Tryst with iDSD Nano DAC

thx911

Picked-up the iDSD Nano DAC while i was in states last week, shes' a pretty DAC that her creators claim as the world's first smallest, portable, battery-powered DAC that plays all known high-resolution formats: PCM/DSD/DXD natively.

30vdr2r.jpg

I laid my eyes on her on this forum, she somehow nudged the others out of my attention in her own charming way, the others being Loki,Pulse,Dfly etc...all of them pretty and mysterious in thier own ways.

4lhgus.jpg

After a brief online fling, we decided to meet, she had packed her bags ready to move-in and was carrying,

1) iFi iDSD Nano DAC, the beauty
2) A-B USB Cable
3) 2 RCA to 2 RCA Cable
4) Stick-on gel footers (4 nos)
5) Rubber or Silica Pad..i don't the material but it is soft (I think to be used as a seperator)
6) 2 Rubber Rings(think for fastening to a Phone/other ifi products)
7) Black velvet pouch (for stashing away pan masala? nah! you know best what to do)
8) Instructions with a attached warranty card (you'd badly wish her folks provided more than just 6 bullet points which anyone dating her would intuitively discover anyways)

kbwoxl.jpg

She was not carrying that phone, it was placed beside her to give you a visual idea on her size!

How does she look?

Well built, full(aluminium) bodied. Feels good in your hands, the surface texture won't easily get smudged from groping hands(and lips....yuk yuk)
She was created to do "on the go" - palm-full and portable, she will easily slide into your pant pockets, really compact measuring 87(L)mm x 68mm x 28mm.
She is size zero, light weight at 162g
Tiny LED orifice over the body that gets all colorful(7 colors to be precise) with different feeds(file types, fellas)
USB 3.0(2.0 compatible) port at the back, she gets all charged-up when you plug your PC in!
a Filter switch at the back if you want to hear the same sound a bit differently!
Digital Output at the back, graciously covered by rubber(cup)

2u4ijrm.jpg

In the front,
Hid behind the two rubber cups in the front are the RCA plug-ons
a 3.5mm headphone socket(those with 6.3mm forget her, she can't handle, too big, unless..), she blows 130mW @ 16?, can blow any ear monitor to hi-end headphone with ease not bad not bad....
the analogue volume knob nipping out - Just perfect to handle, especially when your are enjoying the heavenly pleasure of music eyes closed!

dc9fle.jpg

She's quite versatile & eloquent, she can read & sing,

PCM from 16/44kHz up to 32/384kHz.
DSD all the way up to 6.2MHz.
DXD up to 384kHz.

What's inside? ;)

Curiosity kills the cow! she keeps me guessing.. she wont let me know. ok, fine, here's a clue she left "a Burr-Brown chip" that was coded by AMR. AMR who? well, her folks in a way, that's from where apparently she got all these stunning features and her claim to fame. one more thing, she can hold on for a loooong time(10hrs with a Li-po pack @ 1400mAh) that's pretty exciting isn't it? If you can't stop yourself from knowing more you can read more on her profile page here.

Now, enough of talking lets look at the figure(s),

DAC: Bit-Perfect DSD & DXD DAC by Burr Brown (1-DAC Chip; 2-Channel; 4-Signals)
Filter: PCM: Standard/Minimum Phase digital (selectable)
DSD: Standard/Extended Range analogue (selectable)
DXD: Bit-Perfect Processing, analogue filter (fixed)

Input: USB 3.0 (2.0 compatible)
compatible with iPhone,iPod, iPad and Android Devices USB-OTG

Output SPDIF RCA (only PCM up to 192KHz)
Audio RCA
3.5mm Headphone

Dynamic Range: >104dB
THD &N (35mW) < 0.005%
THD &N (Line) < 0.005%
Output Power: > 130mW
Output Voltage: >3.3V (>100?)
O/p Imp(Zout): <1?
Power
Consumption: < 3W (charging battery and playback together)

I really don't know how to bring this up..hmmm... so i had to fork out $189 bucks to her folks to part with her, well that's what it is! if you fancy her sitting here in India, suspect its going to cost you more than that.

Ok, now its been around a week we've been seeing each other, its been quite exciting and i'm beginning to like the whole experience so far. but like any relationship, we need some more time to understand each other before i make up my mind! but i'll come back to share my experience soon.

See you around,

Congrats.
It seems you have already fallen in love with her.
Awaiting your listening impressions.

The build quality from outside is surely eye catching...:licklips:

Congrats ........!!!!

Very interesting purchase. Welcome to the ifi club :)

I have a iCAN. I don't give it full marks for build quality, because I hear some people say that the volume control is too stiff, whereas mine is quite loose, with a degree or two of play in the rotation ...so things are not 100% right/consistent there. No other complaints, though. The unit is heavily-enough built to feel sturdy and not be in danger of being dragged by cable weight. Looks are, indeed, good. I added a couple of O-rings to my volume knob for easy grip. ifi are very proud of their power supply wall wart, which they claim to be spectacularly low-noise. I guess the iDAC/iDSD are USB powered.

the iDSD is the new baby in the family. Does it render the hardly-adolescent iDAC redundant already? Rather than having any trade-off for portability, it seems to be an upgrade, packing much more into half the size.

USB3? According to the website it is USB2, despite the colour (never mind, I like blue :) ).

Last edited:
Congrats, thx911! She does indeed look very pretty and comely ;) :eek:hyeah:

Do put in your listening impressions once you get familiar with each other.

I really don't know how to bring this up..hmmm... so i had to fork out $189 bucks to her folks to part with her, well that's what it is! if you fancy her sitting here in India, suspect its going to cost you more than that.

The iDSD is indeed more here. It is Rs.14k plus in India.

Statutory warning: She is meant to be kept on "Desktop" and not hooked to the "Laptop". If you are caught sliding her into your pants, warranty will be void. :lol:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back