turn your iPod into a a FLAC player

gobble

FYI Video: Free your iPod to play OGG and FLAC - Soa - Video-Free-your-iPod-to-play-OGG-and-FLAC - AppleSource

Not sure if this works for iPod Touch. For that here is a cool app to play media files from you home media servers iPhone UPnP client coming to SourceForge | iPodNN

This way i guess an 8GB iPod touch should not be a limiting factor and one could save money by not spending on a 32GB one?

Regards

Gobble,
With Rockbox Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware, you can get the ipods to play flac right?
But the wireless music streaming for iTouch is an added bonus.

Hi,

My ipod touch is jailbroken and it plays flac. But surprisingly flac aounsa worser than mp3s.I don't know how this is possible.Any thoughts?

cheers,
sri

Hi,

My ipod touch is jailbroken and it plays flac. But surprisingly flac aounsa worser than mp3s.I don't know how this is possible.Any thoughts?

cheers,
sri

Have you tried using Apple Lossless which doesn't require a jailbreak even. I play the on my phone and is certainly (If not lot) better than 320KBps.

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Convert FLAC to Play FLAC Files in iTunes/iPod/iPhone/iPad

you will find a step by step guide on how to play FLAC on iPod in lossless or lossy way.

This guide applies to:

Convert FLAC to Apple Lossless or AIFF to play lossless FLAC on iPod Touch, iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, iPod Classic, iPod Mini, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad, iPad2, iTunes, Quicktime, iMovie, FCP, FCE.
Convert FLAC to MP3 to play FLAC on iPhone/iPad/iTunes/iPod/Quicktime/iMovie/FCP/FCE/Windows Media Player in lossy way.
Convert FLAC to other audio formats including lossy AC3, AU, M4A, MP2, OGG, RA, and WMA.

Does plugging in the USB connector on ipod touch bypass the DAC?

In that case if there is a ipod connector to co-ax cable I could use that ...

--G0bble

Does plugging in the USB connector on ipod touch bypass the DAC?

In that case if there is a ipod connector to co-ax cable I could use that ...

--G0bble

No it does not but thats the only way to access the raw files on the device. The host machine like wadia etc. which houses the ipod should be capable of reading these files.

There seem to be only few devices which can get a pure digital out from the iPods and they are all quite expensive, be it Wadia i transport, fostex hp p1 etc.

There seem to be only few devices which can get a pure digital out from the iPods and they are all quite expensive, be it Wadia i transport, fostex hp p1 etc.

A number of cheaper alternatives have been around for sometime now.

Cambridge Audio id50, id100
istreamer
Onkyo ND-S1

All these read the files from the iPod and bypasses the analogue circuit.

Note its not the DAC in ip** that is bad, its the analogue out. Together with the crappy ear buds, the output goes from bad to worse.

The DAC on ipod is good.
An easy and cheap way to use it in raw format is not to use the stereo out pin but use the apple Av cable and only use only the audio RCA jacks to connect to the amp.

Though the original apple AV cable retails for 1400 rupees, on jailbroken ipods and iphones, you use any unbranded av cable which you can get for under 200 rupees. For unbranded cable to work on jailbroken ipods, you need to install the app "resupported" from a repository (search through cydia).

The other advantage of this cable is that it also offers for you to charge the ipod while it is playing.

ipod_av_cables.jpg

Those who want to go the digital way also get one with HDMI aout instead of AV which you can then connect to the AV receiver.

Digital-AV-Adapter-HDMI-line-cable-for-ipad-2-for-iphone-4-3-for-iPod-touch.jpg

@gobble,

Cheapest way (unless you want it portable) to get Digital out of iPod would be Pure i-20 for $99 (I think).

CLAS (High-Quality Audio Products | Cypher Labs) and Fostex HP-P1 are both 'portable' in a sense, though they are both are in the $500-1000 range and adding a CLAS + An external Amplifier or a HP-P1 by itself should make the whole setup less than 'portable'. If you just need digital out to feed it to your existing DAC, both these solutions are costly and unnecessary.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back