TT recommendation and Question regarding TT setup with existing sound system

bhattacharyyasom

Hello,

I am an avid music listener trying to start a vinyl listening habit and collection.
In Kolkata there is one story which has only Denon TTs and the only model s which are available are dp 29f and 300f which do not look like good buys to me.
Now i have almost decided on buying either the Project Primary or the rega planar 1 from hifimart . Is that a sound decision ?
Do these models have a replaceable cartridge ?

Now i have a music system at home . Its a Sony 2009 era model. Now today i use a EP to RCA converter cable to play the system from my computer.
Now my goal to begin with now is to buy a minimum listening set.
Please advise at what minimum cost can i play the TT and listen on the music system that i have.

P.S - I eventually want to have the entire TT + pre amp + amp + speakers setup but am a little stung on budget. So please advise the most cost effective way to begin with.

I have auditioned the AT LP-60,LP-120,Denon 300F,Crosley,TEAC TN-300 at Amoeba Music. I narrowed my choice down between the LP60 and LP120 based on SQ alone. But as I was budget constrained,I went for the LP60 and around 10 Vinyl.(Other option was LP120 but no vinyls).
LP60 and LP120 sound similar.Only differences are the extra features of the 120.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

LP60 -> Schiit Vali 2 Tube Amp -> F&D 2.1 Speakers or HiFiMan HE-400i Headphones.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Project Primary or the rega planar 1 from hifimart . Is that a sound decision ? Both are better than the Denon version. I have listened to both Pro-ject and RP. The best thing about TT is the flexibility about customization. These are good to start. However, the alternate would be start off with a good used TTs. It would let you experiment without burning too much into your pocket.

Do these models have a replaceable cartridge ? I think they have ortofon cartridges which can be changed. Google it.

Now i have a music system at home . Its a Sony 2009 era model. Now today i use a EP to RCA converter cable to play the system from my computer.
Now my goal to begin with now is to buy a minimum listening set.
Please advise at what minimum cost can i play the TT and listen on the music system that i have. - Used TT would cost about 10-17K and you can test it with stock parts before venturing further. A basic phono could cost around 5K if you go DIY route of building CNC phonostage. Excellent value for money

I use panasonic 2-in-1 player as amplifier (15W output) for Tannoy speakers for playing computer audio. It sounds very good inspite of being an non-audiophile amp. Your existing Sony would serve the job as amplifier (it might colour the sound but would not sound awful) but it would be good if you buy a good pair of passive speakers to enjoy the pleasure of the dynamic range of analog sound. If you can pick up used BS like wharfedale or BA 26 for about 12K, You would be set for good couple of years.

P.S - I eventually want to have the entire TT + pre amp + amp + speakers setup but am a little stung on budget. So please advise the most cost effective way to begin with

- So I have proposed about 32K for a basic TT driven set up. If you increase your budget by another 5-6K, you can get a dated amplifier which is likely to have phono input (around 10K) instead of Phono pre-amp (must keep your OLX alerts on).

You can sell off your Sony system in Olx and fund a part of the budget. 32-35K would definitely keep you happy until you have tasted another FM's poison.:licklips: Don't blame me if you end up buying double of what I proposed, buddy!!!!

Arun,

Thank you so much for taking the time and go into so much of detail. Appreciate it man !

I am not too knowledgeable about the technical stuff. So please bear with me.

So if i buy lets say a rega rp1 + say a Project Phonobox - E will that be sufficient to drive my existing music system.
How will the cabling work?
The analog out from the TT goes into the phono and then i connect a RCA to my music system ? Actually i am not well versed with different input types and cable types so asking this naive question.

Also can a headphone be attached to this setup for listening ?

The analog out from the TT goes into the phono and then i connect a RCA to my music system ?

Correct. TT-Phono-RCAs to your existing rig's AUX in.

You could also explore the used route. Get a nice vintage player and an integrated amplifier. The amplifier will have its own phonostage. Use your existing speakers.

The CNC is also a very good option.

Arun,

Thank you so much for taking the time and go into so much of detail. Appreciate it man !

So if i buy lets say a rega rp1 + say a Project Phonobox - E will that be sufficient to drive my existing music system.

You are right about the cabling part. But, I would suggest that you give CNC phonostage a good thought. It is an excellent phonostage. There are many FMs in Kolkata who are well-versed in Electronics. You can seek their help and complete it by yourself. Sachin who started the CNC thread would provide you with the parts necessary. You can probably start a wanted thread for TT and CNC phonostage with your budget specified.

Why I am insisting on CNC phonostage is that it is brilliant and is worth much more than what you spend on it. You will save 3-5K if you don't buy a new phonostage but build CNC. You can put this money on a good cartrigde or RCA interconnect (makes a world of difference).

Arun,

Thanks again man ! So much of quality information. I gave it a thought but i am thinking of sticking to some preassembled pre amp for now. I did visit the CNC site though and thought it was exciting. Just that maybe i will give that a shot later. For now thinking of getting the Rega Planar 1 + Cambridge Audio CP1 .
Also just to confirm i can take the RCA out from the preamp and put it into the RCA input of the existing music system right ?
I dont see a aux on my system.

Hello everybody,
A 2000$ cheap vintage turntable vastly available these days are the Philips 242.
It hav no rumble, wow, flutter.
Go ahead with this as its available at cheap rates ranging from 200 Rs to 2000 Rs, service it at further 500 Rs then buy a Shure m55e cartridge with a new needle & enjoy an audiophile system at pennies spent.

Look for a wooden body pre-1970 amplifier with built in phonostage like sansui 555,555a,777,777a or pioneer sa1000,900,700 etc
These pre-1970 vintage amps have decent phonostage wich can easily suffice your needs at cheap rates.
If you are intrested i can forward you videos of my cheap setup beating thousand dollar modern turntable+amplifier setup.
Dont invest in expensive cables or rca at this stage.
Dont buy modern turntables as a vintage turntable costs only 5% of modern one.
So be wise thinker.

If it has aux input, it should be fine. It would be better, if you state a budget. Used TTs are the best place to start.

Yeah did you take a look at the picture i attached ? Is that called the Aux input ? I thought its the port where a aux cable goes in like in a car ?

Nevermind i looked up in the internet. I though Aux is only the 3.5mm port. I did not know that there is RCA Aux as well. Cheers!

I am looking in a budget of not exceeding 35k.

Last edited:
I am looking in a budget of not exceeding 35k.

Quite close to what I thought! :) Check the For Sale section. I see some old ads from FM Shafic having TTs on sale (around 15-25K). Since he is in Mumbai, you can have somebody go check the condition of the items and decide. Shafic has great reputation in the forum (though I have not personally had any transactions with him). You might want to PM him. He can guide you better.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back