Turntable hum

abhijitnath

I hooked up my ancient Philips TT to a Sansui integrated over the weekend, and was greeted by a loud hum, and no musical output. The phono input is working (I tested it with a line level input at low volumes) as is the TT (tested it with my guitar amp). Is it a grounding issue? Both the amp and TT have 2 pin plugs; however, the amp has a plug at the back with reads GND. Do I take a cable and plug it into the ground of the socket the amp is plugged into? Am I on the right track, or am I missing something?

People on the board who have a working knowledge of electrical engineering, please do help. I don't want to plug all this in, only to find that the amp is blown forever!

Thanks.

Hi, yes it's seems to be grounding issue. Check the wires behind the stylus (wires may be touching the tone arm) section or check your TT with a different amp, it could be loose connection. Connect a wire from TT's ground pin to amp's ground socket, that should work fine. If still the problem persists open up the TT, dry solder could be causing this problem.

Regards,
Anil

I hooked up my ancient Philips TT to a Sansui integrated over the weekend, and was greeted by a loud hum, and no musical output. The phono input is working (I tested it with a line level input at low volumes) as is the TT (tested it with my guitar amp). Is it a grounding issue? Both the amp and TT have 2 pin plugs; however, the amp has a plug at the back with reads GND. Do I take a cable and plug it into the ground of the socket the amp is plugged into? Am I on the right track, or am I missing something?

People on the board who have a working knowledge of electrical engineering, please do help. I don't want to plug all this in, only to find that the amp is blown forever!

Thanks.

Don't think so. The problem was sorted out by connecting a wire to teh amp's ground.
Are you facing a similar problem?

abhijitnath,

Being an ardent vinyl fan, I have encountered several scenarios like the one you mentioned. What you have done is correct.

The TT and amp needs to be grounded. Connecting a wire between body of amp and TT should solve this. Ensure that this wire touches the metal base of amp and some metal part of the TT. Best is screw the wire into one of the chassis screws

The amp had a helpfully labelled "GND" metal button on the back..thats where I connected a cable from the tonearm.

Hi, yes it's seems to be grounding issue. Check the wires behind the stylus (wires may be touching the tone arm) section or check your TT with a different amp, it could be loose connection. Connect a wire from TT's ground pin to amp's ground socket, that should work fine. If still the problem persists open up the TT, dry solder could be causing this problem.

Regards,
Anil

I have recently joined this forum, your solutions are very practical hence I am coming up with a problem. I have a Philips GA 242 TT 1982 the mechanical parts including the belts are fine, but the TT exhibits sudden speed fluctuations which are erratic. What could be the reason.
regards
bp bagchi

I have recently joined this forum, your solutions are very practical hence I am coming up with a problem. I have a Philips GA 242 TT 1982 the mechanical parts including the belts are fine, but the TT exhibits sudden speed fluctuations which are erratic. What could be the reason.
regards
bp bagchi

Check the motor and the platter bearings. You may need to service it or change the bearings.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back