TT beginner query

i would be so tempted to buy Technics SL1200/1210 from UK.. top bang for buck..

regarding phono, like stevie suggested, DIY phonostage would do good.

The SL-120 one I am looking at is on ebay.co.uk and is selling for 290 (26,000Rs approx). All the technics are between 200-300(17,000 - 28,000Rs). I am very aware that I can get a brand new AT/Rega/Pro-ject for the same price. Would you still recommend Technics over these?
I am also looking for slightly cheaper TTs like pioneer PL12D (60), Tecnics SL DD33 (100)... any suggestions?

Thanks,
N

Yes I would recommend Technics 1200/120/1210 over Project or Rega.Please don't even consider AT.
Pioneer PL 12 is good reliable manual belt drive TT.It doesn't fall into same category as SL-1210,but still very good at this price,better than entry level new Denon or AT IMHO.FM Hiten is using one.You can PM him for detail.I am also looking for one but postage to India is too high.I am mainly buying it for look.

Regards,
Sachin

To add to Sachin's list, I strongly recommend the SL3200. Its one of the typical no-frills Technics direct drives with auto-return. Its a faithful servant. Using it has actually kept me away from buying more expensive stuff.

You should opt for good condition used TT.Belt drive or DD doesn't matter.New budget Denons and Audio Technica TTs are not good and you will start hating TTs.You can get good quality vintage DD/BD TTs at very low price.Few good models to look for:
Direct Drive:
Technics SL D2/D3/D202/D303,(approx cost Rs 7000),JVC QL-5/QL7(Rs12000 approx)
Belt Drive:
Pioneer Pl10/Pl12/Pl15 etc (Rs 7000 approx)
All of the above table are easily available on ebay UK.You can even get audition in some cases.Built in phono/USB TTs are generally not good.My suggestion is to get a separate TT,buy an outboard Phono or build one,get a good cart and get a low cost Tripath amp or any Vintage amp.Everything can be had within Rs 25k or little more.

Regards,
Sachin

Hey guys,

DO you think an used technics 1210 mk2 in good condition is worth 285 + postage 85 = 370 (approx Rs 33,000 - thanks to the falling rupee). It looks in good nick and includes the technics 1210 mk2 , original technics box , kam headshell stanton cart & stylus with technics slip mat and a plastic 45 adapter

Any opinions please?

Regards,
N

Last edited:
Hi,
Where can I get good quality second han turntable in kolkata??

I am playing LP in Philips HiQ International player. I am having a strange problem with that. When I start playing LP it the speed is low... But after sme time of running the speed reaches to 31 rpm... Please help to to correct this...

Few days back I auditioned a Konig Turntable in Kolkata.. how good is that system.. is anyone using Konig Turntable.

regards

logo

Hey guys,

DO you think an used technics 1210 mk2 in good condition is worth 285 + postage 85 = 370 (approx Rs 33,000 - thanks to the falling rupee). It looks in good nick and includes the technics 1210 mk2 , original technics box , kam headshell stanton cart & stylus with technics slip mat and a plastic 45 adapter

Any opinions please?

Regards,
N

Technics SL1210 is a master piece. I would call it an investment of a lifetime but take care while buying online.

Hi,
Where can I get good quality second han turntable in kolkata??

I am playing LP in Philips HiQ International player. I am having a strange problem with that. When I start playing LP it the speed is low... But after sme time of running the speed reaches to 31 rpm... Please help to to correct this...

Few days back I auditioned a Konig Turntable in Kolkata.. how good is that system.. is anyone using Konig Turntable.

regards

logo

You can actually get this issue fixed. You don't need to replace your TT because of this. Honestly, your hi-q international TT is better than that Konig turntable :)

I already got it serviced from Wellington ... but still getting the speed issue... Is there any definite solution to this.

Regards
Logo

There can be many reasons which need to be investigated, the 2 main suspects would be electrolytic caps and the motor itself. To be honest here, the term "servicing" or "restoration" can have many interpretations. A simple job like cleaning, polishing, painting, oiling, etc can be termed as "servicing" or "restoration". However the actual root cause analysis, repair, re-build or even customization is what counts. In order to perform the later, one would need to have the skills and competance, don't think there are too many guys out there who can handle turntables.

I already got it serviced from Wellington ... but still getting the speed issue... Is there any definite solution to this.

Regards
Logo

I know a technician in Kasba who I find to be very knowledgeable and effective. Pls PM me for his contact details.

I have no affiliation with that technician. You can try Metro Music Hall in Esplanade for second hand turntables. But please ensure the quality before buying anything. My Technics and Rotel players came from their stable.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back