TV Buying Guide - LED (LCD) or Plasma

I was also looking to upgrade my Samsung 40" LCD and studied various models in internet and local shops. As my concern was only better picture quality as I have other devices for sound (onkyo HD) and internet ( Google TV-Logitech Revue).
Finally I decided to go for Panny Plasma 50" at about 70K. As usual the salesmen discouraged plasma with XYZ reasons and I also got an impression that if some problem occurs it will not be rectified locally easily. Glaring of light is another thing though it is minimal in Panny.
But the main reason to give up the idea of plasma is, it uses 300+ Watts power (nearly 3times to LED of the same size) and my Onkyo HD requires more than 700 watts thus the total goes beyond 1000 watts. Hence I have given up the idea not because of the cost of power but due to the HEAT that generates in the surrounding area during summer in particular.
After comparing all the LED models in several stores I have come to a conclusion Sony 800 series is a good one in all respects. But is too expensive and I don't want to pay for the provisions which I never use and thought Panasonic LED is value for money ( as per my requirement) . Negotiated the prices with the dealers and finally fixed for Panasonic TH-L50B6D , a 2013 model has been installed yesterday.( Bought at 64.5K)

One thing, I too believed the same about power consumption earlier, but 300 watts is the power it consumes showing total white, all the time? And same with onkyo(I too had a model earlier which was 700w) it consumes 700w at full swing , and practically that was happening!(as my family used to just turn of the tv when they are done with the watching and the reciever many a times used to be on until the next morning, and the power bill was not abnormal

As stated, the plasma TV power consumption at 300W or 450W is not perfectly true. The TV will consume that much electricity in full white mode. Normal consuption is 40-50% of that. I have my own power bills to prove. I have posted them somewhere in the long ST50 thread (change your settings to 30 posts per page to reduce paging). Same is true of AVR. AVR will consume its full rated power when playing full blast at full volume. Otherwise, it is more than 30% of the rated power.

Plasma TV does generate some heat but not so much that the room becomes unbearable.

As stated, the plasma TV power consumption at 300W or 450W is not perfectly true. The TV will consume that much electricity in full white mode. Normal consuption is 40-50% of that. I have my own power bills to prove. I have posted them somewhere in the long ST50 thread (change your settings to 30 posts per page to reduce paging). Same is true of AVR. AVR will consume its full rated power when playing full blast at full volume. Otherwise, it is more than 30% of the rated power.

Plasma TV does generate some heat but not so much that the room becomes unbearable.

I m not a plasma user, but I started noticing plasma's after I got myself a Samsung LED, like most people. I felt, when plasma's produce realistic colours like everyone says, the screen FLICKERS, like your old computer monitor or CRT that runs at 50hz/60hz screen refresh rate(I know it's not the motion rate as you see in LED tv specs!) . I never had tried changing the settings of a plasma tv from a showroom to a higher refresh rate(I m not sure if its possible)? I always had a headache looking into the old CRT's with the flickering, and I got rid of it, since the day I changed to LED monitors and TV's .. Also, the same prob is still there when I watch a 3D movie on the tv where my glasses are active 3d ones.. Is this a normal phenomenon? Or just I have some problem with refresh rates?!!

Well, as for me, I am very sensitive to flicker and motion sickness in tvs. I get headaches very quickly if there is a screen flicker.
My st50 does not produce any flicker even for a 50hz material.

This thread has in a lucid way butressed the fact that Plasma TV offers superior picture quality (at present) over LCD/LED TV. However, the main worry remains whether this technology will be able to survive. Panasonic has reportedly given up on Plasma and shift to OLED.

So I am in dilemna whether to embrace this technology or not.

This thread has in a lucid way butressed the fact that Plasma TV offers superior picture quality (at present) over LCD/LED TV. However, the main worry remains whether this technology will be able to survive. Panasonic has reportedly given up on Plasma and shift to OLED.

So I am in dilemna whether to embrace this technology or not.
Not sure what technology survival has to do with the an instance of plasma that you are going to buy.

even if you buy a led, and if it develops some snag 2,3 years down the line, you will still end up with a out of production system. 2013 model will be a legacy device in 2015/16. If this is what you really meant.

Not sure what technology survival has to do with the an instance of plasma that you are going to buy.

even if you buy a led, and if it develops some snag 2,3 years down the line, you will still end up with a out of production system. 2013 model will be a legacy device in 2015/16. If this is what you really meant.

But support services for LED would still be there. Once Plasma goes out of production, I fear support would be weakened say after 3-4 years.

But support services for LED would still be there. Once Plasma goes out of production, I fear support would be weakened say after 3-4 years.
I am not so sure. The main issue that worries every one with flat panel TVs is the panel itself. WHile LED may still be in production, the panel of your TV may be obsolete and out of production. In that case, it does not matter what TV you own. The service people will simply raise their hands and tell you that you will have to buy a new TV. Even if the panel is available, the panel replacement will cost 70% of the cost of a new TV of the current genre/making. So one may as well decide to buy a new TV instead of spending high on an old model. Days of use and throw are slowly coming in into India too.

I considered all of the above when I purchased my own TV a year back. Even at time I knew that plasma is on the way out. But if you feel comfortable with LED TV, then by no means let my statements influence you otherwise. After all you are spending your own money and you must be comfortable with your spend.

I am not so sure. The main issue that worries every one with flat panel TVs is the panel itself. WHile LED may still be in production, the panel of your TV may be obsolete and out of production. In that case, it does not matter what TV you own. The service people will simply raise their hands and tell you that you will have to buy a new TV. Even if the panel is available, the panel replacement will cost 70% of the cost of a new TV of the current genre/making. So one may as well decide to buy a new TV instead of spending high on an old model. Days of use and throw are slowly coming in into India too.

I considered all of the above when I purchased my own TV a year back. Even at time I knew that plasma is on the way out. But if you feel comfortable with LED TV, then by no means let my statements influence you otherwise. After all you are spending your own money and you must be comfortable with your spend.

Absolutely true.
Instead of worrying about panel failures, one should put more thought in getting the best tv that money can buy.
Afterall, that is the best thing we can ever do.

Absolutely true.
Instead of worrying about panel failures, one should put more thought in getting the best tv that money can buy.
Afterall, that is the best thing we can ever do.
Just4kix
"Days of use and throw are slowly coming in into India too."

The dilemma facing many of us is that given the life of the panels as per feedback of the owners, whether LED/Plasma is economically worth it. It appears manufacturers ARE CONSIOUSLY BUILDING certain life into the products nowadays and there is less possibility of repairs after few years
given the non availability of spares of few year old models. while technological obslescence is a great threat and also desireable for improvment in product features, the reliabilty has taken a back seat. Increased warranty period is one small step manufacturers can take to restore public confidence albeit at addtional cost(nothing is free) as this would definitely be far less than the replacement of panel cost during warranty period.

I am still persisiting with my 13 year old CRT TV in the hope that the manufacturers address the reliability/warranty issue before the old TV conks out. Though I must say that i am very happy with it as it has built in sub woofers and at a touch of button i can activatge the woofers.
For those in a hurry one cannot help but buy panel TVS in the hope that their TV is blessed with good life.

Just4kix
"Days of use and throw are slowly coming in into India too."

The dilemma facing many of us is that given the life of the panels as per feedback of the owners, whether LED/Plasma is economically worth it. It appears manufacturers ARE CONSIOUSLY BUILDING certain life into the products nowadays and there is less possibility of repairs after few years
given the non availability of spares of few year old models. while technological obslescence is a great threat and also desireable for improvment in product features, the reliabilty has taken a back seat. Increased warranty period is one small step manufacturers can take to restore public confidence albeit at addtional cost(nothing is free) as this would definitely be far less than the replacement of panel cost during warranty period.

I am still persisiting with my 13 year old CRT TV in the hope that the manufacturers address the reliability/warranty issue before the old TV conks out. Though I must say that i am very happy with it as it has built in sub woofers and at a touch of button i can activatge the woofers.
For those in a hurry one cannot help but buy panel TVS in the hope that their TV is blessed with good life.

I don't disagree with what you have proposed. But to the manufacturers, it is simply not a good business sense to make long lasting products. Not just long lasting TVs - any long lasting (and expensive) product is a loss. Manufacturers want that consumers change their products often. This keeps them in the business (at our expense).

It is believed that flat panels' market is already saturated. Those who can afford have already taken the plunge. Those who can't, will never jump. If the TVs last 20 years like yester-years' CRTs then it is a case of ??? ???? ???? ???.

I don't disagree with what you have proposed. But to the manufacturers, it is simply not a good business sense to make long lasting products. Not just long lasting TVs - any long lasting (and expensive) product is a loss. Manufacturers want that consumers change their products often. This keeps them in the business (at our expense).

"It is believed that flat panels' market is already saturated. "

Donot underestimate the manufacturers and their marketing team. They are already working on sub Rs.10000/ sets to bring more of the so called under on to their fold. For others, the upgraditis bug like 3d,SMART tv, wi-fi enabled TVs, all sorts of Dimming et all would help them laugh all the way to banks.

"who can afford have already taken the plunge. Those who can't, will never jump. If the TVs last 20 years like yester-years' CRTs then it is a case of ??? ???? ???? ???.
"
Yse those days of long lasting products are gone but still there has to be some length of life of the product. Only consumer feedback/resistance can force the manufacturers.

In my view, tv buying now is not the same as washing machine buying.
We expect our washing machines to work for say, 20 years.
But can we live with a 420p panel when one has seen the juicy pictures of 1080p?
Tv watching is no more just for the programmes themselves.
It is for the visual joy one derives out of a beautiful picture.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back