Tube buffer or preamp?

vineetrad

Does a tube buffer such as the Yaqin CD3 or the iFi iTube help in any significant way to reduce harshness if one has an overly bright setup? I have a desktop powered speaker setup (Aktimate Mini+ and Dragonfly DAC) for my office room. I find the speakers are great in general but they are sometimes a bit too resolving when using less than stellar mp3 and streaming material.

Someone suggested using a tube amp VST such as the Voxengo Tube Amp but I didn't like it.

I was thinking of getting a tub amp but I was told it would be double amping since the Aktimates are powered.

In short, I'm looking for a good way to soften the shrillness or edge and make the system more forgiving to lesser quality recordings without muddying up the sound completely.

Things I'm considering:
1. Get a more forgiving smoother DAC such as the meridian explorer
2. Adding the Yaqin or iFi iTube tube buffer
3. Can I add a tube preamp between the DAC and the powered speakers?

Open to India made local products as well.

Thanks

I've found using a tube pre with a ss power amp has worked well for me in the past, as has a ss pre and tube power amp. I haven't used your combo, so cant help unfortunately. There are some interesting DIY pre amp options on threads here that you may want to study-they are excellent value for money.

Thanks. I am going to order one on the Yaqin CD3 tube buffers and see if it makes any difference. Will report back if anything comes of it. Not too much of a DIYer. Do you know anyone in Bangalore who would assemble a DIY piece. That would be interesting

Thanks. I am going to order one on the Yaqin CD3 tube buffers and see if it makes any difference. Will report back if anything comes of it. Not too much of a DIYer. Do you know anyone in Bangalore who would assemble a DIY piece. That would be interesting

Hi Vineet,

I am curious how you found the Yaqin tube buffer. I use the same DAC (Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2) for my head phone setup. My headphone amp (Bravo Ocean) makes a big difference to the sound. This is a solid state amp that uses a tube in the path to achieve the same results that you are looking for. It can be used as a tube buffer but I have never tried. I could test it some time.

Regards,

Some 3-4 years back I too was curious to know if the Yaqin tube buffer would offer a cheap solution towards adding the tube warmth to my system.

A friend was using one with an Arcam amp and Linn speakers (Keilidhs if I remember well) and I must say it was doing a fair enough job as his system without the Yaqin sounded somewhat lean.

I tried it in my system but was disappointed as it added a veil which I just could not stand. This is just my experience, yours may be different.

I just tested adding a tube buffer to my bedroom system.

Bravo+Audio+Ocean.jpg

Connected the Bravo Ocean between the tape loop of NAD C352 and playing on the AE Aesprit 309 full range tower speakers. I matched the gain and tried some A-B comparisons. The difference was very subtle. It was not degrading the sound, but improving the voice just very a little bit. So little, that is was not worth adding it in the path. I could notice the change just because I had seen a similar but significantly more dramatic improvement on my head phones (Sennheiser HD 598).

I am curious if Yaqin turned out to be any more useful. It is possible that my system was already warm enough, it may have a better impact on a bit shrill sounding system.

Try repositioning yr speakers.... angled outwards.... so that they dont shoot sound directly to yr ears.

Cheap but effective.

Try repositioning yr speakers.... angled outwards.... so that they dont shoot sound directly to yr ears.

Cheap but effective.

You suggestion is valid, but who are you suggesting that to, Vineetrad, or me?
I just said :)
>>>my system was already warm enough, it may have a better impact on a bit shrill sounding system

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back