Turntable advise ?

I think buying basic T/T model of Rega, Project or Music Hall is better option even though u have to pay little extra than buying a 15 or 20 year old T/T which may give you regular problems and not that good sound.

The SL, AT, Numark and Gemini are brands/models that are IN production. Moreover, the build quality of the SL and AT are far, far better than the lower rung Regas. My guess is that the build quality of the lower rung Pro-ject and the MusicHall would not be as impressive as the SL/AT. I've known Technics decks being used in DJ/Pro-sound applications running for 10 years without any problems. I doubt the OP would need any more robustness. Moreover, atleast for the SL, the spares are more readily available, in case a service is needed.

Ofcourse, YMMV.

Rupee for Rupee a Technics SL-1200 will outperform every other turntable out there. This turntable is a true legend. The most important aspect to look for in a TT is perfect speed and there is nothing that comes close to the SL-1200 's accuracy. It is a direct drive in which the platter is not part of a motor but it is the motor. The TT rests on an isolated suspension platter and reduces feedback. It's got a decent tonearm (though the auto-return must, must and repeat must be disabled). Infact, this needs to be done to any turntable that features this. Auto return is a curse!

Coming back to the SL, its impulses are powered by a quartz crystal in a pulse locked loop (which can be disabled by a simple mod but not recommended) which ensures accurate speeds.

Even if the SL sells for 4 times the price that it is sold now, it will still offer very high value for money and will score high on price/performance ratio. With its current market price I really dont think it needs a second thought

Pick up a SL-1200 even if you get a good used unit. Only ensure it's never been used to DJ and is in good shape. It should give you years on vinyl playback pleasure

Hkravin,

Are you confident of the mechanics's competence level. Not many technicians know the finer aspects of TT. very few models sold in India were ever precision machinery TTs needed to be. The dragon is tooo complex for an odinary technician. Its got too many actuators, mechanical links and switches

I suggest you ask your technician to just disable the auto-centering mechanism if that is what is the problem. You really dont need it. It was more of one of the eccentric add ons Nak engineers used to put in some of their equipment. You should not be buying records that have their hole off centre in the first place (even before that the record company should reject those pressings). So providing an elaborate mechanism and complicating things to deal with a problem that should have never been there is a whimsical approach. Nak's cassette deck Dragon was a legend, but not their dragon TTs and dragon Cd players. When ever Nakamichi wanted to price something very very high they added a 'dragon' surname to it and sold it for whatever they wanted

the ebay auction explains that people still think that way.

Just disable the auto-centering and will be a decent TT. Also remove the auto - return as it induces unnecessary drag on the tone arm and increases the effective mass of the arm.

The Project is an excellent TT and is a lot lot better than the Sherwood. The Sherwood might be on par with the Denon or slightly better than Denon's entry level DP-29F

Dear Sir

Are there any dealers for Technics SL1200 turntables in India ? Is it advisable to buy through amazon? Can anyone brief me of any duty implications if applicable. I found a dealer in Singapore for Technics called HinHuat enterprises but has no options of Courier to India.Kindly brief me please.
Regards
srinivas

Dear Sir

Are there any dealers for Technics SL1200 turntables in India ? Is it advisable to buy through amazon? Can anyone brief me of any duty implications if applicable. I found a dealer in Singapore for Technics called HinHuat enterprises but has no options of Courier to India.Kindly brief me please.
Regards
srinivas

Though I'm a big proponent of the SL, I do not know a single dealer in India! However, I could ask my DJ'ing friends and let you know where you might get lucky here in India. You could get one shipped from SG or anywhere else, but I would'nt risk it. Let me see what I can do...

P.S: So, you from CBE, huh? :cool:

Try kabusa.com. Some time back, while considering a turntable, it was recommended very strongly by TNT-Audio review team to me but after my own studies, I decided to drop the idea of going for a turntable for the time being and also my personal liking is a belt-driven one.
At kabusa.com, you can configure the turntable with all sorts of upgrades and TNT-Audio people spoke greatly about them.
Good luck.

> murali

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back