troubleshooting hum

greenhorn

After successfully finding the culprit for my feedback issue, I'm still trying to find out the source for the residual hum in my setup.

current set up

3 tape decks connected via a mechanical 3 way switch to amp's tape deck in,
turntable hooked up phono in.
Tape out to speakers via splitter.
Speakers : logitech Z 2300 and a 5" active bookshelf.

There has always been this residual hum, but now that my turntable's output is rather low, I've been running it with the speakers turned up, and the hum has gone up too.

The funny thing is, If i touch *any* of my equipment's metal chassis, the hum goes down.

I tried grounding the chassis to a point in the earth socket. Didnt work. Possibly my flat's wiring has faulty earthing.

The hum is there only when the speakers are connected to the amp.
But it does not matter if the amp is turned on or not.

The signal cables going to the speakers (both are active) are kept away from the power signals.

Very confused. Only thing I see left is to take a longer wire and try hooking it up to one of the window frames exposed metal (worked in my old house)

In the amplifier chasis, make some scratches to expose the metal (you can use a screw driver), take a wire, connect one end of it to the ground in the amplifier circuit and solder the other end to the exposed metal. I had solved hum issue like this many times.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back