Tower Speaker Positioning

balzac

Would it impact the performance of the Tower Speakers if its kept around a foot (1 Foot/12 Inches) above ground level?

What arrangements I need to do to ensure that the Performance of the tower speakers is not impacted? Or should I not go for a Tower Speaker at all?

I have attached the layout of my TV Unit and it also has the location of the Speakers shown.

Attachments

• TV_UNIT_Info.jpg
    TV_UNIT_Info.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 122
Hi,

Tower speakers are used mainly if you are more into music. Some use the same as decoration to blend with other furniture.

You can consider bookshelf speakers which deliver the same or more frequencies between 20hz - 20khz.

Based on the available space and layout..decide!

What would they be placed on? It should be something solid. Also the tweeters should ideally be at ear level.

What would they be placed on? It should be something solid. Also the tweeters should ideally be at ear level.
Yes. It's on solid base. The drawers at the end of the shelf is where I would place it.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Check if the speakers are impeded in any way by the TV cabinet i.e. is it partially covering the Woofers/Mid range, the tweeters are usually on the top end.
Ideally you may need a good 6" + space behind the speakers, if it has a port(hole) for better bass response. For listening to music and centering of the sound you may have to "Toe in" the speakers i.e. they are not placed straight aginst the wall as you have illustrated. The out side end of the speaker should be moved away from the wall.
The same rules apply for "Book shelf" speakers.

While we are discussing position of Towers can someone throw light on position of Sub? Should it be in the centre or offset to one side between receiver and one of the towers? Another thing I would like to know is that is Receiver has provision for 2 Subs, should they be of the same make and model?

Yes. It's on solid base. The drawers at the end of the shelf is where I would place it.

Couple of things. Distance from the wall and isolation from the cabinet to avoid the moving shelves and other draws that could resonate, create noise, etc.

While we are discussing position of Towers can someone throw light on position of Sub? Should it be in the centre or offset to one side between receiver and one of the towers? Another thing I would like to know is that is Receiver has provision for 2 Subs, should they be of the same make and model?

Nothing beats a sub crawl. A must do. Ideal locations are between the front speakers and center speaker. Exact location would still need listening sessions to perfect. Bad bass response can cause headaches.

It would be great to have two identical subs. If not try to match the driver size to maintain the bass response to an extent.

MaSh

Thanks. Though my Sub is on the floor, I will try moving it to one of the sides to see how it works. But why should be offset from centre?

Not quite the best way. But possibly doable, I guess. I meant solid like a floor. As mash said, isolation will be needed. Also you will probably have the tweeters much above ear level which will affect sound a good deal.

In your case I would go with bookshelves on sturdy shelves rigidly fixed on the wall.
This is all assuming you are looking to play music. If it is only for movies, you could even go with large satellites. They are pretty good for music as well.

It all depends on what you are looking for and where are you willing to compromise. It's always a compromise between sound, space and aesthetics.

This is what I have done in my living room.
I have the hifi speakers on stands and pull them out enough to be able to open the drawers and HT satellites on the wall.
(I have separate hifi and HT setups).

2igygt4.jpg

Based on what I read, Tower speakers are out of question. :)

My usage is 70% Movies and 30% Music.

I am honestly thinking of either going for QA 3010 Front L/R (2.0) and then gradually add speakers into the package.

Or

Go for Paradigm CT 100 5.1 package.

Please suggest any other speakers I could consider. I am going to hear BA 26 soon.

Also, should wall mount the speakers or simply make a shelf and place it there?

Please throw in any suggestions.

Hi

Look at Polk RTi A1s or A3s, Definitive Technology Bookshelf speakers SM45/55.

Depending on budget, you can also look at other brands...high end models of JBLs, Jamo (C Series) etc.

Wall Mount / Stands etc all depends on what is your room layout, what furniture is present etc. etc. You need to decide this from a decorative setup perspective or performance perspective.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back