Unboxed: Logitech Harmony 300i & my initial verdict

s_anuj

Original Source: Logitech Harmony 300i: budget universal remote control unboxed

Large screen TVs are becoming increasingly affordable and so are home theater setups. Add to that a set-top-box for TV viewing and suddenly you have a problem you never thought of before Juggling remotes. Most people I know have anywhere between 2-5 remotes. I have four. This is where a universal remote comes into play. Stow away all your remotes as youll need only one. But do you want to pay the price? Read-on...

For those who have been debating the need of a universal remote, heres a before-after scenario of what can be termed as the simplest activity we carry out while juggling remotes: Watching TV.

Before: pick up TV remote -> Switch on -> change to HDMI -> now pick up TataSky remote ->switch on -> click on favorites & start surfing

After: Pick up the harmony 300 & press watch TV

Does make sense doesn't it? Well there is one problem. The Price. The harmony lineup from Logitech (considered amongst the best remotes) are quite expensive. They start at ~Rs2400 and go up all the way to 25,000. (Source).

Ive been using the Logitech Harmony 525 for sometime now and have been really happy with the performance. So when I spotted the Logitech 300i for about 60% off the regular price on eBay, I decided to pick it up for my dad.

Logitech Harmony 300i unboxed:
A well packed box includes the remote, a pair of Duracell batteries (AA size), a usb cable to connect to the PC when programming the remote and a user guide.

Logitech+Harmony+300i+box.JPG

Logitech+Harmony+300i+box_back.JPG

Logitech+Harmony+300i+unboxed.JPG

Quick verdict:

Build Quality
4+shu.png

Set-up Ease
5+shu.png

Features
3+shu.png

Price
5+shu.png

For the Price (currently on ebay) it is a fantastic buy. It was extremely easy to setup and feels well built when held.

However, as it doesn't support programming macros (like it's more expensive cousins) it cannot run detailed instructions. So it gets 3/5 when it comes to features.

650 at 4k is a better deal. You get the screen and "soft buttons" on the screen for operations that does not have a dedicated key (Eg: Change aspect ratio, select aux/cd/tape etc)

I cannot thank you enough for your post. I was on a hunt for a cheap universal remote and then I came across your post. I now have the Harmony 300 for 1000 :yahoo:
Thank you so much.

Din't know it was 1000. A very good deal fro that. Anyone looking for a bedroom remote grab it.

Last edited:
650 at 4k is a better deal. You get the screen and "soft buttons" on the screen for operations that does not have a dedicated key (Eg: Change aspect ratio, select aux/cd/tape etc)

If i were buying for myself, I'd definitely pick that up. But my dad is not too comfortable with programming it. Offer too many options & i'll stay on the shelf forever :)

I cannot thank you enough for your post. I was on a hunt for a cheap universal remote and then I came across your post. I now have the Harmony 300 for 1000 :yahoo:
Thank you so much.

:cheers: Rs 950 on ebay... is the best price I've seen.

Din't know it was 1000. A very good deal fro that. Anyone looking for a bedroom remote grab it.

I didn't believe it either. I thought I'd get a fake at the price. :lol: worked out well in the end.

Last edited:
the screen on my 525 (IIRC the model number) died. I am back to using individual remotes now. So having a screen is more of a disadvantage :(

the screen on my 525 (IIRC the model number) died. I am back to using individual remotes now. So having a screen is more of a disadvantage :(

My 525 went bad within the 2 year warrenty.
Logitech replaced it with a new harmony 700 with 1 1/2 yrs warrenty (6 months are gone using the old 525 remote).
No shipping charges, import or difference charged and was couriered from norway I think. Reached the 4th day.
Just contact the customer care.

I got it through a friend from canada and I thought warranty did not apply in India, and sending it back to canada was not what I thought to be a good option.

I got it through a friend from canada and I thought warranty did not apply in India, and sending it back to canada was not what I thought to be a good option.

Then you should have been prepared for the worst which has happened. :)
I dont get stuff outside india.

My 525 went bad within the 2 year warrenty.
Logitech replaced it with a new harmony 700 with 1 1/2 yrs warrenty (6 months are gone using the old 525 remote).
No shipping charges, import or difference charged and was couriered from norway I think. Reached the 4th day.
Just contact the customer care.

:cool: Is it wrong for me to now hope my 525 dies within the warranty period :indifferent14:

Back