Two audio outputs into one input - Will a Y splitter work?

superczar

So I have a seemingly unsolvable problem (other than using a completely ghetto method)

I listen to most of my music in the kitchen vis a Chromecast Audio (CCA) connected to my TPA3116/BA A26 combo.
My source was android streaming to the CCA
However, I have recently also started using apple music on my other phone (iOS) but unfortunately cannot stream to the CCA from Apple music (obviously)

I do have a spare Airport express (APE) that I can use for Airplay from Apple Music but the setup is such that I cannot really manually switch between the CCA and the APE

So the questions is:
Given the relatively high impedance at the line level for the CCA and the APE, can I simply get away with combining the two into a single input for the Amp with a Y-splitter?
I cannot think of any other alternative that would let me seamlessly use both Android and iPhone as the source for this setup - And no, I cannot wire a switch to flip between the inputs - All of the audio paraphernalia except the speakers has to be tucked away from being visible failing which the WAF is non existent!

(Only one of the sources will be active at any one point in time)

Last edited:
Why not add Apple Music to Chromecast Audio?

If there are other streams or stations (apart from Apple Music) and these are not natively available in Chromecast/Google Play Store, then look at adding Raspberry Pi and MinimServer to add custom streams. I'd say moOde Audio will also be an option here. 99% though are available as apps in Google Play.

Why not add Apple Music to Chromecast Audio?

If there are other streams or stations (apart from Apple Music) and these are not natively available in Chromecast/Google Play Store, then look at adding Raspberry Pi and MinimServer to add custom streams. I'd say moOde Audio will also be an option here. 99% though are available as apps in Google Play.

Apple does not and will probably never support CCA (Airplay is a competing protocol after all)
The other option may have been to use a RPI as a Airplay and AudioCast receiver but google went the dark way and broke cast emulation (They use an encrypted handshake now so you can't setup an emulated cast receiver on an RPI or any other device)

Custom streams won't work for me because I really like the convenience of Apple Music (on-the-fly playlists/curated streams/ability to play almost any artist/album/song/genre )

The only options I have are
a) Try a Y-splitter and see if there is a drop in SQ
b) setup a relay based switcher and hook it to my HA server - although that does add another inconvenient extra step to start playback

Apple does not and will probably never support CCA (Airplay is a competing protocol after all)
The other option may have been to use a RPI as a Airplay and AudioCast receiver but google went the dark way and broke cast emulation (They use an encrypted handshake now so you can't setup an emulated cast receiver on an RPI or any other device)

Custom streams won't work for me because I really like the convenience of Apple Music (on-the-fly playlists/curated streams/ability to play almost any artist/album/song/genre )

b) setup a relay based switcher and hook it to my HA server - although that does add another inconvenient extra step to start playback

Okay, have never been in the Apple ecosystem myself. However, my wife is certainly locked into it, all the way from an iMac to an iPod, and many a time my only solution has been to buy Apple hardware, just so she could play music from her iPad via the lightning port with a compatible music dock + speaker system.

Guess that's what all the companies want, folks buying twice the hardware and twice the music simply because they are locked into a particular ecosystem or like a particular brand or operating system..

option 3 : build a passive mixer - cheap and easy choice!
Altoids Tin 1/8" Stereo Mixer

if you face issues with this - you may need to insert a ground loop isolator in between ( or cheaper alternative, isolate the inputs and outputs using some large dc blocking caps in series between L, R & GND)

Last edited:
option 3 : build a passive mixer - cheap and easy choice!
Altoids Tin 1/8" Stereo Mixer

if you face issues with this - you may need to insert a ground loop isolator in between ( or cheaper alternative, isolate the inputs and outputs using some large dc blocking caps in series between L, R & GND)

Thanks - SO basically use a 1K-10K resistor in serial with the L/R signal channels - I will probably just splice the stereo cables and add the resistors..
Cheers!

Okay, have never been in the Apple ecosystem myself. However, my wife is certainly locked into it, all the way from an iMac to an iPod, and many a time my only solution has been to buy Apple hardware, just so she could play music from her iPad via the lightning port with a compatible music dock + speaker system.

Guess that's what all the companies want, folks buying twice the hardware and twice the music simply because they are locked into a particular ecosystem or like a particular brand or operating system..

Yeah, unfortunately mine is a terribly hybrid ecosystem with OS X, Windows , Linux, iOS and android all thrown in the mix

How about a bluetooth receiver connected to the amp? There could be a slight drop in quality, but it's convenient. The bluetooth receiver from Logitech is quite good.

MaSh

How about a bluetooth receiver connected to the amp? There could be a slight drop in quality, but it's convenient. The bluetooth receiver from Logitech is quite good.

MaSh

The Resistor bridge as suggested by Greenhorn is working very well .. For now I have just spliced some old cables and added the resistors .. No ground loop or hum etc
Will create a shielded box over the weekend with 3 inputs as I am planning to add another source

As for BT, I have two of the Logitech BT receivers but I don't like BT because of its inherent flakiness and short range

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back