Turntable Advice

hey stevieboy

Sushil helped me set up the cart.. was super helpful. If anyone in Bombay wants to get this cart, I suggest going over to Nova Audio in Bandra. I think there are a few still left. Cost about 6k. Well worth the price. Sound is fabulous, and it hasn't even burned in fully yet.

On the topic of conversion.. i have actually been contemplating this for a while. My Project phono stage has a USB out, so i may digitize some of my records. I will try it out and let you guys know the results.. maybe post an MP3 sample.

On an unrelated note, today is John Lennon's death anniversary. R.I.P. Gonna pull out my copy of Plastic Ono Band and light a candle in remembrance.

"And we all shine on, like the moon and the stars and the sun.."

one last question reign - if one uses a usb audio interface with the analog to digital conversion happening in this outside box and digital signal being outputted through the usb, it bypasses the soundcard right? so either i have to get a good sound card and convert in it or get a good external converter and ignore current sound card?

thanks

one last question reign - if one uses a usb audio interface with the analog to digital conversion happening in this outside box and digital signal being outputted through the usb, it bypasses the soundcard right? so either i have to get a good sound card and convert in it or get a good external converter and ignore current sound card?

thanks

In that case, your usb interface is basically your sound card :).

ah much thanks reign!!!

finally understood something of the digital world :D i'm gonna go in for the behringer (link i've posted above) for starters cos my laptop is a borrowed one. seems a simple plug and record solution that will let me use the ouput from my phonostage. lets see how the transfers come out. later on i can explore a better converter option. the lynx L22 seems good, but $$$...

side note, last night i checked out the deep purple burn album to which i was comparing the lp recording to tape - it's a holland pressing. most of my cds are imports before they started making them in india. terrible quality then on...

thanks for the pointers!

Can anyone pls post comparison between shure 97xE with this red cart?

No idea about that ortofon cart as I haven't heard it. I have a shure mc97xe on my technics SL-B2 and it sounds outrageously good for the price I paid for it. Totally recommended if you have a low mass arm. However if you have one of the later high mass arms, it may not gel that well.

Gents - Not to Hijack the thread - but I've been in the TT market for a bit - Used to own the music hall mmf7. now I am looking for a TT in the Rs. 50k range. I plan to get a phono preamp in the $450 - $500 range.
Would be much obliged if some-one could provide suggestions of TT availability in this range.
Rest of my equipment is commensurate or higher than this level and this will be a secondary source in my system.
Cheers
Sid

hi sidvee,

i'd highly recommend the tube phonostage from viren. bout 20k range. as for tables, project does have a decent range. the rpm5 or thereabouts ought to be in your budget do check the range out on the project website.

regards

Hi Steven,
looks like a interesting product. Will look forward your experience with it. But being pure analogue man why you are after this product?

thanks ROC. How do I find out if it is a low mass arm? It is a technics sl 1700.
The manual says -- tonearm effective mass 22g (6.0g cartridge weight 1.75gstylus pressure)

regards

No idea about that ortofon cart as I haven't heard it. I have a shure mc97xe on my technics SL-B2 and it sounds outrageously good for the price I paid for it. Totally recommended if you have a low mass arm. However if you have one of the later high mass arms, it may not gel that well.

hi sidvee,

i'd highly recommend the tube phonostage from viren. bout 20k range. as for tables, project does have a decent range. the rpm5 or thereabouts ought to be in your budget do check the range out on the project website.

regards

Thanks Stevieboy - will check it out
cheers
Sid

thanks ROC. How do I find out if it is a low mass arm? It is a technics sl 1700.
The manual says -- tonearm effective mass 22g (6.0g cartridge weight 1.75gstylus pressure)

regards

The Shure M97 is OK with this tonearm and better still the Audio Technica 440MLa. Their compliances are good with the Technics Sl-1700 tonearm.

I know the Ortofon cartridges have way higher compliance figures (expecting a lighter tonearm) and not necessarily good for the technics tonearm....

Cheers.

Hi Steven,
looks like a interesting product. Will look forward your experience with it. But being pure analogue man why you are after this product?

hi mahiruha,

for two reasons, backup in case lps break and i dont find a copy and more importantly for listening to in office or on the move. i have some lps i dont think i'll find anymore like lady chatterly's lover narrated, marlene dietrich, fairy tale narrations and others..

also cant stand the cd versions of albums anymore :D had a chat with viren, maybe he'll look into a sort of analog to digital converter if time allows... will definitely post my impressions. the unit has shipped ought to be here in jan first week :)

regards

does any one have a TT in their office (except dealers/ distributers)? I will get once I get a cabin :)

regards

hi mahiruha,

for two reasons, backup in case lps break and i dont find a copy and more importantly for listening to in office or on the move. i have some lps i dont think i'll find anymore like lady chatterly's lover narrated, marlene dietrich, fairy tale narrations and others..

also cant stand the cd versions of albums anymore :D had a chat with viren, maybe he'll look into a sort of analog to digital converter if time allows... will definitely post my impressions. the unit has shipped ought to be here in jan first week :)

regards

NO I AM NOT IN MUSIC INDUSTRY, AND I AM NOT A DEALER/ DISTRIBUTER/ RESELLER or WHATEVER you can think of! I am a normal music/ gadget lover. Pls read my post again. I am asking for people who may have it when they are not in that profession.

How is it possible - that's what I want to learn ;-)

malvai - pls tell us more juicy details.
regards

Anant, are you in music industry? Otherwise, how your office will allow a TT in your cabin!

definitely should be possible if you have your own cabin! provided you keep the volume reasonable. now just imagine all your office co-workers' paw prints on your precious vinyl though i'm sure you wont let that happen! :p

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back