Turntable The next level

Over the weekend, a Loan London Decca Cartridge will be brought over & tried on this TT. The Decca is an extremely high output at 5mV so no phono pre is necessary.

Hi Audio,
can you please elaborate on this a bit. MY shure has 4.0mV out so can it be also played without a phono pre amp with the volume knob bit cranked up.Actually this is the first time I am hearing the high output cart can be played without a phono pre amp.
Well the effort you took to check the condition of the TT is really needed to ensure quality. Otherwise web purchase of used TT will always be a suspect. I am also curious to know that given your long association with different audio gears and growing up with LINN TT why did you get inclined towards digital format of music from the analogue world.
Thanks.

Hi!

Firstly, wishing all who read this a very happy new year!

Now, a phono stage is extremely important as it does more than simply amplify a signal. It also attempts to accurately reproduce the RIAA EQ through passive or active means.

Without the proper RIAA eq, you cannot simply plug in the turntable to a preamp (unless the preamp has a built in phono stage).

Hope this helps.

Also, the Linn is a legendary unit. However the VPI is so simple to use, servic and operate that you can easily do the sporatic maintenance yourself. Plus they appeal to me aesthetically as well. It's a combintation of all these things. Hope this helps! Take care now.

Last edited:
The little I've heard the LP12 and the VPIs, all I can say is that they sound completely different. LP12 with an SME arm tends towards the warm british kinda sound while the VPIs with the stock JMWs are much much more neutral.

What you'd want to get depends on what you like. Linns are not my cup of tea.

The little I've heard the LP12 and the VPIs, all I can say is that they sound completely different. LP12 with an SME arm tends towards the warm british kinda sound while the VPIs with the stock JMWs are much much more neutral.

What you'd want to get depends on what you like. Linns are not my cup of tea.

You have an EXTREMELY accurate point here. Very true. The VPI tables sound very much like the cartridge that is on there so you can really hear what is on the vinyl from the cartridge perspective.

I love VPI tables as they are no nonsense, solidly built and easy to maintain and use for the life of the table. Hec, they will outlast you with little to no maintenance :)

You are accurate in your reply. Its just that we wanted to try out the initial response of the Decca London so planned to go straight to feel the 5mV gain. However, a quality phono pre (be it a high output MM or low to very low MC) is mandatory for correct gain structure, harmonic integrity & RIAA de-emphasis. My other TT buddy who used the EAR 824 went a mile further by going in for "unique Eq facilities" used by most of the Vinyl labels which to my knowledge only FM Acoustics Phono Preamp allows you to dial in exactly.

Incidentally, this same friend uses the VPI TNT V with Firestone mounts, Rockport air-bearing Linear-tracking arm, extra flywheel, a pneumatic isolation table strictly reserved for electron microscopes, and quite an exotic selection of MC cartridges. (Personally, I am yet to know another person who's into such high-level TT in Calcutta).

Yes, VPI is very user and service/maintenance friendly.

That is quite true...there was the Decca EQ, Columbia EQ and finally the standardized RIAA eq. The FM Acoustics phono is quite excellent as we discussed before.

I've been looking for a way to have two arms on the VPI TNT-V. Since mine is the Hot Rod version, the JMW 12.5 arm is actually fixed to the plinth unlike the TNT-V which allow the use of an armboard. However I have a local dealer who believes he can mount two arms on the VPI TNT-V Hot Rod.

I've been really eyeing a Linear tracking arm for quite some time, but just haven't felt compelled enough to pick it up still. The Linear tracker I am looking at is the Kuzma Air Line

804kuzma.jpg

A friend of mine uses it and it is simply gorgeous! The precision is uncanny and it works flawlessly.

Stereophile: Kuzma Air Line tonearm

here's a pic of my friend's 2nd TT setup - (the same person who uses his TNT).
This one is a simon-yorke transcription TT.

Hi Audio_engr,

Is your friend the person who has the Klangfilm loudspeakers?

Would it be possible to post more pictures/details of his system?

Regards
Rajiv

@ mahiruha: both these setups are in Kolkata.

Hello Audio,
those are indeed very interesting set of equipmentts. Would love get an experience of them sometime. Btw where is your friend located in Calcutta?
Actually when you informed about us about those gears it reminds me one very common bengali saying " If properly researched tiger's milk can be sourced in Calcutta" :D I never really imagined that those gears could possibly be present in Calcutta.
Thanks.

Dead right! He has Klangfilm amongst few others...........

Hi,

Have you heard the Klangfilm speakers?Does he use Klangfilm amps too?

I am very interested in knowing what you think of these speakers.

Regards
Rajiv

@ mahiruha: both these setups are in Kolkata.

That is REALLY neat. He is powering the motor with a SLA battery as well. Your friend definitely knows how to get the best out of the system! Very very very impressive!

So which table does he like better? The Simon-Yorke (quite legendary as the Library of Congress also used it to "transcribe" many LP recordings to digital) or the VPI TNT V? Some comparisons would definitely be nice and helpful. Would love to hear your thoughts as well.

Jadis Eurythmie

Hi Audio_engr,

Thank you for your reply.Your friend has some amazing equipment.

The Jadis Eurythmie is quite a rare bird. Very distinctive looks too.

Regards
Rajiv

SOME TIME BACK I CAME ACCROSS A SITE elpj.com THEY MANUFACTURE
LASER TURNTABLE LT FOR ALL SPEED & SIZE RECORDS. IT OPERATES WITH LASER. NO DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE RECORD. COSTWISE IT IS 16 T USD.

Hi guys,
the VPi classic finally got installed today. There are some initial problems regarding matching with the phono pre amp which I hope will get sorted out in due course. I have noticed a strange problem when I play a track sometimes I am getting squeeking noise from the left speaker even with new vinyls. Any idea what is the probable cause to this problem. Is it something to do with aniskating since I have left the anitiskating thread untouched. Also I noticed that the dynavector 20X cartridge has very little overhang. In case if a record is a bit warped then the portion just above the cartridge might have a possibility to touch the record surface in that case can it produce a squeeking noise only to the left speaker. Bit puzzled with this. The turntable looks great. The strange thing is this is first electronic gadget I have come across which doesn't come with a power cord. I am just using a simple computer power cord. Also the way it is constructed it can't be covered unless the ICs and powercables are removed which I found a bit odd. Its a great toy and I am sure it gonna be lot of fun.
Thanks.

ah mahiruha,

i see you have taken a quantum leap in your vinyl journey! sorry i cant answer the squeaking sound. try the antiskating. there's something to do with channels but for the life of me i cant recollect it right now. azimuth antiskating...? the dynavector is a low output cart right? nows the time to figure out matching properly. did i give you likes to cart/phono matching? if not i can search and post it tomorrow... make sure you get that right and NOW's the time to invest in those telefunken smoothplate ecc 83 tubes. trust me it takes the phonostage to another level altogether. what tubes are you currently using in the phonoamp?

do post pics of the table! you can get an acrylic cover made with a sort of opening at the bottom edge where the cables need to come out.

regards

ah mahiruha,

i see you have taken a quantum leap in your vinyl journey! sorry i cant answer the squeaking sound. try the antiskating. there's something to do with channels but for the life of me i cant recollect it right now. azimuth antiskating...? the dynavector is a low output cart right? nows the time to figure out matching properly. did i give you likes to cart/phono matching? if not i can search and post it tomorrow... make sure you get that right and NOW's the time to invest in those telefunken smoothplate ecc 83 tubes. trust me it takes the phonostage to another level altogether. what tubes are you currently using in the phonoamp?

do post pics of the table! you can get an acrylic cover made with a sort of opening at the bottom edge where the cables need to come out.

regards

Hi Steven,
yes its a step forward but lot of work still left to be done to optimize its performence. The dynavector cart I am using is 1mv output moving coil. If you can provide me cart/phono matching guide that will be really helpful. I have already requested Viren to make a step up transformer which can optimize the performence of this cartridge. That is the first priority. This ecc83 tubes sound very interesting but the internal circuitry in my phono preamp needs to be changed to accomodate them. which is bit tough as of now because of logistic issues. You have mentioned somewhere that you have an inbuilt step up transformer to play low output moving coil cartridge. How did you figure out what needs to be done? Another option I am just thinking tp just get a CA azur 650P phono preamp and play it with lyrita integrated amp since it already has built in moving coil cartridge option.But I need to try it out first to see there is gain matching with Lyrita integrated amp. I have already ordered a custom built cover in Calcutta it seems I need to cut a groove behind it for the cables.:)
Thanks.

mahiruha,

hold the order immediately! you need to check which step up transformers viren uses. i forget the name right now. by a lucky chance the ones he imported for use happen to be the perfect match for the denon dl 103 i plan to use for the garrard when i do get around to setting it up. i had checked the cart's output etc there's a simple equation that shows you if the step up is a good match or not. its not a simple issue of just stepping up the voltage so dont even waste time on the cambridge phono. i think it was in the analogdept.com site... havent yet transferred my links to my mac so will check it out in office tomorrow for you. the area for you to solve is not so much the gain matching between phono and integrated so much as the matching between phono step up transformer winding specs and cart specs.

viren can also do a resistor install that you can change to experiment with cart loading. he's done it for me though i haven't used it yet.

get the wiring done buddy (you were mentioning some local guy who'd do it for you if i remember so your phono could accept ecc83s?) you'll wonder what you were settling for when you roll in the telefunkens ;)

regards

Hi guys,
the VPi classic finally got installed today. There are some initial problems regarding matching with the phono pre amp which I hope will get sorted out in due course. I have noticed a strange problem when I play a track sometimes I am getting squeeking noise from the left speaker even with new vinyls. Any idea what is the probable cause to this problem. Is it something to do with aniskating since I have left the anitiskating thread untouched. Also I noticed that the dynavector 20X cartridge has very little overhang. In case if a record is a bit warped then the portion just above the cartridge might have a possibility to touch the record surface in that case can it produce a squeeking noise only to the left speaker. Bit puzzled with this. The turntable looks great. The strange thing is this is first electronic gadget I have come across which doesn't come with a power cord. I am just using a simple computer power cord. Also the way it is constructed it can't be covered unless the ICs and powercables are removed which I found a bit odd. Its a great toy and I am sure it gonna be lot of fun.
Thanks.

Congrats Mahirua!

That is one helluva table you picked up!

See, I don't know why that anti skating device is even being used. From my experience, there is no need of it as the twist in the wires is more than sufficient.

I'll be VERY frank with you, forget about trouble shooting the device at all. Call VPI directly and ask for Mike. VPI is open from tuesday thru thursday and take calls between 10am and 4pm Eastern Standard Time. I would suggest you get a hold of Mike and tell him EXACTLY what the problems are that you are facing. He will tell you EXACTLY what you will need and he is perfect at it. After all he designed the turntable ;)

His advice has ALWAYS been spot on and he is DAMN good at it. He is there for all VPI owners and is one of the most knowledgeable people in the world when it comes to turntables. He has been designing all the VPI tables for the last 27 years, with input from Harry. But he is the whole and soul of VPI.

By the way....THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES! ;) You can't make posts like this and not give us some eye candy!! C'mon man!

Congrats Mahi! Quite an impressive table from what I've heard of it. :D

...hold the order immediately! you need to check which step up transformers viren uses. i forget the name right now. by a lucky chance the ones he imported for use happen to be the perfect match for the denon dl 103 i plan to use for the garrard when i do get around to setting it up. ...

I think he uses Cinemag trafos...

I wonder why the concept of using laser in place of the needle has not picked up. It is much better and neater option. If ELP could do it, why not others?

Cheers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back