Turntable repair in Mumbai

csricharan

I must tell you of my recent experience in getting turntables repaired. I got a name and a number of one Mr Homyar Masani, from Electronic Emporium, Lamington Road where I was buying some RCA plugs. A few days later, I contacted Mr. Masani and set up an appointment to meet him to get an SL2000 repaired (its speed was inconsistent). He lives in Parel and I in Nerul, Navi Mumbai. So after several days, I finally made the trip. I took the TT and my Marantz and Kenwood amps. They had some small problems. The Marantz had some dust issues which prevented loudness contact from happening and the Kenwood had a LED replacement job pending for a long time.

Anyway, I took them all and went. Now Mr Masani lives diagonally opposite MD College in Parel and having reached there, I called him on the phone and after a few minutes, I located his building and was surprised to find a slightly frail looking old man standing outside the building. He smiled and came towards us (my missus was helping me with the heavy equipment) and offered to carry the TT. I really wondered if he could but there was a certain firmness in his step which dusted off my fleeting anxiety. We went into his apartment, in a building that seemed to be occupied mostly by Parsis. (There I met his old Labrador, Zara, who would woof-woof once in a while during the time we were there. As if she was telling me that she still does her duty.) It is a small apartment and the living room had some other amps and TTs being worked on. Then I told him about the issues with my equipment. He said that he won't be able to give it in a hurry and might take about. I didn't really mind that much having already got that feeling of reassurance after I met him and looked around. He seemed very trustworthy and gentlemanly. (Later, I got to know that he works as a priest at the Fire Temple.) After a few pleasantries, we left. While I don't remember if it was a month or a little more, I was following up with him now and then and finally, he had done them all. I made another pilgrimage to pick them up. He connected them one by one and showed them all to me. They were all fine now. He charged me a sum which felt on the higher side. But after having experienced carelessness and lack of attention to detail at Lakozy and having seen how meticulous Mr Masani was about everything (even the screws), I didn't mind it as much. He also explained to me that the speed will have to be set for every record as the SL2000 doesn't have a Quartz lock. I then drove home, eager to play and check them out. It's been close to a year and they have been doing fine. The absence of a Quartz lock is a pain but livable with.

Now, this was my first experience with Mr Masani. The second one is a bit more recent. I have an Akai AP007 TT that my dad uses in Hyderabad. It had developed some problems. The auto return was not working, it was skipping, the start/cut control was inconsistent, there were speed variations as well. My dad (very naively and trustingly) gave it to Avis Electronics. What he didn't realise was that they were butchers in the guise of technicians. Unsurprisingly, they ruined it even further, disconnecting the auto return motor after having hacked at it, cracking its circular hatch and leaving the wires inside in a mess. I was very saddened as this was the first TT I bought with my own money early in my working life and it had performed so well for so many years. Anyway, I packed it (having learnt from Mr Kuruvilla Jacob how to do it) and got it with me to Bombay. Then I gave it to Mr Masani. This was a little more than 7 months ago. Then I followed up with him every now and then, never putting too much pressure, and he would give me assurances that he will do it soon. He tried to find a new auto return motor for a long time but was unsuccessful. The last resort was to either repair the motor or make the TT manual. An option which, for obvious reasons, was to be left to the absolute end. Then in the last one month, I started putting a little more pressure, as my parents' return from a trip abroad was nearing. Mr Masani was apologetic and told me that he was not keeping well and had other family matters to look into. But this time, he gave me a deadline himself and after a couple of small delays kept his promise. Yesterday, I went to his place to pick up the TT (also a JVC tape deck, which alas, he couldn't fix for health reasons). He didn't have an amp for me to hear it but he showed me every function. All of them seemed to be working just fine. Auto return was happening. Speed seemed to be fine. (I hope the stroboscope was right.) No skipping. All seemed fine. I completed the formalities, haggled with him a little bit (said hi and bye to Zara, the lab, and a frail kitten which now had become a full-grown queen and was carrying as well!) and took an Ola home. I still have to figure out the feet which are a combination of spring and rubber and which now are totally recessed into the four round holes that they should be sticking out of. A trip to Lamington Road to Aziz Rubberwala should help. But I can't wait to spin this old TT and right now everything else, work included, seems so uninteresting. Oh, by the way, I asked Mr Masani his age. It is 75.

A warm audiophile anecdote @csricharan ! I wonder how others have not spoken of him before, as a reliable tt person is rare to find. Wonder if he continues to provide his services commercially in view of his health.

I specifically asked him this, considering his recent references to his not-so-good health. He said that he will continue his repair of equipment like amps, TTs ... smaller units but not TVs and larger equipment. Also, the JVC tape deck he couldn't do because it involved a fair bit of going around. So yes, people can seek his services but a bit of delay might be expected but if his approach and skill are anything to go by then the delay is worth it. He is a rare gem.

Yes. It's quite difficult to find good guys to service turntables these days. Many technicians will not admit they don't know how to service. If you give it to such technicians, many of them will just make a mess of it. In my opinion, repairing turntables is to be done only by experienced technicians. But they are not easy to find them. But, I am sure if you search in major towns, there should be a few.

Yes. It's quite difficult to find good guys to service turntables these days. Many technicians will not admit they don't know how to service. If you give it to such technicians, many of them will just make a mess of it. In my opinion, repairing turntables is to be done only by experienced technicians. But they are not easy to find them. But, I am sure if you search in major towns, there should be a few.
Sir, can share Mr. Masani Contact no. i hv dual HS141 turntable built in amp. just want to sort out minor problem in phono out.

Mr. Homyar Masani (XXXXXXXXXX). He stays in Parel, diagonally opposite MD College. Please note that he is also a priest at a Parsi Fire Temple and in case he doesn't pick up, drop him a message and give him a bit of time to respond. Also, remember he is 75 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not share phone numbers and email addresses on the forum.
Remember that this is still very much accessible to anyone who may not be a forum member.

All private contacts are to be shared via pm only.

Please do not share phone numbers and email addresses on the forum.
Remember that this is still very much accessible to anyone who may not be a forum member.

All private contacts are to be shared via pm only.

I have a Record Store Day sale post that I wanted to share for the benefit of the others on our forum. This is from a store that I buy from once in a while. The post has an address and a phone number. So may I share it? If not, how?

Apologies! ... Folks, please message me for the number.
Please take permission from the gentleman before sharing his number even by PM.

He is elderly and won't appreciate too many calls I guess.

Callers can be unreasonable many times.

Your intentions might be good but the outcomes need not be.

Regards

have already done that. in fact if you scroll up, you will see that i mentioned it. in my second message on this thread.

These days locations and addresses should not be given out in the open.

Post no 7.

It's best to be discreet

Regards

I understand your concern. I was referring to Post No.3 where i clearly said that I specifically asked Mr Masani if he would continue his repair work and he said that he will continue to accept smaller equipment like amps and decks and TTs and not bigger equipment like TVs or things which require him to make house calls. Having said that, I will keep this in mind for the future. I wonder if I can edit my earlier posts where the location and address was mentioned.

I must tell you of my recent experience in getting turntables repaired. I got a name and a number of one Mr Homyar Masani, from Electronic Emporium, Lamington Road where I was buying some RCA plugs. A few days later, I contacted Mr. Masani and set up an appointment to meet him to get an SL2000 repaired (its speed was inconsistent). He lives in Parel and I in Nerul, Navi Mumbai. So after several days, I finally made the trip. I took the TT and my Marantz and Kenwood amps. They had some small problems. The Marantz had some dust issues which prevented loudness contact from happening and the Kenwood had a LED replacement job pending for a long time.

Anyway, I took them all and went. Now Mr Masani lives diagonally opposite MD College in Parel and having reached there, I called him on the phone and after a few minutes, I located his building and was surprised to find a slightly frail looking old man standing outside the building. He smiled and came towards us (my missus was helping me with the heavy equipment) and offered to carry the TT. I really wondered if he could but there was a certain firmness in his step which dusted off my fleeting anxiety. We went into his apartment, in a building that seemed to be occupied mostly by Parsis. (There I met his old Labrador, Zara, who would woof-woof once in a while during the time we were there. As if she was telling me that she still does her duty.) It is a small apartment and the living room had some other amps and TTs being worked on. Then I told him about the issues with my equipment. He said that he won't be able to give it in a hurry and might take about. I didn't really mind that much having already got that feeling of reassurance after I met him and looked around. He seemed very trustworthy and gentlemanly. (Later, I got to know that he works as a priest at the Fire Temple.) After a few pleasantries, we left. While I don't remember if it was a month or a little more, I was following up with him now and then and finally, he had done them all. I made another pilgrimage to pick them up. He connected them one by one and showed them all to me. They were all fine now. He charged me a sum which felt on the higher side. But after having experienced carelessness and lack of attention to detail at Lakozy and having seen how meticulous Mr Masani was about everything (even the screws), I didn't mind it as much. He also explained to me that the speed will have to be set for every record as the SL2000 doesn't have a Quartz lock. I then drove home, eager to play and check them out. It's been close to a year and they have been doing fine. The absence of a Quartz lock is a pain but livable with.

Now, this was my first experience with Mr Masani. The second one is a bit more recent. I have an Akai AP007 TT that my dad uses in Hyderabad. It had developed some problems. The auto return was not working, it was skipping, the start/cut control was inconsistent, there were speed variations as well. My dad (very naively and trustingly) gave it to Avis Electronics. What he didn't realise was that they were butchers in the guise of technicians. Unsurprisingly, they ruined it even further, disconnecting the auto return motor after having hacked at it, cracking its circular hatch and leaving the wires inside in a mess. I was very saddened as this was the first TT I bought with my own money early in my working life and it had performed so well for so many years. Anyway, I packed it (having learnt from Mr Kuruvilla Jacob how to do it) and got it with me to Bombay. Then I gave it to Mr Masani. This was a little more than 7 months ago. Then I followed up with him every now and then, never putting too much pressure, and he would give me assurances that he will do it soon. He tried to find a new auto return motor for a long time but was unsuccessful. The last resort was to either repair the motor or make the TT manual. An option which, for obvious reasons, was to be left to the absolute end. Then in the last one month, I started putting a little more pressure, as my parents' return from a trip abroad was nearing. Mr Masani was apologetic and told me that he was not keeping well and had other family matters to look into. But this time, he gave me a deadline himself and after a couple of small delays kept his promise. Yesterday, I went to his place to pick up the TT (also a JVC tape deck, which alas, he couldn't fix for health reasons). He didn't have an amp for me to hear it but he showed me every function. All of them seemed to be working just fine. Auto return was happening. Speed seemed to be fine. (I hope the stroboscope was right.) No skipping. All seemed fine. I completed the formalities, haggled with him a little bit (said hi and bye to Zara, the lab, and a frail kitten which now had become a full-grown queen and was carrying as well!) and took an Ola home. I still have to figure out the feet which are a combination of spring and rubber and which now are totally recessed into the four round holes that they should be sticking out of. A trip to Lamington Road to Aziz Rubberwala should help. But I can't wait to spin this old TT and right now everything else, work included, seems so uninteresting. Oh, by the way, I asked Mr Masani his age. It is 75.
Sir can you please share his contact details with me - I need to repair my TT as well - thank you

Sir can you please share his contact details with me - I need to repair my TT as well - thank you
Dear FM CSRICharan,

Appreciate your post on your experience with Mr Masani and positive note on him I have a couple of amps needign some attention. Much appreciate if you can share Mr Masani's contact no with me to check if he can do the repairs on my amps. Thanks much for your help.

Kishor

I understand your concern. I was referring to Post No.3 where i clearly said that I specifically asked Mr Masani if he would continue his repair work and he said that he will continue to accept smaller equipment like amps and decks and TTs and not bigger equipment like TVs or things which require him to make house calls. Having said that, I will keep this in mind for the future. I wonder if I can edit my earlier posts where the location and address was mentioned.
Hi @csricharan could you please DM me the number for Mr Masani as I need to get my Project turntable repaired - thank you

Mr. Homyar Masani (XXXXXXXXXX). He stays in Parel, diagonally opposite MD College. Please note that he is also a priest at a Parsi Fire Temple and in case he doesn't pick up, drop him a message and give him a bit of time to respond. Also, remember he is 75 :)
Hi Sir..
I was looking for reliable service tech for my technics SU610 amplifier. It's around 30+ years old and has issues with balance, tone control & loudness. It's been used intermittently for the last 15+ years now. It's still working, but it doesn't sound good. Can you help with Mr. Masani's contacts please? i'm on 90 29 08 02 03. Appreciate!

Hi all,

I have a Technics SL1200 TT which needs a bit if servicing. Just wanted to know if any of you can suggest a good technician in Mumbai who can service Technics TTs?

As Mr Masani has stopped repair work due to health reasons, does anyone know of any other reliable technician in Mumbai for Turntables?

Will highly appreciate your support on this subject.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back