Tube amplifier

I am also on the same path. I have narrowed down my choice to Baby Huey, which is well documented and illustrated in diyaudio. It may fit your bill too....

If you have efficient speakers, you can pick one of these -

Get*Set*Go from Diytube.com. To save money, go with 6AV5GA tubes,
and cheap Edcor (USA) OPTs, or check with JP Singh of Delta if he
can make you suitable OPTs. For the Power tranny, Antek 1T300 works
well, or you can get one made locally.

diytube.com :: Index
diytube.com :: View Forum - get*set*go

Another simple low power SET amp - Pete Millett's Jonokuchi -

Jonokuchi desktop amp
"Jonokuchi" - new desktop amp, or "Little red board"? - diyAudio

Peter Daniel is selling F5 boards again. Components are not a problem.

Hmm but I am doing a rethink. :)

I plan to change my approach to Hifi by acquiring tiny gear (DIY mostly) that can be wall mounted and free up floor space.

This whole Hifi thingie really complicated my house hunt and now I am paying 2K p.m rent more just to accommodate the gear.

Even 1.5ft from side and rear walls is not manageable in most Bangalore houses constructed with the sole aim of giving on rent. Either there are windows in the wrong places or corner doors mean speaker placement becomes impossible ...

Most of you will do house hunting with a "what will my wife think about the place" approach. I went around obsessed with a "what will my gear think about the place" approach and had a tougher time!! :mad:

--G

Last edited:

I plan to change my approach to Hifi by acquiring tiny gear (DIY mostly) that can be wall mounted and free up floor space.

This whole Hifi thingie really complicated my house hunt and now I am paying 2K p.m rent more just to accommodate the gear.

Even 1.5ft from side and rear walls is not manageable in most Bangalore houses constructed with the sole aim of giving on rent. Either there are windows in the wrong places or corner doors mean speaker placement becomes impossible ...

Most of you will do house hunting with a "what will my wife think about the place" approach. I went around obsessed with a "what will my gear think about the place" approach and had a tougher time!! :mad:

--G

All the best in your 'tiny' hifi gear approach. Personally I think it will be a challenge to get some serious performance out of tiny speakers/amps, unless of course you looking at B&O...

'Lyrita Audio' in New Delhi is a very good choice for VFM. Mr Viren is the capable man behind it. I visited his home and enjoyed a good listening few months back. Look for many threads on Lyrita here in this forum. Or just visit Lyrita Audio

building tube amp following design is not big deal , but o/p transformers are very costly ..
tweaking also needs some tube diy background

--G

Bingo! That my was main criteria while doing house hunting as well. Finally found a house with a very big hall (24x18) with very nice acoustics!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back