Today's Economic Times introductory article about wifi at home

Looks like they picked up write-up from elsewhere and just edited it. I know how good a Wi-Fi performs. You can do browsing, chat and some movie & music streaming. For HD movie streaming or playing online games Wi-Fi isn't enough. For me it's wired all the way until we have N Dual band on all my devices.

Yeky I am seriously thinking of picking up a Wireless N router to replace my Wireless G. Is this a significant upgrade? I could see the clear difference when I upgraded from B to G.

Thanks

Yeky I am seriously thinking of picking up a Wireless N router to replace my Wireless G. Is this a significant upgrade? I could see the clear difference when I upgraded from B to G.

Thanks

It all depends on your usage George. We've tried streaming full HD movies over wireless N and it was stuttering. This was using a WD NAS, Xtreamer and WRT 610 N. However this was using the 2.4 Ghz band so the maximum theoretical is around 150 Mbps, I haven't had a chance to test it using the 5 Ghz band which should be faster. I noticed the N router's reach a bit longer than a bog standard G router. So it all depends on your usage and equipments you're using. Do let me know if I need to answer any specific questions.

Thanks Teky

I realise that upgrading one item(router) and not the rest is also a problem. At this time I am also looking at a gigabit switch to connect my NAS-which has a gigabit ethernet card), my new PH A200 in which i plan to put a large 2tb drive, and possibly upgrade my computer's nic card/along with a Thermaltake USB docking station with eSata so that all the machines on that network can transfer data among themselves at very high speeds or video when connected to a projector or . The wireless will be only for streaming, and with many Buffalo wireless points with me I can ensure that the entire house has a good signal. In addition I also am aware of "mesh wireless" options at affordable pricing), which while not Wireless N or Draft N also provide good signal strength for audio usage.
George

Most wifi routers perform sub par. the netgear wndr3700 was the first decent performer released last year. All routers perform porly if you enable WPA/TKIP authentication there is performance drop of 40%. Use only WPA2/AES authentication/encryption.

HTH

Thanks Teky

I realise that upgrading one item(router) and not the rest is also a problem. At this time I am also looking at a gigabit switch to connect my NAS-which has a gigabit ethernet card), my new PH A200 in which i plan to put a large 2tb drive, and possibly upgrade my computer's nic card/along with a Thermaltake USB docking station with eSata so that all the machines on that network can transfer data among themselves at very high speeds or video when connected to a projector or . The wireless will be only for streaming, and with many Buffalo wireless points with me I can ensure that the entire house has a good signal. In addition I also am aware of "mesh wireless" options at affordable pricing), which while not Wireless N or Draft N also provide good signal strength for audio usage.
George

I would suggest you to have a look at the WRT 610N - It's the dual band N router with 4 Gigabit ports, Hope that should be sufficient for your to connect all the devices. I still believe wired is the best option when it comes for streaming Full HD movies (Sizes over 25 GB). For the normal video streaming of files wireless should work perfect. Do try the router if you get a chance.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back