Turntable Advice

hi Anil,
I was reading on amazon about the AT 440MLa and one of the reviwers says it doesn't match well with technics.

Furthermore, it requires a very low mass tonearm to get the right resonance synergy due to the very high compliance and low downforce. All Technics and most Rega arms, for instance, are mid-mass.
unquote

The Shure M97 is OK with this tonearm and better still the Audio Technica 440MLa. Their compliances are good with the Technics Sl-1700 tonearm.

I know the Ortofon cartridges have way higher compliance figures (expecting a lighter tonearm) and not necessarily good for the technics tonearm....

Cheers.

we can all dream, can't we? Well, in that dream, I was listening to vinyl on a headphone, with a tube phono pre+ headphone amp :)

definitely should be possible if you have your own cabin! provided you keep the volume reasonable. now just imagine all your office co-workers' paw prints on your precious vinyl though i'm sure you wont let that happen! :p

NO I AM NOT IN MUSIC INDUSTRY, AND I AM NOT A DEALER/ DISTRIBUTER/ RESELLER or WHATEVER you can think of! I am a normal music/ gadget lover. Pls read my post again. I am asking for people who may have it when they are not in that profession.

How is it possible - that's what I want to learn ;-)

malvai - pls tell us more juicy details.
regards

It's very simple. I run my own advertising agency. And the culture that I have inculcated is that pretty much anything goes! Hence, my spare TT sits next to me!

And I try hiring only music lovers!!! In fact, I encourage my folks to use their free time between assignments or watching movies, cranking up the music, reading... This allows for a very creative energy that shows up in te work as well!!

Hi malvai
Is there any vacancy ? :D (I am graphic Designer, music lover, and vinyl lover)
just kidding. Yes music can be fun at work place. Sp. for creative people. I also have a TT at my office. Infact right now I am listening to "Loverboy" by Billy Ocean and working also ;)

Last edited:
hi Anil,
I was reading on amazon about the AT 440MLa and one of the reviwers says it doesn't match well with technics.

Furthermore, it requires a very low mass tonearm to get the right resonance synergy due to the very high compliance and low downforce. All Technics and most Rega arms, for instance, are mid-mass.
unquote

Anant,

I do not know about the Amazon reviews, but I know that AT440MLa has a compliance rating arounf 10 and the Shure at 13 or so.

Technics SL-1200/1700 is a mid-mass tonearm and takes a AT440MLa very well and better than a Shure M97. I have used both the combinations and both sound quite nice with AT440MLa's resolution being better due to it's Microline diamond tip.

At the end of the day, we need to enjoy our music and that's what matters. Different strokes for different folks.

I know you have a SL-1700. It is a nice turntable. Buy something on which you cannot go wrong. Shure M97 and AT440 are two of many choices which are fairly popular in the vinyl word. Ofcourse there is no limit to what you can spend on cartridges. They can go upto $10000. At the same time there is something called system balance. An SL-1700 can nicely take a $100-400 cartridge and not a $1000-5000 cartridge, due to it's other limitations, particularly the tonearm. PM me if you have specific questions.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the posting on turntables. In our family we have a Garrard 301 turntable which was purchased in 1968. Could you please advise me where I can get it serviced and get a new cartridge. I will be connecting it to Denon 710 amplifier which I recently purchased. I am based in Kolkata.

Manoj Sharan

Thanks for all the posting on turntables. In our family we have a Garrard 301 turntable which was purchased in 1968. Could you please advise me where I can get it serviced and get a new cartridge. I will be connecting it to Denon 710 amplifier which I recently purchased. I am based in Kolkata.

Manoj Sharan

FOR CARTRIDGE PL TRY WITH MR RAJIV NAYYAR FROM DELHI ON [email protected] HE IS IN NEW TT AND SPARES BUSINESS FOR LONG AND REGULARLY OFFERS NEW TT CARTRIDGES AND SPARES ON EBAY. HE IS HAVING 100 % POSITIVE FEEDBACK ON EBAY. I HAVE PURCHASED NEW CERAMIC CARTRIDGE FOR MY GARRARD 2025 TC FROM HIM 5-6 MONTHS BACK.

I need some help please.

I have a very old Philips GA242 TT which has not been used much of late. The belt needs to be replaced. Can anyone tell me how I can reach out for it?

With kind regards, Ramani.

Thanks Mr. Manoj. Any similar suggestion on the belt please. I would need the cartridge too. But that is after I set this problem OK. Regards, Ramani.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back