TV with inbuilt STB

Chaos

I just saw a couple of Youtube videos about some TVs which have an inbuilt STB. This would be great if you plan to wallmount your TV and don't want a ton of wires showing. Anyone here have any experience with these TVs? Is the experience the same as connecting it to an STB. From what i read, you get a CAM card which needs to be slotted in to the back of the TV and you're good to go. The TV remote functions as the STB remote. Are there any disadvantages to this? One i could think of is what happens in case of lightning strikes.

https://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-43LJ619V

https://www.samsung.com/in/tvs/n5370-smart-fhd-tv/UA49N5370AUXXL/

Last edited:
It works with handful of DTH operators only ,

Don't remember but the Samsung works with SUN , airtlel and one more

It works with handful of DTH operators only ,

Don't remember but the Samsung works with SUN , airtlel and one more

I have Airtel Internet TV and the card which comes with it looks like the one that slots in to the back of the TV.

Okay , then it should work
But what I feel is apart from the cleaner looks it does not provide any advantage

Moreover, the whole set will be of no use if say for example the inbuilt STB develops any issues

I have never used such TVs so not sure how reliable they are .

Conditional Access Modules used on set top boxes by different cable and DTH operators are from different vendors and use different encryption systems. A TV with in built STB will have very limited usability as it will work only with the CAM provided by few cable and DTH operators.

In my opinion it is better to buy a regular TV without STB built in. Simply get STB from any operator without imposing any prior restriction on oneself.

Conditional Access Modules used on set top boxes by different cable and DTH operators are from different vendors and use different encryption systems. A TV with in built STB will have very limited usability as it will work only with the CAM provided by few cable and DTH operators.

In my opinion it is better to buy a regular TV without STB built in. Simply get STB from any operator without imposing any prior restriction on oneself.

There won't be any restriction, will there? If we don't want to use the built in CAM, just use HDMI cable to connect STB from any company.

Yes you are right
Then why waste money for that inbuilt feature

Hide your STB behind TV and use IR extender so that your TV remote also works for STB. Tatasky 4K UHD setup box provides that.

Just want to reopen this thread

Even I'm looking for some TVs with built-in set-top box. Apart from neat looking with minimal cables, current tv operating systems has wonderful features integrated for tv programs along with OTT services such as Netflix. I watched a video in youtube for lg webos. Tv channels integrate well with netflix and favourite tv channels are clearly available in the menu along with netflix and prime. Its really nice to use such seamless tv/ott options. but not sure if its possible using separate set top box

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back