To stick with SoundMagic or try others ?

VSTEREO

Hi Members,

Looking out for your valuable recommendations on earphones.

My wife have been using SoundMagic E10 for about an year and very happy with its sound quality. But due to moderate build quality, wires are counting days. So planning to buy another one in <2k range to connect to Redmi Note4. I've listed down few models which has got good reviews and I'm more inclined to Cowon EM2. Usage: 1 hour daily.

Cowon EM2
MI Xiomi HD Pro
SoundMagic E10
Sound Magic ES18S

Am using xiaomi hd pro. The sound quality is great based on type of music. Some songs vocals are good, pop & jazz. Some song the treble is dominated & could not listen to music at high volume. It is like unbalanced sound but wider & represents detailed sound.
I too have Soundmagic E10C which suits for all music type, but bass love wont like.

Thanks Arun.

Yes, I do agree E10 lacks (comparatively) on bass but it really suits for casual listening. Do you use headphone amp? As I will not using headphone amp, do I need to take decision based on this perspective as well ?

Also, any Cowon EM2 users here? I know many (have) used/using Cowon EM1 but would like to know how EM2 is improved compared to EM1.

I personally liked the sound signature of ES18S more than E10c regarless of low price. Amazon has no question asked return policy. Try once.

Edit: Specifically, E10c has detailed sound with lacking bass while ES18S is more rounded with good bass. Choose your poison.

Last edited:
I switched from ES18 to a Xiaomi basic, and then to their balanced pro - both of them have awesome build quality, and decent sound quality. the angled drivers help them fit better than the soundmagic

I use the E80S. Solid clarity and just the right amount of bass. Their flagship IEM and build quality is also amazing. I am using one since Jan 2016, with my iPhone 6S. I am sure my next pair will also be E80S.

I personally liked the sound signature of ES18S more than E10c regarless of low price. Amazon has no question asked return policy. Try once.

Edit: Specifically, E10c has detailed sound with lacking bass while ES18S is more rounded with good bass. Choose your poison.

Interesting point. I too agree that higher cost doesn't mean that ES10 must be better than ES18s. Will make a note of your point. Thanks.

I switched from ES18 to a Xiaomi basic, and then to their balanced pro - both of them have awesome build quality, and decent sound quality. the angled drivers help them fit better than the soundmagic

But Pro seems to be 'out of stock' all time. Only Pro HD is available which costs 2k (fine for me). From MI official website, I don't see any difference between Pro and Pro HD (apart from name) so am I good to consider Pro HD ?

I use the E80S. Solid clarity and just the right amount of bass. Their flagship IEM and build quality is also amazing. I am using one since Jan 2016, with my iPhone 6S. I am sure my next pair will also be E80S.

Thank you for your comments about E80S. Unfortunately it is out of my budget.

I'm not sure about some of the headphones you mentioned but even though the wires of my e10 became bare naked. The sound, comfortableness and long time fatigue less listening of the earphone. I couldn't find any replacement to my e10. best spent money. If it snaps out, will buy another in the same lineup.

Have both e10 and the mi pro balanced armature and also the redmi note4. For film music/latest genere of music from mobile i will recommend the mi pro. With balanced sound and punchy bass. E10 i use for rock/classic on the xiio. Sound is excellent but needs the extra juice for getting good bass.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

So far, 3 votes for E10,3 votes for MI Pro and 2 votes for ES18 and. No comments about Cowon EM2 yet:sad:

@MI Pro users, am I good to order "Pro HD" if Pro is out-of-stock ? I believe, Pro and Pro HD are similar in sound quality and cosmetic changes.

So far, 3 votes for E10,3 votes for MI Pro and 2 votes for ES18 and. No comments about Cowon EM2 yet:sad:

@MI Pro users, am I good to order "Pro HD" if Pro is out-of-stock ? I believe, Pro and Pro HD are similar in sound quality and cosmetic changes.

I purchased from gearbest. Original. Xiaomi Mi IV Hybrid Dual Drivers.
Approx Rs.1200. free shipping India priority line. received in 10 days.
https://www.gearbest.com/earphones/pp_261864.html

I'd say search for reviews online and take a call
one negative for the Xiaomi is that their highs are a bit grainy/metallic, and the bass is not so strong ( or maybe its the highs overpowering them) but once eq'd properly, they sound better than the ES18, especially the bass
The ES18 sounds great out of the box, but if you try to EQ it, the results are not that great - bass gets too boomy, and the highs get harsh

I purchased from gearbest. Original. Xiaomi Mi IV Hybrid Dual Drivers.
Approx Rs.1200. free shipping India priority line. received in 10 days.
https://www.gearbest.com/earphones/pp_261864.html

Thanks all. I have placed an order for Mi IV Hybrid dual drivers from above site.

@greenhorn. Thanks for bringing up EQ settings. Once I receive the item, will play with EQ until I get a sound that my wife likes.:eek:hyeah: Digital trend (especially mobile accessories) keeps growing in very fast pace. When I purchased Senheiser Street around 2013 not much competition but in just 4 years, so many products are in market.

I was part of the first group buys for the creative EP 630 back in 2007 on another forum, and I am sure i would have bought at least 40 of them over various GB for different people
I had two sets, one i bought in 2006, and another in 2009 because my boss swiped my original pair. then switched to PL11 in 2011, then to ES18 in 2014, and bought the xiaomi in ear basic recently. What is even more astounding is that prices have come down while build and sound quality have gone up!

Hi Members,

Looking out for your valuable recommendations on earphones.

My wife have been using SoundMagic E10 for about an year and very happy with its sound quality. But due to moderate build quality, wires are counting days. So planning to buy another one in <2k range to connect to Redmi Note4. I've listed down few models which has got good reviews and I'm more inclined to Cowon EM2. Usage: 1 hour daily.

Cowon EM2
MI Xiomi HD Pro
SoundMagic E10
Sound Magic ES18S
I have used sound magic es18s a couple of years back and was not very impressed with the sound quality. Though the build quality seemed to be fine but they gave up on me in less than a year. The main reason was the switch that you can switch with different devices.
I currently use a jays five and I am quite satisfied with it. The bass is good and balanced (not For a hardcore basshead) mids are fine (though I would love more attacking mids) and the highs are not bright at all. I like a bit warm sound.
I would be able to give you a comparison with 1more piston fit in a week or so.
Also I would recommend to add kz zs5 as an option. Though it's a bit over your budget, many people swear by it beating earphones upto 10k price range. It's on my wish list too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back