Tracing The PeeCeeBee

I'm not sure why you would term the 5532 noisy?

It's more than good enough for pro devices like studio mixers.

If you're very concerned about noise figures, try something with an AD797.

I use 5532 in my active crossover and it is considerably less noisy than TL072. Almost equal to OPA2134.

The preamp board has a base, so opamp switching will be easy. :)

I was thinking about OPA2604AU.
Distortion 0.0003%
Noise 10nV
Slew rate 25V/uS

NE5532
Distortion not stated
Noise 5nV
Slew rate 9v/uS

Joshua, youre right, the NE5532 is low noise. OPA has better distortion, though.

Last edited:
Well, OPA2134 has 0.00008%, 20V/uS, 8nV/sqrtHz. But this difference of zeros will hardly ever come into play in audio application. Also, both 5532 and 2134 drives 32R headphones equally well. Considering their price difference though, makes me think. :)
p.s. I have measured 5532's THD to be less than 0.001% at 1KHz 2VRMS into 10K load.

I concur with Shaan. The "noisiness" of your average 5532 is low enough. They are used (in the hundreds) in professional mixers.
Cheers,
~HP

Built couple of dual mono dedicated CRC PSU boards for the PeeCeeBee V4 amp and biased it to 500mV class A:)

18jgno.jpg

x59fo0.jpg

2aijymq.jpg

2a82ejo.jpg

15p49c2.jpg

24gkdok.jpg

6pc595.jpg

2ilygiv.jpg

How is the result in class A? How hot dose your heat sink gets?

It sounds a little better with open and clear vocals. Bass is little tight and heat sinks get hot with 1 hr of play not so much as my other class A amps like the SX or the Aleph.

Shaan, this Pre Amp circuit uses a pretty noisy opAmp, the NE5532. Is there any other circuit which uses lower noise op amps?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I was thinking about OPA2604AU.
Distortion 0.0003%
Noise 10nV
Slew rate 25V/uS

NE5532
Distortion not stated
Noise 5nV
Slew rate 9v/uS

Joshua, youre right, the NE5532 is low noise. OPA has better distortion, though.

Well, OPA2134 has 0.00008%, 20V/uS, 8nV/sqrtHz. But this difference of zeros will hardly ever come into play in audio application. Also, both 5532 and 2134 drives 32R headphones equally well. Considering their price difference though, makes me think. :)
p.s. I have measured 5532's THD to be less than 0.001% at 1KHz 2VRMS into 10K load.

Guys,

there's lot more than what datasheets say. have a look:

NwAvGuy: Op Amp Measurements

http://www.ac-vogel.de/Download/Download/Audio%20Opamps,%20fact,%20no%20myths%20and%20THD%20measurement%20results.pdf

Regards,
Aniket

The consistency alone of 5532's THD vs Frequency curve is quite magical; not even thinking about level! No wonder the thing has passed the test of time.

Last edited:
...Do share the Comparison between both the Mosfets...

...There seems to be a "universal" agreement of better sonics with the Exicon FETs around the net. Time to check it out (however, I am expecting zero difference ;))...

I have compared four channels for about half a day. Two with K/J pair and two with 10N/10P pair, other components and PSU being the same. I could only notice a slight improvement in the lowest octaves. Above about 50-60Hz everything sounds the same between them, indistinguishable. A relief I must say. There are no audible clipping artifacts with the new pair as well as the old. I am however, not 100% sure that the difference in the low octaves are due fully to the MOSFETs as the ECXs are running with Panasonic FM and the K/J with Panasonic M+FC.

I must admit that I have been listening to V4 with the old pair for more than 3 months on an everyday basis now and for a "genuine" subjective idea of the sonic differences with the new pair I need to give them a long listen (shouldn't be a problem, festive season is close and my house is far from the noises).

I noticed during biasing that the ECX pair doesn't need that many turns of VR3 to reach 100mA. A real good thing. Thermal stability is just fine. Measurements will follow soon.

...to be continued later.

2kBUgh0AH_WRtJf2r_CxXZ6EOGROyA98SxpTpYAh1PQrTNgUbf82KMbJkVNsUieu8-2AjCd4Q6Egy1Is5Dk=w800

7sbFaiBkYVftQnSDhlex7jx0zkzboxnNk4sVQER2JEl-iyVRgX0i_Ow3sCEY40V0E-FaYHJkeQk_mRu_N8Y=w800

Last edited:
A fresh CRC PSU to power the PeeCeeBees (or any other amplifier) and also protect the speakers at the same time, is here!!! :)

OFa-nt_AQN36clmH4LTSfyany4oE97t27olBLtV5koiMotJXE7PEULV0rFCP_jV72Sgawibts-W37-2C6V0=w1024

Hi Shaan da, finally had time yesterday to wire up the amps and play them... My God .. was blown away by the performance.. a very fine amplifier I must say and thank you very much for all your help..

May I please have more details about the Power supply ??

Best wiskes,

Lifewater

Hi Shaan da, finally had time yesterday to wire up the amps and play them... My God .. was blown away by the performance.. a very fine amplifier I must say and thank you very much for all your help..

May I please have more details about the Power supply ??

Best wiskes,

Lifewater

Hi Kaushikda.

I's happy to know the V4s are playing well and you like the sonics! Can't imagine a more pleasant day! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

Here are details of the new PSU:

It will have two independent fully discrete speaker protection circuits powered directly from the rails with symmetrical loading on both rails. No need for a 12V PSU. Less wirework!

CRC filtering of rails. Meaning extremely low ripple, perfect for Class-A amplifiers, meanwhile automatic bypassing of rail resistors (the R in CRC) during high transient current demand.

Pads for both TO220 and TO247 diodes that can be mounted underboard and fixed on chassis floor requiring no individual heatsinking of the diodes.

Accommodation for relays in different form factors with 10/20/30A contacts if desired and MOSFET driving of relays if desired.

There will be two variations, one for center tapped and another for split secondary transformers (if I can't make one design allow for both).

No need for a 12V PSU. Less wirework!

@Shaan

Usually what is available in the market are either mono or stereo version of the speaker protection modules. And 99% of these modules run with 12V 'AC' and not DC so it has in-built PSU a tiny bridge rectifier module I think which I actually blew if you remember when I accidently powered with 24v. But your PSU gives the added advantage of not running additional AC wiring from the transformer to the speaker protection module(s) and just take it from the PSU itself :clapping:

Back