tube preamp

soundbuff

My integrated (Xindak A600E) has a power direct input so the temptation to try a pre just for the heck of it has been ever present.

The first preamp I tried was a Leben Rs100. This was a demo item which had been in the store for some time, so could have be purchased at a good price. However I was perplexed to find that the sound quality clearly went for a toss with this pre. The dynamics went flat, the music lost its edge. All I got was a little bit of sweetening or mellowing of the sound. Spent two weeks courtesy the dealer's generosity trying to get the best out of this set up. Returned it very disappointed, but also happy in the knowledge that I had a very good pre-amp section in my integrated.

I did not bother to try a pre again thinking that I would need to go very high in the budget if I had to get an improvement. Six months ago however I had picked up a Bottle head foreplay preamp at the forum for a modest outlay. It had taken a beating in transit so I did not use it until it was properly checked. Anyhow I had it serviced, spruced up and running properly thanks to a really decent service guy, with the intention of putting it up for sale again. Yesterday before putting it up for sale I put it into my system to see if all is well. TBH I was really not prepared for how good it sounded; yes it is not the most refined pre-amp, but the music had more body and presence than with the SS. High frequencies also took on a greater tactility and sheen! While I am not entirely surprised I did not think it would make such a difference. Have done some back and forth listening since yesterday and clearly there are advantages to having the tube in the chain. Without the tube, the sound is 'flawlessly clean', and yes, the tube 'messes up' the sound, but there is more life. Looks Like I will not be selling the Bottlehead until I have done some more listening. May be even get new tubes.

Suggestions for preamps to listen to are requested. Am hoping to be able to borrow a Xindak entry level hybrid tube preamp for starters. I would prefer tubes for sure. The max budget I could push would be 3 lakhs, but half that is what I can really manage.

Check their site out, they have a kit for just $499, assembled is $799. I have had one for the past 15 years and just love it. Assembly is very easy.

No one here in India. I brought it in cabin baggage.

You may want to consider the tube pre-amp from Lyrita Audio. Viren is a great gentleman, and I have heard his DHT pre, which is very good. It will cost only a fraction of your budget, and since Viren is a one man shop, you can customize the unit the way you want. He also lets you take a home audition before taking the decision to buy.

Not sure if his pre-amps work well with a SS power amplifier - his usual power amps are also tube based. Try giving him a call if possible (Home)

Also worth considering is a tube pre-amp from Acoustic Portrait, which is based in Bangalore.

Best Regards,
Anand.

I have known Viren for almost 20 years now, have owned his original push pull integrated and a phono in the past. Wonderful guy and decent entry level products, which brought a lot us into tubes, before the Chinese invasion. Will keep your suggestion in mind.
Thanks

I second GeorgeO's recommendation. I have listened to that Transcendant preamp. It is good. Your musical tastes are similar to mine. You must love dynamic/lively presentation. Otherwise you would not have horns. I understand that Bibin3210 is working on new tube preamp. Bibin is a member of this forum and he is in Kerala.

Regards,
Mohan

Soundbuff, there's a fantastic tube preamp for sale by an FM. Check https://www.hifiads.com/ads/lampizator-amber/
The price is well within your budget.
I have heard the unit. You can read the reviews before contacting the seller in Hyderabad.

I too have put up for sale a Jolida 1501BRC tube integrated amp. It has a tube pre and an SS Power section. The tube pre has 2 x 12AX7 tubes and can be independently connected to a Power amp. The stock tubes are Tung Sol, but I have a pair of Psvanes and a pair of Mullards that go with the amp. This may not be an ideal solution for you, but something to think about.

Edit:
I am so sorry, but the Lampizator is a tube DAC, not a preamp! Apologies for the incorrect information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestion, had not thought of these.
However I have just paid up for a tonearm and wont be buying anything in the near future. Time to obsess on the TT.:licklips:

I was looking for a Tube pre-amp kit, was going through threads on Transcendent Grounded Grid and found a clone kit on ebay.

GG Tube kit

Has anyone tried this or similar ? Any feedback would be great.

Last edited:
I've DIY'ed the 4S by Matt Renaud. Allows to swap between the 12A*7 family of tubes for various factors of gain. Very simple build.

Different types of the 12A's for different music - 12AU (allrounder) and 12AX is lovely for rock. Check it out.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/Universal-Tube-Preamplifier/

Hello sir, are you still using this preamp? Did you roll tubes? In this design i see they are using a singe triode for both left and right channel, wouldn't a version where there is a separate tube for each channel have improvements?

I was looking for a Tube pre-amp kit, was going through threads on Transcendent Grounded Grid and found a clone kit on ebay.

GG Tube kit

Has anyone tried this or similar ? Any feedback would be great.

Did you finally settle for any tube pre-amp?

Check out diyprojects.com. I haven't seen a 'separate' tube version. Maybe ask the designer - Matt Renaud.

Here's some of the tubes I've tried.

12au7 (B.E.L)
12au7 (Electronics for medecine)
12at7WA (M8162)
12ax7 (B.E.L)
CV4003
5965 (12xx7 with lower gain)

Settled on the CV4003. I like this sound for all kinds of music. Its a really simple design. Also have a 'cathode' bypass' with toggle switch, great for late night /early morning listening.

Go a step ahead and do the design with a cathode follower. Use a low plate-resistance tube like 12au7 on the CF and something that suits for the gain stage. Its on my things-to-do list.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
You may want to consider the tube pre-amp from Lyrita Audio. Viren is a great gentleman, and I have heard his DHT pre, which is very good. It will cost only a fraction of your budget, and since Viren is a one man shop, you can customize the unit the way you want. He also lets you take a home audition before taking the decision to buy.

Not sure if his pre-amps work well with a SS power amplifier - his usual power amps are also tube based. Try giving him a call if possible (Home)

Also worth considering is a tube pre-amp from Acoustic Portrait, which is based in Bangalore.

Best Regards,
Anand.

Hi,
Please share contact details for the preamps available in Bangalore.
Thanks

Back