. You can get a 4K TV for the same price, or just a little bit more. Again, playing 1080p content on a 4K TV raises the question of missing data and holes that need to be filled in.

Keeping that point aside, 1080p content (not ripped or compressed, but an actual Blu-ray disc) looks much better on a 4K TV than on a 1080p TV. This is without using any software like madVR, or even a Blu-ray player that upscales video, but because the TV itself upscales video to fill in the holes. Obviously, this is way better on high-end/expensive 4K TVs than on entry level 4K TVs.

But the point I want to make is that, 1080p content looks better on a 4K TV than on a 1080p TV. Doesn't really matter who is doing the upscaling, the TV, the Blu-ray player, or even madVR. Needless to say, the advantage always lies with a Blu-ray disc than with compressed MKV files. Fact of the matter is, with the distance between content and screen resolutions/size there are always going to be holes that need to be filled in. There is no way I can watch my DVD collection on a 4K TV. However, they do become watchable (and enjoyable) when ripped and upscaled with madVR on my PC.

HTPC does require some tweaking, especially if you are working with plugins and all, but the reward is worth, however, its certainly, not something that takes hours of configuration and setting up, you make it sound like a mental and physical torture .....:)
One can get the PC assembled by any PC Hardware shop for as low as 300 bucks, including windows and all, Rest all you need is to do is to install KODI and configure it to point it to your movie library and that's it. (and for that truck loads of tuts are available and there is a huge community supporting behind KODI for all configurations assistance)

If you are venturing into plugins and madvr kinda of stuff, then YES definitely you would need time and patience to get KODI configured per your needs. But then an avg used (which is what we are bringing out here) would not bother to go into all plugins and madvr stuff. Just getting a nice library and be able to play all formats is all one would need and KODI excels in that, with a decent hardware obviously. Lastly, I HAVE used MadVR extensively with MPC_HC and very frankly I did not find the PQ to be of something we can call night and day difference.

Coming to oppo,.... my argument is not the comparison of oppo to media player or HTPC. Of course popping a BD disk to watch a movie will always be easier in comparison to setting up HTPC or even a media player, specially with oldies ..... My argument was the price oppo bd player comes for and that for me is not justified .... oppo might be having better PQ than maybe the low-end BD players from sony or LG, but I am sure with better players from Panasonic or Pioneer will produce the same AV quality with atleast 1/2 the price of oppo if not 1/3rd.

Hey Sam,

Depends on what you are configuring I guess, but it really does take hours (when done my way). Let's just take the case of PotPlayer, forgetting keyboard shortcuts and general playback settings, one still has to spend time on the video decoder, the audio decoder, filters and filter priorities, subtitles, etc. all of with multiple sub menu options. And then you get to the actual video renderer and audio renderer. If you choose madVR in the video renderer, there are tons of options in there, and just switching between the scaling algorithms and deciding what looks best will take you at least a couple of days. Not to mention you have to read through a ton of tutorials and forum threads to even understand what madVR exactly does, and know what each setting accomplishes or changes.

Oh by the way, you don't really need to use the default video decoders that come with PotPlayer. You can decide and go for the best like LAV Filters, which again have tons of tweaking options.

PS: Not to put anybody off, but this can be a one-time setting as you can always export the settings in PotPlayer and madVR and import them in another PC or after a fresh install.

Nvidia DSR (for 4K video playback) again doesn't work out of the box, but needs to be set up.

Obviously, one can simply discard all of this, and go with any media player with default settings, or Kodi. Unfortunately though the quality will be average at best. MadVR does something exceptional, even if it's only filling in holes.

Coming to the Oppo, yes it is expensive, but it is also doing something special to fill in the holes and that comes at a price. Obviously not a requirement if you don't need any holes filled and are watching 1080p content on a 1080p TV, and don't plan to watch a DVD on a 1080p TV or a 4K TV.

You have no idea how RAID works do you, ?. I am assuming this is synology you are talking and by the explanation you have given I am again assuming that you configured your Synology with SHR (synology hybrid raid), and as the name suggest IT IS a proprietary RAID technology by Synology. With one disk tolerance it does not exactly mirror/replicate the data from one hard drive to another, it strips and works on parity. No wonder you were not able to access the data when you removed the hard drive from the NAS. If you would have neglected the SHR and configured your NAS in pure conventional RAID 1, it would have been proper mirroring..

I would also like to add , RAID is not backup per se, its offers redundancy. RAID 1 although called mirroring its not like copying a drive to another, so if that was your expectation that I am sorry you went in a wrong direction altogether ...

I wish I knew you before I bought the NAS or even better before I decided to sell off and move to a simpler solution. All the points you made regarding my post might be the more technically accurate ones. When you write SHR, I remember that I did that as it sounded / presented in the UI as the ideal solution.
A simple statement from you saying 'RAID is not backup per se, its offers redundancy' already shows my limitations of knowledge on this topic and it is true that a capable device goes wasted when the user (in this case me) does not have all the knowledge to use.

It is very clear to me that NAS needs a bit deeper technical skill set than just using a computer or a bluray player. And that is / has been exactly my point.
I request you to suggest the OP based on your expertise whether he will get benefit with using a NAS in his case.

If the requirement is only to aggregate the data, would an external HD with the needed capacity (DAS) will suffice or is there any added benefits by putting the Storage on a Network (NAS)? As I have been suggesting since the beginning that in my use case (possible for a regular average user use case) a DAS might suffice but I really appreciate if you could write few lines about this as it can help me as well as others who might not have full understanding of the topic.

Also good to know that these NAS device do not fail. Given the world we live in of planned obsolescence, it is good that these devices are built to last. Fortunately I did not experience dying of electronics personally but heard from friends of the stories of HDs TVs and all sort of electronics failing I got a bit skeptical about NAS failure as it is akin to put all valuables in one safety box and loosing the key.

So the only question I have is if a cheap bluray does not read the colours well or does not read and render well how much can an AVR correct that missing info? I might have a point there but I don't know. The experts will.

If a player does not read the disc well, then it needs to be thrown out of the Window. No AVR can do anything. It will be very much like a lot of DAC guys claiming near perfect rendition of MP3 files. As I wondered before, once the data is gone, what can anyone do?

But, there are a number of inexpensive player that do read well and transfer the data for further processing with no loss in between. Their upscaling may not be good or upto the mark, but they don's lose any data between the disc and the reading.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back