Ultra HD - TataSky

jbgude

I got a message from Tata Sky offering their new UHD set top box, this would cost around 6 K. The person did mention that I would need a "UHD TV " but was confused about the channel details and mentioned "some sports channels" will be in UHD and other channels will be the normal HD.

BTW In this connection does any DTH provider already carry Animal Planet & TLC HD channels ?( My subscription is due for renewal in 2 weeks time)

I have a couple of questions for the Technically knowledgeable members here:

1. Will the UHD channels be viewable as a "HD"( 1080i/P) channel and if so, will the signals be improved on a "normal HD TV "?

2. Do you think a UHD STB will upscale/ improve picture quality on 1080 HD TVs (say 1080P instead of 1080i)?

Thanks.

I have a Plasma and LED TVs - both are "Full" HD - and I think the Plasma already has an inbuilt up-scaling capability.

BTW In this connection does any DTH provider already carry Animal Planet & TLC HD channels ?( My subscription is due for renewal in 2 weeks time)

Dish TV provides Animal Planet and TLC in HD according to their website.

BTW, today Videocon has also launched 4K STB at similar price.

I spoke with both D2H & TATASKY customer care....
(1) Both STB for up gradation costs Rs.5990.
(2) Both are HDMI ver 2.0
(3) Both provide only selected sports content offered by the broadcaster (eg:Tatasky is providing 7 ICC World Cup matches in 4K, D2H excutive has no clue about the minimum promised content)
(4) D2H again offering RF remote (sucha put off) where as tatasky is offering same HD cumbersome IR universal remote
(5) D2H was saying HD content will be in 1080p, no info about this from Tatasky
(6) Both offering same resolution in 4K... 3840 x 2160 pixels
(7)D2H seem to be offering DEEP COLOR (10 bit instead of 8bit as in HD)...or rather tatasky... I think iam messed up here. Perhaps both are offering as rest of the specs seem similar. Deep color is being promoted by Sony as trilluminous display and some others as quantum dot technology(?)
(8)In D2H, we got to subscribe to one among the two highest packages, Tatasky seem to be allowing to choose/continue package of our choice
(9)Tatasky has 2 HDMI ports one for HD TVs and another is a ver 2.0 port specifically for 4K (isn't HDMI ver 2.0 downward compatible!!)....ofcourse more ports=more connectivity.
I booked with tatasky yesterday as it offers IR remote and flexibility in minimal rental commitment(??).They got cash on delivery.Will be installed in 10-14 days :mad: due to lack of stock (my local distributor said that tatasky brought only 200boxes into market for the whole country!!).

Last edited:
(5) D2H was saying HD content will be in 1080p, no info about this from Tatasky -->

Does this mean, D2H regular channels going to be 1080P. They are currently 1080i.

(4) D2H again offering RF remote (sucha put off) where as tatasky is offering same HD cumbersome IR universal remote.......................

I actually do not understand why the RF remote is not good. Actually the RF enabled remotes can work through walls & floors and need not have a clear sign of sight to the device and they will work.

I use to admire the Bose remotes because of this

All I would say in response to 4K channel offerings on D2H platforms is, please verify how much bandwidth is available with each of these providers vis-a-vis the bandwidth actually required for broadcasting a true 4K channel.

I may add that a company such as BBC has been criticized for offering dozens of HD channels (not 4K ones) without actually having sufficient bandwidth for the same.

I actually do not understand why the RF remote is not good. Actually the RF enabled remotes can work through walls & floors and need not have a clear sign of sight to the device and they will work.

I use to admire the Bose remotes because of this

One reason is, I will not be able to use my Logitech Harmony remote and I am very dependent on it.

One reason is, I will not be able to use my Logitech Harmony remote and I am very dependent on it.

Very true.RF components doesn't gel with rest of IR Eco system.So our beloved universal remote won't serve purpose when we are using another remote ( of RF) along with it! Working across walls is convinient for music but for 4K STB which we buy for sheer picture quality...how does RF advantage across wall helps dillihifi :rolleyes:??!!

(5) D2H was saying HD content will be in 1080p, no info about this from Tatasky -->

Does this mean, D2H regular channels going to be 1080P. They are currently 1080i.

I too really don't have a clue...does that mean their 4K STB would upscale??!!! Only if some has subscribed to D2H should clarify after experiencing. I am pretty sure customer care personnel will have no clue what it is.

Received and got it installed :eek:hyeah: on 20th afternoon. Took old Stb, remote & hdmi cable+ 6K and replaced them with new kit. Got to check how good it is once I am back home. Will update then.

^ Finally !!! thank you God here we have someone who actually has the UHD connection now. Entire forum will be thankful to you for sharing your experience and putting all speculation to rest.

Most important question of all is the most obvious one - will the quality of existing HD channels improve anyway by any tiny bit with the UHD box. So please do enlighten us first chance you get. thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Received and got it installed :eek:hyeah: on 20th afternoon. Took old Stb, remote & hdmi cable+ 6K and replaced them with new kit. Got to check how good it is once I am back home. Will update then.[/QUOTE

Looking forward to a in depth review of the same BOSS, I too have just bought a new 55" Videocon 3D smart 4K, and would like to go for this STB. Thanks in advance :eek:hyeah:

Received and got it installed :eek:hyeah: on 20th afternoon. Took old Stb, remote & hdmi cable+ 6K and replaced them with new kit. Got to check how good it is once I am back home. Will update then.

Congrats mate. Do let us know how the 4K cricket streaming is...

Dissapointed with PQ in 4K.Not even a bit of difference from HD transmission. Friends....please keep Rs.6K bucks (meant for upgrading) in your pockets and let 4K boxes be stocked and locked in ware houses. Not that i wasted money cos 4K box is a must for a 4K TV but any highly anticipated technology is supposed to be path breaking (HD transmission looked stunning wn launched for Wimbledon) .Atleast not looking so on a 65inch screen!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 115
Box is surely massively in looks ( Sony DVD player for comparision)....not in performance :sad:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 117
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back