Total power output of AVR

Suppu

what this
1 channel driven and 2 channel driven actually means?

The manual (yht 196- avr2064)) says
minimum RMS output (1 channel driven)
(1kHz, 0.9% THD, 6ohm)
Front L/R - 100 W/ch
Center - 100 W
Surround - 100 W/ch
SW (50 kHz, 0.9% THD, 6ohm) - 100 W

RX-V473 specs. shows

5-channel 575W = 115W x 5 (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 1 ch driven)
400W = 80W x 5 (6 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09 % THD, 2 ch driven)
675W = 135W x 5 (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10 % THD, 1 ch driven, JEITA)
RX-V473 - '73 Series Receivers - Yamaha - India

@manindra.mukherjee commented
"I actually called up Yamaha Service to get an idea of what is the overall power output of the amp (HTR 2064) when all channels are driven since this information is nowhere mentioned in the datahseet. The Yamaha rep confirmed that the amp delivers approx 35-40W per channel (20Hz-20KHz , 6 Ohm ) when all channels are driven "

Minimum RMS output power (1 channel driven)
Dynamic Power (1channel driven)
Maximum useful output power (JEITA, 1channel driven)
what all these means?

I am no expert but whatever little I think I know:

The manufacturers are expected to specify what is the mean and maximum power ratings of the AVR. But each of them have different ways of arriving at their ratings so it has to be considered with a pinch of salt.

Power @ 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 1 ch driven
It means when they connected a load of 6 ohm, played a tone of 1 khz frequency, with only one channel connected, the receiver could deliver the said power with a distortion of 0.9% to the speaker.

If multiple channels are driven simultaneously, then obviously the available power per channel will come down. If speakers of 8 ohms are used, then the usable power will be more.

A rating at 1 khz tone is quite misleading since in reality, the AVR has to deliver frequencies in a wider spectrum. So 20hz to 20khz is close to true rating and at that power output, the THD has to be minimum.

For the given example of Yamaha 473, I would consider 80Wx 5 @ 20hz to 20,000 hz as the specs that closely suggests the capability of the AVR.

The maximum electrical power consumption of the AVR on other hand is always lesser than the sum of musical power of all channels. For this model, it could be 250 to 300W. This is because in reality, not all channels will draw all available power all the time. It also depends on the efficiency of the amplifiers used. If they are more efficient, then less electrical power is consumed for the given musical power. The power drawn also depends on the sensitivity of the speaker. More sensitive speaker would consume lesser power from the AVR.

But my suggestion is not to lose sleep over the ratings because a lower powered AVR can be better sounding than a higher wattage AVR. Power is just one aspect of its capabilities.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back