Turntable repair service facility

Shafic,
If you could send your player to my mechanic, he can do a wonderful job with your player.. I sold mine years ago as I had some speed issue and I did not know this mechanic at that time

Shafic,
If you could send your player to my mechanic, he can do a wonderful job with your player.. I sold mine years ago as I had some speed issue and I did not know this mechanic at that time

Appreciate your offer sir, i will think over the possibilities and let you know.

That sounds interesting. Got anything to share from the meeting?
Though, I would love to see Mr. Kuruvila's collection some day...also want to show it to my wife who terms me as a spendthrift even with a modest set up and a relatively small collection of records!

Well..I got to experience a lot of things for the first time in my life. Sadly I din't think of taking any photos (anyway I had a useless phone that time). I got to hear Dire Straits's debut on Technics SL 1500+NAD+AR speakers setup first. Then I got to see his music room which had the bulk of his records and 3 big TT daddies (Garrard 301, Lenco L75 and the 3rd one I forgot :p). It was the first time I'd seen any tube amps! I had no idea what they were at that time to be honest. It was a memorable (listening and viewing) experience. Plus i guess i don't need to mention the personality of the man. A true gentleman, Mr. Kuruvila is. Next time if I get a chance to visit him again, I'll definitely carry a nice camera :D

Well..I got to experience a lot of things for the first time in my life. Sadly I din't think of taking any photos (anyway I had a useless phone that time). I got to hear Dire Straits's debut on Technics SL 1500+NAD+AR speakers setup first. Then I got to see his music room which had the bulk of his records and 3 big TT daddies (Garrard 301, Lenco L75 and the 3rd one I forgot :p). It was the first time I'd seen any tube amps! I had no idea what they were at that time to be honest. It was a memorable (listening and viewing) experience. Plus i guess i don't need to mention the personality of the man. A true gentleman, Mr. Kuruvila is. Next time if I get a chance to visit him again, I'll definitely carry a nice camera :D

Thanks Saket for sharing the experience. And Dire Straits...ah, one of my favourites. I am spinning the best of Dire straits & Mark Knopfler these days on my TT. It is a Belgium/ France pressing and coupled with the fine set of instruments that these guys play, the LP sounds fantastic. Certainly among the best in the lot that I have.

Last edited:
I am spinning the best of Dire straits & Mark Knopfler these days on my TT. It is a Belgium/ France pressing and coupled with the fine set of instruments that these guys play, the LP sounds fantastic. Certainly among the best in the lot that I have.

No problem :) Btw a Belgian press Dire straits?! That's rare man! Because I have done a decent amount of research on that album ever since getting into vinyl, and I don't think I've ever come across a Belgian pressing! French I'm aware of. I have the standard UK 1978 press, Vertigo label album.

p.s. I just love to collect the Vertigo labelled records. Especially Black Sabbath's Vertigo albums! That swirl IMO is really classy :D

Hi

I really appreciate the the info sharing about the TT Service person at kothayam by Mr kuruvilajacob, and his nature to encourage and help people with such a unique talent

iam amazed with the TT refurbish by Mr Raghunadh, i am sure it must be sounding better than before, because of the wooden body

shafic, i will suggest you to get your TT refurbished and you may consider to do powder coat ( colour ) after through thin salt paper smoothing , it will look amazing ... you may get help from Mr kuruvilajacob and Mr Raghunadh.

will look forward for your thread over refurbishing your TT and getting it back to original condition

All the best

Tanoj

IMO we need to encourage more and more DIY. Vinyl has a better chance of succeeding if users understand their TTs inside out. Most TTs are simple electro-mechanical or mechanical devices. One does not need to be an expert to fix these but must have an aptitude for handling tools and dismantling/assembling mechanical devices (ability to fix a blown fuse or tighten a chair's screw is not enough). Those who have worked on atleast 1 TT will gain enough experience and knowledge for the purpose.

Hi

I really appreciate the the info sharing about the TT Service person at kothayam by Mr kuruvilajacob, and his nature to encourage and help people with such a unique talent

iam amazed with the TT refurbish by Mr Raghunadh, i am sure it must be sounding better than before, because of the wooden body

shafic, i will suggest you to get your TT refurbished and you may consider to do powder coat ( colour ) after through thin salt paper smoothing , it will look amazing ... you may get help from Mr kuruvilajacob and Mr Raghunadh.

will look forward for your thread over refurbishing your TT and getting it back to original condition

All the best

Tanoj

Last edited:
IMO we need to encourage more and more DIY. Vinyl has a better chance of succeeding if users understand their TTs inside out. Most TTs are simple electro-mechanical or mechanical devices. One does not need to be an expert to fix these but must have an aptitude for handling tools and dismantling/assembling mechanical (ability to fix a blown fuse or tighten a chair's screw is not enough). Those who have worked on atleast 1 TT will gain enough experience and knowledge for the purpose.

100% agree with above.

As per Mr Kuruvilla's advice, first i am going to get it serviced fully. Mr Sachu's suggestion of a wooden plinth is also in my mind. I intend to give it a complete makeover step by step. Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Hey Shafic,
I am sure you will know this but there is Mr Sushil Anand in Mumbai, who is a down to earth person and very much a vinyl man.
The Norge guy, Mr Shyam Bajaj might also be able to help and another guy, Grattan Vaz who has been mentioned in the forum a few times is quite helpful.
Just my limited knowledge of Mumbai audio world.

I always believe that Turntables should be serviced only by guys who know what they are doing. I have seen too many good players ruined beyond repair by DIY enthusiasts. Even though I have seen hundreds of players being repaired, I have never attempted anything other than basic things. Most TTs have different mechanism especially for automatic players and once these are tampered, it may not be possible to restore to it's original working

Hey Shafic,
I am sure you will know this but there is Mr Sushil Anand in Mumbai, who is a down to earth person and very much a vinyl man.
The Norge guy, Mr Shyam Bajaj might also be able to help and another guy, Grattan Vaz who has been mentioned in the forum a few times is quite helpful.
Just my limited knowledge of Mumbai audio world.

Thanks for your input.I had consulted with Mr Sushil Anand, Mahim,Mumbai, when i started my search for my first TT. He suggested that i go for pro-ject Debut III.But i was keen on vintage TT only. The issue was not money, it was the quality of sound that I was searching for. My passion for vinyl was related to childhood memories of music heard from TTs of that time.So began a collection of vintage TTs.
I also agree with Mr Kuruvilla's view that only knowledgeable & experienced person should be entrusted with any TT job. Today i got this Garrard ZERO 100 TT in very good condition. Here are some pics.

Last edited:
Dear Kuruvila Sir,
I an new to join this forum but within a few days only I have become your fan. Your contribution to this forum are simply outstanding.
Coming back to this thread, I am planning to buy an AR XA TT on Ebay and get it to India. I am sure the TT would need some servicing/restoration. Would this guy do it?

Dear Navin,
I have two AR XA Turntables in my stable. In fact I have a AR the Turntable also They are excellent TTs. One word of caution when you buy them. The head shell is made of plastic and can have problems making contact with with the tone arm contact. Second, the belt has to be original. I have posted pics of one of the AR players i bought in packing some time back. My service guy can service them in case you need it

Last edited:
Thanks for your input.I had consulted with Mr Sushil Anand, Mahim,Mumbai, when i started my search for my first TT. He suggested that i go for pro-ject Debut III.But i was keen on vintage TT only. The issue was not money, it was the quality of sound that I was searching for. My passion for vinyl was related to childhood memories of music heard from TTs of that time.So began a collection of vintage TTs.
I also agree with Mr Kuruvilla's view that only knowledgeable & experienced person should be entrusted with any TT job. Today i got this Garrard ZERO 100 TT in very good condition. Here are some pics.

Great!
There is a Linn Sondek LP12 Turntable for sale on this forum (Mumbai). Expect you would have checked it out.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back