Unic UC40 Ultra Cheap Projector

Dear friends,
I am now a proud owner of a UNIC UC 40+ projector.:yahoo:
Brightness is OK in a dark room and I am able to almost fill the well priced Luzon Dzire 7X5 hi gain screen which I also got from amazon.in for the crazy cool price of Rs. 1960/=. When watching in a brighter room, I move the projector closer to the screen.
This projector is not designed for permanent installation either horizontally or up side down. It is good for weekend fun projects with the whole family helping out in unpacking and connecting and enjoying and then helping pack up the projector and rolling up the screen for the next time it is to be used.
It can be a lot of fun.. more so than the actual watching experience which is not that bad anyway.
It is a great first time PJ. and my experiences are so far great.
But, one has to play with the settings to finally achieve a well balanced image. One needs to have an idea about setting the ideal color balances.
Then, LED bulbs mean that minor shakes won't damage it.
The 55 watt lamp generates a lot of heat (thank God for the built-in fan) and one can only imagine how hot halogen lit projectors get.
Overall I give this PJ a 8.5 out of ten. Hope it lasts as long as is claimed..(Lamp life of more than 20,000 hours.)
Enjoying the big picture,
Subcenter2009
Congrats man, me enjoying a lot with that. Sity cable hd setup box and this projector that's it........ we can enjoy cricket on big screen.
For Rs5k.... we are enjoying a lot and led bulb won't lost . If lost we can get it for Rs1000 to Rs1500. Enjoy man as along as it works ...me bought 4months back for Rs5348 after coupon at ebay.

MASH,
Thanks a lot.
Reading your post immediately made my mind clear while I was pondering to have a projector for those simple logics.

It is a real VFM product and good as a trial Projector. I can use it as my monitor for not so critical use. For the price, it is a steal.

Thanks in tons.

MASH,
Thanks a lot.
Reading your post immediately made my mind clear while I was pondering to have a projector for those simple logics.

It is a real VFM product and good as a trial Projector. I can use it as my monitor for not so critical use. For the price, it is a steal.

Thanks in tons.

You are welcome. Thank this amazing forum which provides us the opportunity to share our passion, helping others on the way.

Which model did you pick? Do post pictures of your setup and the image.

MaSh

I just got the uc50 projector which is very similar and it's just amazing. The quality is very near hd as long as the source video is 1080p and the room is dark. I have a 60in full HD plasma in my living room purchase this year and I prefer plasmas for there image quality and colors and when I'm watching my uc50 at nearly 3 times the size I don't feel I'm missing anything that my television would show me. While it's true it is not as rich and brilliant as a true HD flatscreen with such a large clear image with still very impressive and vibrant color any loss of HD quality I would get from my television isn't even thought of. I just ordered the uc40 for its keystone function cause the uc50 doesn't have that and can be a pain to find just the right angle. I'll have it on the 6th and I'm sure it'll be just as great however I have been reading reviews saying it looks blurry toward the outter parts but I know on my uc50 it's totally sharp n clear edge to edge so I donno why there would be focus problems on a larger model.

I just got the uc50 projector which is very similar and it's just amazing. The quality is very near hd as long as the source video is 1080p and the room is dark. I have a 60in full HD plasma in my living room purchase this year and I prefer plasmas for there image quality and colors and when I'm watching my uc50 at nearly 3 times the size I don't feel I'm missing anything that my television would show me. While it's true it is not as rich and brilliant as a true HD flatscreen with such a large clear image with still very impressive and vibrant color any loss of HD quality I would get from my television isn't even thought of. I just ordered the uc40 for its keystone function cause the uc50 doesn't have that and can be a pain to find just the right angle. I'll have it on the 6th and I'm sure it'll be just as great however I have been reading reviews saying it looks blurry toward the outter parts but I know on my uc50 it's totally sharp n clear edge to edge so I donno why there would be focus problems on a larger model.

Congratulations on getting the UC50. Would you be keeping both UC40 and UC50? Yes the Keystone feature is quite useful when used to it minimum. Too much of it leads to blurring at either the top or bottom.

Do post pictures of your Image.

MaSh

Yeah I'll keep both of them I'm going to be getting the Optima x141 or whatever it's called that displays 1080p butt Amazon was out of stock so I just ordered these in the meantime but I think I'll keep the uc40 in my bedroom and I went to put the Optoma projector in the living room for when I want to watch a really big screen I guess I'll just put like a pull down projector screen in front of my television I'm not having a very good day today my boyfriend went overseas for a few weeks and I was flying his drone outside today and I tried to go up to this Cloud to get some video and it decided to take a mind of its own I think and it just started flying away and I don't know where it went I just never saw it come back down

Now 6 months have passed since this tread was started. What is the experience of all those who have purchased UC-40 ?

There are many such projectors now available around Rs.8000/- to 16000/- etc. which ones are better?

Now 6 months have passed since this tread was started. What is the experience of all those who have purchased UC-40 ?

There are many such projectors now available around Rs.8000/- to 16000/- etc. which ones are better?

The projector is doing great. However, looking for an upgrade now. Its an excellent projector for a first timer to get a feel of using a projector .

MaSh

the unic UC40 i got from amazon does not have any info on service centers or who to reach out to. Any idea about service centers ?

also, i found replacement LED lamps for this projector online - has anyone tried replacing the lamps?

after being annoyed with the limited picture options on the unic and the weird colours and contrast , The ATI catalyst control panel on my laptop came to my aid!
In the advanced settings, there was a control that took care of excessive red tints on faces, another that reduced the bit depth, and another for the gamma.

now the image looks much more usable!

Oh that's great. Yes those settings must have improved the picture quality. I don't have mime with me any more. Looking for a suitable upgrade.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Never thought of projectors in my room.. But if the price is 5K, think will try it..

What is the maximum screen size that one can get on a 14 feet wall and a 10 feet viewing distance?

at 10 feet I am able to get an image 7 feet wide in full darkness, but the pixels are very prominent at that point, and dont think it would be wise to go beyond that
PS: the price is 4k on amazon!

Last edited:
at 10 feet I am able to get an image 7 feet wide in full darkness, but the pixels are very prominent at that point, and dont think it would be wise to go beyond that
PS: the price is 4k on amazon!

Price is really wonderful.. Yes.. Got it..Any idea on the diagonal screen size?

@Mash - In-future, incase you happen to get any of these projectors, please consider updating the price in the thread title :eek:hyeah:

Watched some youtube videos, convinced abt the product..

Seeking clarity from UNIC owner's..

- Since the native resolution is 800*480, must be very good for SD content on big screen? Anyone tried?
- I assume when an HD signal like 1080i/p is presented from STB/PC, it downscale to 480?
- Is there an auto aspect ratio that automatically switches between 4:3 and 16:9 content ?
- Assuming one doesn't have a good wall to project the image, what would the cheapest screen type to be considered?
- Does the distance need to be considered before freezing on screen-size?

- Since the native resolution is 800*480, must be very good for SD content on big screen? Anyone tried?
- I assume when an HD signal like 1080i/p is presented from STB/PC, it downscale to 480?
Yes, everything is downscaled. DVD rips & SD TV look good. anything higher res looks no different.
- Is there an auto aspect ratio that automatically switches between 4:3 and 16:9 content ?
widescreen content is letterboxed
- Assuming one doesn't have a good wall to project the image, what would the cheapest screen type to be considered?
I bought a 7x5 screen from ebay, cost 2k shipped, It's ok, but not significantly better than my wall ( needed it because my tv area has a window which needed to be covered )
-
Does the distance need to be considered before freezing on screen-size?
Distance and positioning - unlike most PJ's which have good keystone correction, the one in this sucks totally, so you will need to put it bang in front and at the mid point height of the screen. I'm using a table and a stool as a temporary arrangement behind the sofa in our hall.
I bought the 7x5 screen as the bigger ones were more expensive. If you have a good wall, and can keep the projector further than 10 feet, you can get a bigger image, but the screen door effect is already annoying at 7 feet, i wouldnt want to push it further.
also, in the piece i got, the reds in faces were incredibly distracting, and i never could get the colour balance right. Unless your source has some good options to correct it (like a laptop with a graphics card that has options like mine) would not recommend it for serious use

Last edited:
@Mash - In-future, incase you happen to get any of these projectors, please consider updating the price in the thread title :eek:hyeah:
:lol: Will do. Hunt is still on. Unic 46 on the cards, although keeping an eye for a Full HD projector.

also, in the piece i got, the reds in faces were incredibly distracting, and i never could get the colour balance right. Unless your source has some good options to correct it (like a laptop with a graphics card that has options like mine) would not recommend it for serious use

I think there is something called Smart Color or something like that. Turning that Off made the colors more presentable. Try giving it a shot.

MaSh

Last edited:
Yes, everything is downscaled. DVD rips & SD TV look good. anything higher res looks no different.

widescreen content is letterboxed

Thanks for your responses..

I bought a 7x5 screen from ebay, cost 2k shipped, It's ok, but not significantly better than my wall ( needed it because my tv area has a window which needed to be covered )

-
Distance and positioning - unlike most PJ's which have good keystone correction, the one in this sucks totally, so you will need to put it bang in front and at the mid point height of the screen. I'm using a table and a stool as a temporary arrangement behind the sofa in our hall.
I bought the 7x5 screen as the bigger ones were more expensive. If you have a good wall, and can keep the projector further than 10 feet, you can get a bigger image, but the screen door effect is already annoying at 7 feet, i wouldnt want to push it further.

I see that you are from Chennai, OMR.. May i drop in to take a demo if you are fine with it?

:lol: Will do. Hunt is still on. Unic 46 on the cards, although keeping an eye for a Full HD projector.

I think there is something called Smart Color or something like that. Turning that Off made the colors more presentable. Try giving it a shot. MaSh

Am considering the Unic 46 as it has wi-fi, makes life easy to play content from mobile.. But there was an other suggestion in hat Unic 46 thread... seems very good..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back