Tracing The PeeCeeBee

Thought this might interest people.
The PeeCeeBee preamp's final prototype showing some bold traces. ;)

Thought this might interest people.
The PeeCeeBee preamp's final prototype showing some bold traces. ;)

Hi Shaan,
What is your subjective impression of playing around with the quantum of first harmonic? Does it go all tube-y when peaked?

Hi Joshua.

I think you meant second harmonic?

Yes it does. It sounds like two totally different preamplifiers at the two extremes.

My favorite sweet spot is somewhere in between. But this spot changes with person, time, mood, weather and age. I was thinking, what if one can find that spot without changing the preamp...
And we're here.

Hmmmm, tasty! Distortion on demand, I'm definitely interested in one of those!

Thanks. Nice way to put it - distortion on demand.

The simulated model shows a possible span from 0.00003% to 3%, like from a blank slate to a canvas full of doodles. The prototype is doing 0.001% to 1% as of now. I believe I can manage another zero in the lower one. Will update soon.

Well coming from Shaan it must be good, to a novice like me, its all greek and latin. I will just wait for a video with a sample music recording.

Shaan, please try to incorporate a remote into the preamp. Not everyone will want to get up to adjust the volume.

MaSh

Well coming from Shaan it must be good, to a novice like me, its all greek and latin. I will just wait for a video with a sample music recording.

Thanks, will upload some samples shortly.

Shaan, please try to incorporate a remote into the preamp. Not everyone will want to get up to adjust the volume.

MaSh

Remote volume and selector kits of various qualities are available. Those are not part of the main preamp. There will be no digital control systems on the same board as the preamp. It will have its own power supply on board however.

That said, say you buy a complete preamp from me installed in a cabinet with multiple inputs. Of course I will install one of those remote motorized volume control kits inside.

WARNING: Violation of forum rules can lead to your ban.

Thanks, will upload some samples shortly.

Remote volume and selector kits of various qualities are available. Those are not part of the main preamp. There will be no digital control systems on the same board as the preamp. It will have its own power supply on board however.

That said, say you buy a complete preamp from me installed in a cabinet with multiple inputs. Of course I will install one of those remote motorized volume control kits inside.

Yes I am aware of those kits and the issue is exactly what you mentioned, varying quality.

MaSh

Preamp update:

Testing different THD level at varying output levels.

YouTube Link-> THD vs. LEVEL

THD control is now confined to a resistance rage of 10K. This potentiometer will be additional to the volume potentiometer. Next update will report THD vs Load impedance, clipping performance and listening tests.

Stay tuned for more.

Preamp update:

Testing different THD level at varying output levels.

YouTube Link-> THD vs. LEVEL

THD control is now confined to a resistance rage of 10K. This potentiometer will be additional to the volume potentiometer. Next update will report THD vs Load impedance, clipping performance and listening tests.

Stay tuned for more.

GB is on for the new pre in case anyone is interested.

A group buy has been initiated on diyaudio I guess. I opted for a fully populated and tested board. I saw a few other HFV FMs as well participating there.

I will not start a new thread for my built, as i want to keep all the information ( problems & solutions if arises during built) in PEECEEBEE thread itself. So I will update my built journey here in this thread. Today I have finished populating the PCB, took 3 days for me as I work only in evening. Soldering was easy task but time taking. All resistors are MFR 1% tolerance, the transistors are all closed matched say within 1% of hfe. all film and electrolytic capacitors are from panasonic, vishay and wima except for the 22pf. I must say there is really some serious count of components in this PCB.

IMG_20201027_230340.jpgIMG_20201027_230354.jpgIMG_20201027_230405.jpgIMG_20201027_230414.jpg

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back