Troubleshooting Onkyo HTS-3400

zhukov032186

Hello everyone, I recently assembled my first surround sound system and am running into some issues, perhaps you can help me out with.

Obviously, I bought the 3400 series from Onkyo. It was a factory refurb for about $200. I've hooked it up to my PC via HDMI-to-MiniDP (AMD R9-295x2 has built in audio of decent quality, as does the motherboard, but it was more convenient because I had HDMI cables...)

I'm using 16 gauge wiring around a small room, and was very careful with my wiring for it to be neat, avoid breaking or bending a lot of strands. There are no cross connections or stray bare wires touching things they ought not be touching.

I can hear most applications fine. However, some things that are very loud or have a lot of bass seem to be causing me issues, specifically War Thunder and Naval Action (two games very prone to loud explosions and thundering noise). It starts off fine, but after playing for a couple of minutes, the sound cuts out completely. Usually after a few moments, it comes back in, then cuts out again.

If I tab out, the device shows audio signals (the little volume meter is bouncing like normal) but I hear nothing. If I disable the device, or turn off the receiver, and then reactivate, the audio will usually pick up again, at least briefly.

I thought it might be TeamSpeak, as I've heard rumors it can cause issues, but it does it when TeamSpeak is closed, too.

From my perspective, there is no reasonable cause for it to not work. It shouldn't be the games, because it's highly unlikely two games would be causing the exact same problem, therefore it's the audio itself that is causing the problem, and most likely related to the loud noise. However, I just watched a movie on Netflix and during a fairly loud scene of gunfire, the sound never cut out.

I'm confused, a little pissed off, and now I'm hungry. Theories or suggestions?

To add some additional information

Crosshair V Formula-Z via TosLink or RCA
or
AMD R9-295x2 via Mini-DP to HDMI

If I do an audio test in Windows, usually the first piece to sound is partial or even sometimes silent.

Originally I was running with the PC volume maxed (I used to wear headphones) and the receiver down, in this instance it would cut out very quickly and stay out. Later, I switched it around with the PC volume very low and the receiver higher. It now lasts longer, and when it cuts out, it usually comes back in after a few moments. It will cycle on and off like this periodically throughout.

When it cuts out under these circumstances, ALL speakers go silent. I can still see the little volume meter bouncing though so signal is being transmitted, it's just not playing.

I learned about "crossover" and checked settings. It is properly configured (it was close before, off one point, but is not set properly. It still does it.)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back