Tube Preamp suggestions to go with QUAD 306 power amp

jmascreen

As the title suggest I am looking for suggestions for tube preamp around a budget of 30K to go with my quad 306 which is in a biamped configuration.

Have you considered Lyrita DHT? It’s well-regarded and at reasonable price (if you can extend the budget to 40k, or get deals on preowned - they keep coming on the forum). It works well in tandem with my Audiolab. You can check with Virenji on compatibility with your vintage Quad. He could also customise where necessary and possible.

Thanks for the suggestion Sachin, will get in touch with him.
Is there a hum/hiss comes with lyrita DHT?

The DHT preamp is very good. However, do check the input impedance of your power amp for matching. The preamp has a volume control at the output, implying a high output impedance of around 5k ohms. This can be changed if you're buying a new one and plan to use with a low impedance power amp

Thanks for the suggestion Sachin, will get in touch with him.
Is there a hum/hiss comes with lyrita DHT?

I haven’t experienced any, been using for a year now. But do check with more users. Is that a known/documented issue with the DHTs?

i tried my lyrita dht pre with pulz ha 400, which otherwise is typically connected to the pulz pre...the level of details and snap was too good. also had added its tubeyness to the overall perfection which ss brings. pulz pre, i am sorry to say is crap in front of it, but i can live with it :)

I use Dilvpoetry Tube-01 6J1 Vacuum Tube Preamp with Power amp Quad 405 mk2

HiFi Rig: Dilvpoetry Preamp 6J1 + Marantz NA 6005 + ASI Liveline power cable + ASI Liveline Reference IC + Quad 405 MK2 + Castle Knight 5 (For Sale - Cambridge Audio Cxn & Piega Classic 3)

HiFi Rig: Dilvpoetry Preamp 6J1 + Marantz NA 6005 + ASI Liveline power cable + ASI Liveline Reference IC + Quad 405 MK2 + Castle Knight 5 (For Sale - Cambridge Audio Cxn & Piega Classic 3)
Who is Castle knight dealer in NCR

Oh thats the big brother of 306, these days I am using the ifi itube2 has pre. may be later I would like to try the AP etc

As the title suggest I am looking for suggestions for tube preamp around a budget of 30K to go with my quad 306 which is in a biamped configuration.
As suggested, do check out Lyrita DHT and AP Swara tube preamps.
They are in your budget range.

I own a Lyrita DHT. Lacks remote and volume is very sensitive; but sound signature is very good.
Rest of the chain please see signature.
I may have the opportunity to hear out AP Swara in my rig soon. When it happens, will post impressions.

Cheers,
Raghu

As suggested, do check out Lyrita DHT and AP Swara tube preamps.
They are in your budget range.

I own a Lyrita DHT. Lacks remote and volume is very sensitive; but sound signature is very good.
Rest of the chain please see signature.
I may have the opportunity to hear out AP Swara in my rig soon. When it happens, will post impressions.

Cheers,
Raghu
Waiting for your valuable impression.

Hi. Looking to go pre/power route as well. Hows the quad sound? There is a Quad Qsp Poweramp on the mart.

I have moved out from IFI itube2 and planning for a dedicated tube pre with phono, checked with lyrita and the lync preamp fits the requirements. Will this pre or the DHT will be better paired with Quad 306 / F5T?

Hi Jmascreen,

Soundwise the DHT will be miles ahead. Nothing quite matches a direct heated triode for sound. I still remember when I upgraded from the integrated amp to the power and DHT pre the increased detail and information that came through. You say dedicated tube pre with phono? I think Viren had done one recently for Sushant here. Although if you have the space and budget, separate pre and phono would be preferable.

Regards

Yes
Hi Jmascreen,

Soundwise the DHT will be miles ahead. Nothing quite matches a direct heated triode for sound. I still remember when I upgraded from the integrated amp to the power and DHT pre the increased detail and information that came through. You say dedicated tube pre with phono? I think Viren had done one recently for Sushant here. Although if you have the space and budget, separate pre and phono would be preferable.

Regards
Yes, tube pre with phono and they have a Lync to cater this, however just confused with DHT and PRE

I have auditioned quad 306 with vincent sa 31 preamp. Very good matching, vincent is a hybrid preamp. Better than pure tube preamp.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back