Unable to decide on 5.1/7.1's

Skiree

Hello All,

First of all a sincere congratulations to many learned members here , this is one of most informative AV forums catering to Indian Markets.

I am newbie in serious av equipment. I have currently a sony Rv990D hi-fi from which I want to graduate to some really serious equipment.

I dont want to through the nitty gritty's of having to build a customer HT setup, am being simple here , the statement is just because I dont know too much about these. My usage is around 60-70% movies and rest music. After going thru the huge amount of information I have 0'ed on 3 combinations

1. Yamaha 195
2. Onkyo 6200
3. Yamaha 663 custom setup with associated speakers.

From above choices , from your all's experience point of view I guess you can find that I am confused as to what I really want. Well I know that 195 is a 5.1 , rest 2 are 7.1's. My problem is compounded by a room of size 12/12 , which is slightly irregular due to a pillar. Also the price ranges differ , the latest price I got for these are 22.5k for 195, 49k for 6200 and 44k for 663 receiver alone and another 30k for speaker . Not sure on which parameters I should make my choices. And yes my heart is saying future proof your spend - well assuming 7.1 will last some time .

Request you gurus to aid my selection.

-skiree

Last edited:
Welcome to HFV and all the best in your audio journey.

Unless you have access to "well mastered" content with 7.1 tracks, 7.1 speakers (relative to 5.1) will not make much of a difference. 7.1 AVRs use some in-built logic (software) to distribute the 5.1 tracks to 7.1 speakers in a 7.1 setup. I think we are a few years away from cheap and widely available BDs with good 7.1 content. Given your room dimensions and also assuming that it is filled with furniture and has windows etc., 7.1 may not make much of a difference.

If you can afford it, go with 663, start with 2.0/2.1/3.0/3.1 speakers as your budget permits and complete the rest of the 5.1 set up gradually.

Price of 663 is ~32k, check with some of the dealers in Delhi who may be able to ship it to you.

BTW, me not a guru...

5.1 is enough for >80% mov as very few Disc come with true 7.1 effect.
Surr effects r present in mov for short span,say for 1 or 2 scenes.
Background sound may be present most of the time.

For this ,one really dont need 7.1, for larger room it may be useful.....

Welcome to HFV and all the best in your audio journey.

Unless you have access to "well mastered" content with 7.1 tracks, 7.1 speakers (relative to 5.1) will not make much of a difference. 7.1 AVRs use some in-built logic (software) to distribute the 5.1 tracks to 7.1 speakers in a 7.1 setup. I think we are a few years away from cheap and widely available BDs with good 7.1 content. Given your room dimensions and also assuming that it is filled with furniture and has windows etc., 7.1 may not make much of a difference.

If you can afford it, go with 663, start with 2.0/2.1/3.0/3.1 speakers as your budget permits and complete the rest of the 5.1 set up gradually.

Price of 663 is ~32k, check with some of the dealers in Delhi who may be able to ship it to you.

BTW, me not a guru...

Well depends whats ur budget?

If u can not spend 50K, then go for 6200, it has all bells and whistles and u can upgrade speaker in future budget permiting. Well, if u can spend upto 100K overtime go for 663 for now. Add 2.0/2.1/5.1 speakers as per ur present budget and gradulaay upgrade to 2.1/5.1/7.1 setup.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back