UMIK-1 measurement mic

And maybe hire it out at $5 a time afterwards?

Seriously. It's the kind of resource in which both the utility and the cost could be shared.

Just an idea.

^^ I was just about to suggest this! Everybody would benefit!

I remember that in another forum, one guy bought an Audyssey IMPRINT kit for the Alpine 9887, and passed it around for a small rental. It is a one-time use kit, so everybody won.

You guys give me a feeling that I have gone overboard. Yes it did pinch. There is customs also on top of it. :sad:
But I feel this is the minimum one has to spend if they wish to become serious in understanding room interactions and implement what are supposedly among the best tweaks possible in a system.

Few days back, I moved my sub from left to the right corner of room while I changed my rack after which it started behaving quite differently. Not exactly boomy but something was wrong. Instead of fighting against the invisible waves, I thought I must do some sensible analysis. Ofcourse shifting the sub back to its original place was a quick and easy fix but I was not very happy with that either. The room was still messing up with the quality of the LF. By now, the waterfall plots already started etching on my mind. :p May not be as critically as professionals do, but I hope to listen to the walls, tweak the system and do some acoustics intelligently with the help of mic. I hope to get some insights from experienced FMs around here if I get lost in the waves.

For now, no plans to use the sub for stereo but if I can apply some DSP control, why not integrate it. Primarily it was for my HT and if not for the 4 step parametric equalization in my preprocessor for LFE, I would have dropped the plan. There are 11 bands of PEQ for the other 5/7 channels so I guess it would be fun!

And ofcourse circulating among members is a good idea and I am all for it. I am told that the learning curve is very steep when it comes to REW and then I also need time to get some minimum essential acoustics in place! I will certainly intimate, when the mic is ready to do rounds.

Last edited:
the minimum one has to spend if they wish to become serious

I suppose it depends on for what value of serious. But, for any value, I'm sure a calibrated mic is needed.

Have you tried the put the SW in the listening position and the crawl around until you find the spot where it sounds best trick? I've heard even studio guys recommend this.

Have you tried the put the SW in the listening position and the crawl around until you find the spot where it sounds best trick? I've heard even studio guys recommend this.

The sub itself is so huge so I do not have any option of placement except for front left or front right corner. No sides. No centre. No rear. :sad: So PEQ and traps seem to be the only solution.

Santy,

This could easily be one of the best sub $100 investment you have done for your setup. congratulations. Money well spent.

Even I have got my umik. My bro in law got it from US. I also got the radio shack SPL meter. I want to run REW EQ Wizard. Unfortunately I have to wait for the full measurement as I have to wait quite longer for my emotiva amp's replacement power supply board :(

Primarily it was for my HT and if not for the 4 step parametric equalization in my preprocessor for LFE, I would have dropped the plan. There are 11 bands of PEQ for the other 5/7 channels so I guess it would be fun!
Speaking of your preprocessor, the latest version of Room EQ Wizard (released yesterday for free download) can generate PEQ filters specifically for the UMC-200.

Take a look:

V5.10 Beta release - ASIO Support - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Just in time.
Do post the graphs once you measure the response. Those graphs are fun to look at. ;)

Thanks! Yes, the timing is co-incidental and I am glad with it.

Most of my upgrades or purchases are otherwise timed by me.
For eg. when the projector arrived, the DIY screen was ready.
When I replaced the FS with monitors, the stands were in place.
Before the prepro arrived, the cabling was done.
A day before I got the sub, the IC was delivered by Borderlinx.
At the time my DAC was upgraded, balanced ICs were on the way and so on..
Now when the mic is on the way, slabs of rockwool are ready. ;)

It is fun to time such things and prepare for them.
Ofcourse it doesn't work always.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back