Tube Amplifier Suggestions

I have been trying to follow several of your posts now Jeff..it's always difficult to follow and understand as you write in a stream of consciousness style...flowing from one to another and to another so it's not easy to lockdown your final suggestion.

The one thing i understand clearly and see consistently coming from your posts is starting with a high efficiency speaker, preferably 100db efficient or more. Beyond that what you want to convey on tube amp is NEVER clear. It's like you knot yourself into a pretzel after saying high efficiency speakers!!
Often it's clear what you dont like...like 300b or mac275.. but what you intend to say on what's your recommendation on tube amp probably will remain with you cause you don't seem capable of plain simple speak on the topic.

Agreed. LOL, very good !!!! :) Hows this :

The amp, in 2023, is easy.

No more than 10 Watts wanted.

Single Ended amplifier.

Output tube can be either triode ( JJ 2A3 ) or beam power tube / pentode. ( cheap 6AQ5/ better 6005, KT-88, KT-150 ).

Two Stages only, total gain, when both tubes' mus are multiplied, equals about 400 Xs.

Directly Coupled only.

L.S.E.S. Power Supply only. Two 6 ohms or less chokes ( Hammond 159ZA will do ).

Dual 5U4GB rectification.

Softone RW-20 Output XFR.

Proper wiring throughout.

PM me if you need any help.

Of my many posts, last few years, start with this thread :

and realize, the thread's amp was for horn loaded Lowthers ( 104 dB ). Amp is NOT powerful enough with a single 6005, two or three 6005s in parallel are fine as a solution for most speakers that are efficient.

Jeff

Last edited:
Ok that's helpful and rather direct by your standards! What would be an commercial speaker and commercial tube amp that come closest to your philosophy for either?

(See what i am doing to you?)

Ok that's helpful and rather direct by your standards! What would be an commercial speaker and commercial tube amp that come closest to your philosophy for either?

(See what i am doing to you?)
An ALTEC two way speaker. There are many to choose from, dating back many years, home and industrial use.

With a 15 inch woofer and a 1 or maybe 1.4 inch compression tweeter, a simple two way speaker. The best ( drivers ) today would be a GPA ( Great Plains Audio ) version of an ALTEC.

Altec is also famous for the 604 series Duplex Point-Source speakers. And there is no doubt in my mind, GPA's costly version of same is today - THE best 604 to own, exceptionally neutral. A one time lifetime purchase.

Amp wise, only something made by my audio mentor, Dennis Fraker of Serious Stereo. It is costly, although he did mention last week having four prototype excellent amplifiers available at reduced costs.

Jeff

Hello friends,

I am looking for adding a Tube Amplifier to my setup. My speakers are Focal Sopra 3. I am a novice in tubes and this will be my first tube setup. I have few questions for the knowledgeable audiophiles..

My budget is about 2 to 3 lakh

1. Will Tubes be an upgrade to the already existing digital setup of Parasound JC2bp and JC5 ?
2. Should I go for Tube Preamp or Tube Poweramp or integrated? Which will be better presentation of tube like quality sound?
3. Sopra 3 are power hungry. Though they are rated about 91.5 db they go down to 3 ohms. I am afraid that single or low double digit power might be anemic for them? I have heard somewhere that not all watts are same ... Tubes even giving out lower watts sounds more "meat on bones"..? Is it so...
4. What's the experience of others of tubes with demanding speakers
5. How reliable are the Chinese brands that Thomas and other YouTube reviewer raves about..?

Thanks
See this https://www.stereophile.com/content/focal-sopra-no3-loudspeaker-measurements , the impedence dips to < 3 ohms , 2.75 as per the graph. These are not tube friendly speakers , may be hybrid or tube pre + SS power amp is what you can try . I would say that you have already made your choice by selecting this speaker. It is better to stick to SS amplification for this.

See this https://www.stereophile.com/content/focal-sopra-no3-loudspeaker-measurements , the impedence dips to < 3 ohms , 2.75 as per the graph. These are not tube friendly speakers , may be hybrid or tube pre + SS power amp is what you can try . I would say that you have already made your choice by selecting this speaker. It is better to stick to SS amplification for this.

I agree. Start a tube system by FIRST purchasing a decent 100 dB at 1 Watt two-way speaker you can live with long term, hopefully having a 15 inch woofer and a one inch compression driver. I suggest ALTEC or GPA.

Space constrained in India, go to a 12 inch woofer, two way, 97 dB. minimum.

If you have a decent budget, consider something like a GPA 212-8A as a great start. This allows you to use the best sounding tube amps - as power sources. Don't waste your money. Do it right, with the least compromise I say.

Instead of ordinary Consumer-use designs, consider Professional-use equipment. eg :

A Professional monitor : chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://greatplainsaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/212_8A.pdf

For an enclosure, a MLTL, and GM's suggestions are " sound ". https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/great-plains-212-8a-cabs.222173/

Cost, per duplex driver, is about $1,440.00 USD give or take. I do not know if that includes their 1.5K passive crossover.

Once you have a decent speaker, please review tube amp suggestions, noting all my posts in this thread. You will be set up well for decades of use, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back