Converting my unused old smartphone with a 3.5 mm jack - a One Plus 5 into a DAP

rwnano

I have an old Android phone a One plus 5 with stock Oxygen OS. I can reformat it and load a custom ROM into it. Whats the best way to do so, so as to use it as a DAP please?
https://www.audioglorye.com/how-to-turn-your-old-smartphone-into-a-hi-fi-music-streamer/
This link talks about a BubbleUPnP player.
Any other better software or custom ROMs?
Also, can I use Apple Music to stream to this Android DAP?
Its a good idea. My old iphone se is now my dap with a 3.5mm stereo jack. 😂

Dont go for custom ROMs on old phones. Sometimes it goes so buggy it will crash frequently. To use as DAP you can try to stay in the stock version of Android.

If you are not bothered about the android sampling issue, You dont need a custom rom. I use spotify on an older device and use the connect feature from my handset.

More advanced setup would involve a network player app on your older device to play files hosted on the network. I use kodi & yatse for this.

Last edited:
Please
If you are not bothered about the android sampling issue, You dont need a custom rom. I use spotify on an older device and use the connect feature from my handset.

More advanced setup would involve a network player app on your older device to play files hosted on the network. I use kodi & yatse for this.
do elaborate on this setup...thank you

If you want maximum flexibility, you could run a LMS server instance somewhere in your network and use your OP5 as a player. There are squeezelite instances which run on android. Sound quality could be addressed by a usb otg dac, for example Fiio.
A simpler approach would be to install Spotify on the OP5 and simply use it as a Spotify endpoint.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back