TV or Projector - Budget 1L

k_vijay12

If i have a budget of 1L approx, should i look for a 75" TV or Projector ? Which models are recommended and why? Feedback pls

Mostly content watched is from OTT. This is not the primary TV, we have another 2 TVs at home of 49" and 55". Parents watch regular Tele / news / youtube songs. Kid watches youtube videos / cartoons. I think the existing TVs cater to my parents and kid. I am passively thinking of adding one in Media cum my work room of 13'3"x17"5". At the moment using 49" TV in this room, but hardly using. Room can be adjusted to ambient / dark. Have thick light obstructing curtains. I am looking for good picture quality. I have a separate proper Audio system in place. So Audio features in TV are not some thing i am seriously looking at.

Last edited:
remember exactly same thread a couple of weeks ago with many replies you can get some pointers from there too while some fms respond

If you can get a projector through a friend, go with BenqTK700STI(for rooms with high ambient light) or Benq W1800i (for light controlled rooms).

This is the thread mentioned above.

If you do go the projector way, there is an Epson TW7100 for sale in Chennai

If i have a budget of 1L approx, should i look for a 75" TV or Projector ? Which models are recommended and why? Feedback pls

Mostly content watched is from OTT. This is not the primary TV, we have another 2 TVs at home of 49" and 55". Parents watch regular Tele / news / youtube songs. Kid watches youtube videos / cartoons. I think the existing TVs cater to my parents and kid. I am passively thinking of adding one in Media cum my work room of 13'3"x17"5". At the moment using 49" TV in this room, but hardly using. Room can be adjusted to ambient / dark. Have thick light obstructing curtains. I am looking for good picture quality. I have a separate proper Audio system in place. So Audio features in TV are not some thing i am seriously looking at.
At 1 lakh you cannot get a big oled anyway. So you have LCD tvs and projectors. Both don’t have black level like oleds, tvs can go brighter, projector can go larger.

If I were you I would have chosen the projector as size makes you more involved into the movie. Also most projectors at this price range has decent picture quality.

I have 3 projectors for sale, all less than 1L. That said I recommend a TV. Not sure if you can get 75" for less than 1 lakh but if you can I recommend that.

I understand from the above thread that Epson TW9400 is a highly recommended device for projector needs. Assuming with Screen it wd cost around 2.3-2.5L. Plus i dont know the maintenance cost of lamps.

We dont have much time to enjoy these. Hence home ministry is reluctant to give consent for spending big money. Weekly usage would be 5-6 hrs tops or 2-3 movies over weekend. or one Season of OTT content over 1-2 weeks. Initial big screen experience - may be we would spend little more time probably

Before I pull the trigger, would prefer to do some research on recommended devices. Can you guys recommend me 3-4 projectors in each of the below categories ...
1. 4K up scaling budget projectors
2. 4k Native projectors / pixel shift
3. Laser / new tech projectors

I can explore the idea of importing from US if i can get a good deal as well. a friend coming in march first week. would prefer 230v though

I have a Epson 8300, ( US 5040) in your budget, if interested let me know. I still recommend the TV though. Better experience overall, the only thing you trade is image size. If image size is of paramount importance only then go with a projector.

I would recommend Epson TW7100 in your budget.
I staunchly believe in projector over large screen TVs.
Best to go out and get demos for yourself.
You are in Bangalore.
It should not be difficult to get demos of TV vs projector.
And LCD vs DLP vs LED in projectors.

There's a lot of advice on the net suggesting pixel shift over native 4k.
Do check it out.

Also check out dscussions on rainbow effect of DLP projectors.

I have a Epson 8300, ( US 5040) in your budget, if interested let me know. I still recommend the TV though. Better experience overall, the only thing you trade is image size. If image size is of paramount importance only then go with a projector.
Ya looking for big screen experience since its for very short usage. It wd have exclusivity factor / contentment

Ya looking for big screen experience since its for very short usage. It wd have exclusivity factor / contentment

In that case definitely projector. Make sure you can darken the room and have the required throw distance. Leave some budget for the screen. If the 9400 fits in budget go for it. I personally prefer DLP but you won't know until you demo. I have heard that projectors are currently in short supply so make sure to ask around if one dealer doesn't have it.

In that case definitely projector. Make sure you can darken the room and have the required throw distance. Leave some budget for the screen. If the 9400 fits in budget go for it. I personally prefer DLP but you won't know until you demo. I have heard that projectors are currently in short supply so make sure to ask around if one dealer doesn't have it.
Ya sure. Thanks for the tips. Right now not actively looking. But just a thought. If I can get something from US fr cheap , pls let me know as someone is traveling in 3 weeks. There r hardly any deals nor stock in US as well. 1080p projectors r in $700 range. But i haven't demoed any, so no idea.

Ya sure. Thanks for the tips. Right now not actively looking. But just a thought. If I can get something from US fr cheap , pls let me know as someone is traveling in 3 weeks. There r hardly any deals nor stock in US as well. 1080p projectors r in $700 range. But i haven't demoed any, so no idea.
Pls check if the projector from the US can work on 230V here or requires a stepdown unit.

I could see DLP models in stock now... you can go for factory renewed units available in amazon.com if you can't extend your budget..

Any feedback on

Xiaomi Mijia Laser projection ....selling for $1100​

Optoma UHD38 Projector .... selling for $1400​

Optoma UHD35 projector ... $1300​

Last edited:
Benq TK700STI is selling at mrp, no deals ,..... for how much do you recommend this ?
Good buy. Only point to note is about a relatively lower colour accuracy against a brighter projection. Trust me, you wouldn't notice the difference against W1800i. But then, make sure that you check the provision for projector in your room since it is a short throw model. One probable issue which you might encounter is playing through ARC. Else, everything is good with the projector.

Good buy. Only point to note is about a relatively lower colour accuracy against a brighter projection. Trust me, you wouldn't notice the difference against W1800i. But then, make sure that you check the provision for projector in your room since it is a short throw model. One probable issue which you might encounter is playing through ARC. Else, everything is good with the projector.
Thanks for the input. Right now I have projector stand installed at 13' away from projection wall. Can we adjust the short throw to regular? Also it doesn't have smart features/wifi. Priced at 1600$. Alternatively thinking of Benq 3550i. This is just $100 more. Specs wise it's same as benq 2700 available locally. It's 2000 lumen brightness. This is recommended for home cinema by Benq. Where as Benq tk700sti is recommended fr gaming , watching sports , ambient light conditions. Rest of specifications r same.

Any input on benq 3550i? How does this fare against Epson 7100?

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back