Transparent spkr cable - do you recommend this?

skumar

Hello,

Saw this cable for 45/100mtr (inclusive of UK shipping) - Transparent speaker cable, 2 x 126/0.1, 10A.

Is this a VFM deal or should I try to get something else? Any comparable cables that are available in India? Will any of the sellers ship to Hyd?

My setup - Onkyo SXR-504 and HTS-240, 80% movies and 20% music.

Thanks for your time.

Kumar.

Thanks for all the responses, does it mean I could simply purchase Finolex/Havells electric wiring cable and connect my speakers? I am willing to experiment, how is the gauge determined? Locally, the electric cable is known as 1/18 etc?

Thanks for all the responses, does it mean I could simply purchase Finolex/Havells electric wiring cable and connect my speakers? I am willing to experiment, how is the gauge determined? Locally, the electric cable is known as 1/18 etc?

Please don't. Also don't buy some unknown brand just because it is cheap.

There are a large range of good and inexpensive speaker cables available in the country. Look for Mx (budget), DAC, Bandridge. These will cost you between 50 to 100 Rupees a meter. Look for 16 AWG. I would advise that you measure the exact distances of the speakers from your AVR including whatever routing you are looking at, and buy five meters over that total length you need. You will not need 100 meters.

Cheers

hey guys i never believed that speaker wires could have so much of a difference with a setup. I was using my missions m35 with the normal speaker wires that came with my Onkyo hts230 5.1 system - i replaced the front satellites with the mission for stereo listening and i was decently satisfied hearing 2 channel music on it - until i.e. i got a 2 channel amp.

Today after auditioning the norge 2060 and 2000 mofset i decided to get some speaker cables - decent ones that what came with the system. So i got some 14awg cables for around 100 bucks a meter (got a discount when compared with other places in Pune). He did mention that the cables were lil bright (i did not pay much attention as the missions seemed neutral with the onkyo till today.

Its a complete different story today - the mids are very clear, bass is tighter but the treble is shrill (too much for my liking).

Can anyone suggest slightly laid back speaker wires or neutral speaker wires - budget is not a problem since i need only 2meter on each side.

Expert suggestion needed.

cables do make a difference. But again, exotic ones may not be that justified. I have the same exp. And I made the same upgrade - to ofc transparent 14awg cables from onkyo htib cables. Setup is more detailed now.
Onkyo htib cables are thin - thin cables mean MORE resistance. Common wisdom (incorrect) that people carry is that thicker cable means more in the path of the speaker and hence more resistance.
I wonder what would it cost onkyo to include better cables 14awg, or even thinner 16awg.

regards

hey guys i never believed that speaker wires could have so much of a difference with a setup. I was using my missions m35 with the normal speaker wires that came with my Onkyo hts230 5.1 system - i replaced the front satellites with the mission for stereo listening and i was decently satisfied hearing 2 channel music on it - until i.e. i got a 2 channel amp.

Today after auditioning the norge 2060 and 2000 mofset i decided to get some speaker cables - decent ones that what came with the system. So i got some 14awg cables for around 100 bucks a meter (got a discount when compared with other places in Pune). He did mention that the cables were lil bright (i did not pay much attention as the missions seemed neutral with the onkyo till today.

Its a complete different story today - the mids are very clear, bass is tighter but the treble is shrill (too much for my liking).

Can anyone suggest slightly laid back speaker wires or neutral speaker wires - budget is not a problem since i need only 2meter on each side.

cables do make a difference. But again, exotic ones may not be that justified. I have the same exp. And I made the same upgrade - to ofc transparent 14awg cables from onkyo htib cables. Setup is more detailed now.
Onkyo htib cables are thin - thin cables mean MORE resistance. Common wisdom (incorrect) that people carry is that thicker cable means more in the path of the speaker and hence more resistance.
I wonder what would it cost onkyo to include better cables 14awg, or even thinner 16awg.

regards

yes after playing the system for 8 hours at a stretch the sound has settled down a lot - albeit its still forward kinda with more detail (i like it) but the treble too has been pushed higher IMHO. Now i realize fully what the Onkyo "stereo" sound is like.....like everyone else claims (it was not that bad with the included cables).
Anyways movies sound better with that extra detail - but this has definately opened up (rather pushed me) into gettign a separate system for music. 5.1 for movies - 2.0 for music. (now how do i share the sub as when needed - another problem - but then again if i do get a matching stereo amp for music for my missions - i will let go of the sub).

Anyway what brand do i get for transparency (like neutral sound from cables)

If I may, it is not just the wire that makes a difference. It is also the insulating material and how the wires (+ and -) are placed in relation to each other.

While I am no fan of the hideous prices many cable companies charge do not discount the effect of the surrounding materials. I have rolled my own for power cable with good results but have found it difficult to exceed the sound quality of good brand speaker and interconnect cable.

My solution has been to buy used cable where the price drop is often by half. A good source for used equipment in the US is audiogon.com. Perhaps some of the sellers will ship to India and cables are not that heavy to ship.

I have owned Transparent (forget model) and they make pretty good cable overall without comment on price.

Based on what you have tried already I would suggest Kimber 8tc or 12tc for speaker cable. This is a solid mid to mid-high level cable with a very natural sound. The two models are the same and just the number of strands vary.

There are better cables for sure. But for price to performance these kimbers can't be beat. I ran an older version of these cables for many years until I lucked into a set of uber-high end used FMS cables.

Stay away from the lower kimber lines (I think they are the 8vs and 8vc) as they do not give enough performance to be high-end in my opinion.

Also I must add, the shrillness you hear may not be the cable but your equipment. It is possible that the better cable is letting you hear more of your equipment. I had an Onkyo avr for a short time for home theater. Had to return it because of an edginess to the sound. Picked up NAD instead and felt much better. You will have to experiment to come to a conclusion. But thats the fun of this hobby!

Last edited:
Based on what you have tried already I would suggest Kimber 8tc or 12tc for speaker cable. This is a solid mid to mid-high level cable with a very natural sound. The two models are the same and just the number of strands vary.

There are better cables for sure. But for price to performance these kimbers can't be beat. I ran an older version of these cables for many years until I lucked into a set of uber-high end used FMS cables.

Stay away from the lower kimber lines (I think they are the 8vs and 8vc) as they do not give enough performance to be high-end in my opinion.

Also I must add, the shrillness you hear may not be the cable but your equipment. It is possible that the better cable is letting you hear more of your equipment. I had an Onkyo avr for a short time for home theater. Had to return it because of an edginess to the sound. Picked up NAD instead and felt much better. You will have to experiment to come to a conclusion. But thats the fun of this hobby!

returning may not be an option in India :mad:

anyway i do believe the cable is bringing out the edginess in the onkyo - which is allright for movies actually.

I wish to get a stereo amp soon - NAD and Marantz is top of my list. I do believe these are warm and neutral and should go along with my missions.

Lets see if i get the Kimber 8tc anywhere here in Pune

returning may not be an option in India :mad:

anyway i do believe the cable is bringing out the edginess in the onkyo - which is allright for movies actually.

I wish to get a stereo amp soon - NAD and Marantz is top of my list. I do believe these are warm and neutral and should go along with my missions.

Lets see if i get the Kimber 8tc anywhere here in Pune

If you are going stereo integrated amp I would point you to some other models that c/would exceed NAD or alteast be other choices to consider.

The vendors here would be Creek (a british company), Arcam (another British company), Bryston (a Canadian company). And there are several others but these I have personal experience with. I own a NAD avr for home theator. NAD is good, no doubt. But I also currently own a Creek 4330 integrated amp (from several years back and Creek has new models now) which I can't part with because of its very nice relaxed, open, and authortative sound quality. Its runs a bedroom system and I can't give it up! The Creek equipment is within the same price range as a NAD.

Another option is to go used. Look at a USA site audiogon.com which lists used high-end equipment. If you are in India perhaps one of the sellers will ship to you. Used can be quite effective to keep cost down while getting equipment that will exceed your budget for new. Of course do your dillegence to be careful. Look for a seller with good ratings and pay by credit card or paypal if possible so you have some buyer protection. For volatage issues check if there is a British equivalent to the USA audiogon.com...

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back