TS Parameters of Philips 8inch

Thanks Sunil.

But the damage is already done. My box is almost ready and without a tweeter it wasn't looking nice at all :eek: . I picked up an Alpine tweeter from a car audio shop.

It is a 30W RMS, 4Ohm, 88dB sensitivity unit. It comes with a built in 3.3uf cap. The freq response shows flat from 7K-20K.

Philips woofer is 8Ohm. I am thinking I will just connect them in parallel and see how it sounds. May be the extra load will compensate for lack of sensitivity of this tweeter?

I think biamping is the good solution, 30W RMS is a lot for a tweeter you can run them with higher level with seperate Volume control.
How the setup sounds? I always belive in listing tests than looking at curves.

I think biamping is the good solution, 30W RMS is a lot for a tweeter you can run them with higher level with seperate Volume control.
How the setup sounds? I always belive in listing tests than looking at curves.

I need to get the box pained and then install the speakers. Will do it this weekend.( DIY is taking time , and this is my first box ) . Will post an update once I am done.

The problem with this driver, it is suited only for closed box design(air tight with no leaks).

How did you arrive at this conclusion? I had good experience in using these drivers in open baffle. Also have a look at this thread by Jaudere - (http://www.hifivision.com/diy/10444-another-plan-open-baffles.html)

BTW, my bipole uses this driver in a ported box and it has come out pretty well.

Use narrow baffle size (9") and do listing test for best Y axis position on the baffle, You can do this by using 4-5 sectors for front baffle (do not use glue but screws to mount the same).

This is clever, by offsetting the driver like this you are in fact tuning the quarter wave resonance of the air column. It could work well along with some stuffing at proper places.

How did you arrive at this conclusion? I had good experience in using these drivers in open baffle. Also have a look at this thread by Jaudere - (http://www.hifivision.com/diy/10444-another-plan-open-baffles.html)
BTW, my bipole uses this driver in a ported box and it has come out pretty well.

You are combining two drivers, this will change the behavior of air column can't compare with single driver setup.
Open baffle!! again you will not be happy without a woofer, also you will not get that elivated midrange magic this driver can produce in a closed box.

This is clever, by offsetting the driver like this you are in fact tuning the quarter wave resonance of the air column. It could work well along with some stuffing at proper places.[/QUOTE]

Did I forgot to tell about stuffing, cotton lots of them, making a covered suspension at the back of driver and at the corners.

Sunil,

AFAIK this driver is a bit flexible about the type of enclosure to be used. It has an EBP(Efficiency Bandwidth Product) of 57 and generally, drivers with EBP between 50 to 80 can be effectively used in many types of enclosures (sealed, ported, OB, TL etc) if designed correctly.

This driver might be not very suitable for a sealed enclosure because

• Normally an EBP of less than 50 is preferred for sealed enclosure.
  • This driver has a low xmax in the range of 1mm - low xmax drivers are not preferred for sealed enclosures since they will reach xmax at Fs thereby introducing distortion.
  • It has a high Qts(1.1), so the effective Q(Qtc) of a sealed enclosure cannot go lower than that. An enclosure Qtc of 1 and above will have a pronounced midbass peak - I am presuming this is what you have indicated as the elevated midrange magic.
  • It has a high Fs. High Fs drivers are not recommended in sealed enclosures because they roll off immediately below Fs.

The enclosure volume you have indicated (350liters) is nearly 13 times the Vas - so it's more of a an infinite baffle(IB) than a sealed enclosure. I have never experimented with this type of enclosures and your experiences are interesting. Try to get some measurements if possible. Also some pictures of your setup would be nice.

Regards...

@biyer

Generally low Qts drivers are used for Aperiodic loading. But as a rule of thumb, a driver that work well in a ported enclosure could also be used for an aperiodic setup. Testing of this this driver alone in my ported bipole box was satisfactory. So it might work in the aperiodic enclosure as well.

@antony

Seems like this driver is real tough to work with in anything other than an open baffe.But OB speakers have a poor bass response and with the high fs of this driver things dont look promising.

Is there any enclosure design that is relatively less dependent on QTS?
TQWT??

I am just contemplating of blindly going in for some box of comfortable dimension and tuning it to around 70hz.

I think the driver in discussion is similar if not the same as the one in this sealed philips enclosure I have from the 70's.

DSOB6.jpg

The sound is quite enjoyable. And if the driver is 650 Rs. It's a damn good deal. No tweeter or anything needed. It puts out good bass down to around 80hz and the bumped midrange is soft and round, very enjoyable and easy on the ear yet resolving thanks to no crossovers interfering in between.

I think the driver in discussion is similar if not the same as the one in this sealed philips enclosure I have from the 70's.

DSOB6.jpg

The sound is quite enjoyable. And if the driver is 650 Rs. It's a damn good deal. No tweeter or anything needed. It puts out good bass down to around 80hz and the bumped midrange is soft and round, very enjoyable and easy on the ear yet resolving thanks to no crossovers interfering in between.

@ Corr
1) Are there 2 drivers/ speakers/Or another is passive/ OR I THINK SPEAKER AT THE LEFT IS DIFFERENT RIGHT????
2) anytime opened the back/ Is there any crossover/ - In another thread I have seen back opened - a clear picture will helpplease
3) If back and front mesh is opened please will you post photoes.
4) at last pls pls can measure and post cabinet dimensioons//

Interested as have a similar new pair of drivers , thanks to Dr Jaudere ( he took pains to gift it and send it !) got 1 cabinet - never tested it... but cabinet has space fot only 1 driver....

further inputs / photoes / help will be appreciated ... thanks!!

Last edited:
I got a pair of these drivers here, brand new.

I am thinking of making a hybrid one. Open baffle for mid and high, piped one for woofer.
Or may be another complete open baffle again. Afterall they sound the best and honest.

I have two Philips Hi Q drivers in original boxes. I bought them on OLX couple of years ago. I don't know whether they are original or not. I am looking to sell those.

Regards
Sachin

The india make philips driver is pretty old in design and till retains the same. I have couple of these made in late 80's. They came with soft and very light delicate paper cone. Belive me they don't need tweeter, I run them as single driver system with a huge 350liters tightly closed enclosures. Their mid range is beautiful and plenty of tight bass.
Recently I added a bulb shaped cone plug in place of dust cap, the sound become more clear and softer. I also experiment with bullet shape, but bulb shape sound much better.
I am planning to pair this with a sub-woofer for that added punch.

Good sound may not cost $$$s
Just to add my bit.If I am not mistaken,these speakers were used in the Hi-Q International range of Philips.They sound real sweet and pleasing.

@ T antony ..thanks.
Ihave Philips CTN 48002 , a pair gifted by DR Jaudere..
so are these drivers same?

Any very easy to make design ( I mean a known dimensions rectangular box..)?
BTW I bough small boxes of 8 inch speakers from lamigton road and planning to test it..

I too assembled a pair of speakers using this woofer model (PHILIPS CTN 48002). I had very low expectations because I heard from a few people that this is duplicate Philips speaker and not original.

However surprisingly, the sound is just terrific. The bass is so thick even using an ordinary amplifier (with 4440 IC). Listening to soundtracks is simply a theater-like experience depending on the song.

Highly recommended !

I too assembled a pair of speakers using this woofer model (PHILIPS CTN 48002). I had very low expectations because I heard from a few people that this is duplicate Philips speaker and not original.

However surprisingly, the sound is just terrific. The bass is so thick even using an ordinary amplifier (with 4440 IC). Listening to soundtracks is simply a theater-like experience depending on the song.

Highly recommended !
Great to hear of your experience, from where did you source them? Can you share the contact details?

Highly recommended !

Attachments

• IMG_20220517_182155775.jpg
    IMG_20220517_182155775.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 16
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back