Universal Record Stabilising Ring

Weight itself is quite heavy. So I used them separately. Weight for normal records. Ring for warped ones. I didn't try them together. This particular turntable is a belt drive, and not one of those high-torque idler drives, and doesn't even have a speed adjustment. So I don't think it is a good idea to use them together. It will slow down the speed.
Joshua

You are very right. I have got the same clamp from magma and feel the speed droping just a little bit when I place the clamp
Abhijit

hmm

interesting feedback - i must take notes

there are some weights however that weigh quite a bit- these are made of brass and weigh close to 1.5kgs
Center Weight Stabilizers Non Clamping
I guess you need to know what weight is right for you

if anyone wants it lighter you may courier me back the weight
will take a turning cut of the outer dia - or figure somethng out
The design i borrowed was a thorens replica from the 1980's that is widely considered to be universal

for example - the RSR that ive made weighs between 480-550gms which is also universal

However there is one ring whichis currently in production for a VPI TT that will weigh a monstorous 3KGS!

i guess the rings and weights depend very much on the TT

I'm curious, for all the people that are using this ring, are you guys making sure your speeds are still perfect 33.3rpm and 45rpm?

The table must have a way to compensate for the possible change in speed. The ring will DEFINITELY change the tone and sound otherwise for the worse. If you can maintain perfect speed, these rings will ALWAYS benefit your sound and have the record mate better with the platter.

Hi Magma,

Received the TT clamp yesterday. It was beautifully machined and was easy to remove and re-position on a running platter. The weight was also just right.
From initial hearing, it does make a difference, especially with bass response.

Thanks a heap!

regards,

^^+1.
I too received clamp today. I totally agree, it makes difference to total audio band. I observed that vocals are clear, bass is perfect and highs are detailed. Overall shrill is removed and clarity increased. I tested in the same situation, same songs (metal and classical, hindi oldies) with and without clamp. Difference is clearly noticed.
Good work! Thanks

With clamp I did not find any pitch differences on my technics sl1200mk2, strobe dots were constantly stable to previous condition without clamp. I attribute it to DD motor's quartz controlled circuit design to regulate rpm.

Overall happy and waiting for ring.

^^+1.
I too received clamp today. I totally agree, it makes difference to total audio band. I observed that vocals are clear, bass is perfect and highs are detailed. Overall shrill is removed and clarity increased. I tested in the same situation, same songs (metal and classical, hindi oldies) with and without clamp. Difference is clearly noticed.
Good work! Thanks

With clamp I did not find any pitch differences on my technics sl1200mk2, strobe dots were constantly stable to previous condition without clamp. I attribute it to DD motor's quartz controlled circuit design to regulate rpm.

Overall happy and waiting for ring.
Hi Om,
Technics 1200 has a very torque motor.You will not notice any speed variation with this clamp.

Regards,

Sachin

hm OM
nice to know you had a positive experience with the weight.
The smaller ring as per your specs will be ready soon

here is an update to

Hailing from Byculla Mumbai weighing in at 5.5 lbs measuring 348mm in diameter and 17.2 mm thick , custom designed and machined from Solid Special Grade High Nickel alloy
The VPI classic Monster Stabilizing Ring ( My version )

Grooves running along the edges are exactly like the recommended one
(The silicone grommet over the grooves is yet to be added though)

Note : this ring weighs 5 times more than the universal ring.

Specs are according to this
VPI Industries Inc. - Periphery Ring Clamp
VPI STAINLESS STEEL RING CLAMP - elusivedisc

Note the specs on my ring are slightly tweaked to increase the weight!
The above website has the ring weighing 4lbs 13oz
My ring weighs 5.5 lbs since certain forums have advised a ring in this 6lbs range

here is an update to

Hailing from Byculla Mumbai weighing in at 5.5 lbs measuring 348mm in diameter and 17.2 mm thick , custom designed and machined from Solid Special Grade High Nickel alloy
The VPI classic Monster Stabilizing Ring ( My version )

Call it Ringzilla! Looks awesome. Two and half kilos of sheer downforce to rein in unruly warps.
Joshua

I'm curious, for all the people that are using this ring, are you guys making sure your speeds are still perfect 33.3rpm and 45rpm?

The table must have a way to compensate for the possible change in speed. The ring will DEFINITELY change the tone and sound otherwise for the worse. If you can maintain perfect speed, these rings will ALWAYS benefit your sound and have the record mate better with the platter.

Hi Shaizada,
good to see you back. Actullay I had the same thought like how does the TT knows to keep rotating at the same speed even with the added load. Don't have much time to read these days but whatever little I read I think the VPI maintains the speed with the help of input frequency. I can't use the SDS since it is meant for 110V model only. Do you think if I use some UPS or AC regenerator which maintains the constant input frequency that will do the job? If not then what is the solution?
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

One client mentioned that his old thorens(if im not wrong) needed to be calibrated each time he used a new ring or a new center weight

i assume there is some method to recaliberate

Mahi
about the VPI
i too have read that it is built to take on such a load
the platter is also supposedly very heavy
The motor and moving parts are built to those standards

dont have too much info though

Recalibration would need to be done by adjusting the pitch control to increase speed in case there is slowing down on account of the weight impact of the ring or clamp. This actually might put additional strain on the motor, or idler wheel, which would not be a good thing. Belt drives using relatively low torque motors (like the Linn LP12) would not be the right candidates for such accessories. However, a high torque motor should sail through without any impact on speed.

Got my ring a day back. Sure works. The sound is more 'assured'. Will have to do proper listening to make out differences cos am battling another problem right now, IGD! :mad: Thanks Magma!

By the way the acrylic is useless. The ring just sits peacefully by itself cos of the inverted lip. Though I guess for transportation its useful? Magma you might need to customize the acrylic platter to each turntable spindle cos mine does not fit. Not really an issue since I don't need it for use but something you might want to fix for others.

Another point is not all LPs are the same, the very first one I tried, the ring would not fit cos the LP was a bit bigger/uneven? I thought something was wrong with my ring then changed LPs and the ring fat snugly.

Regards

By the way the acrylic is useless.
It has some use. It can be cleaned and used for tonearm and cartridge setting. Rest it flat on platter during stationary position. After resting stylus on it you can measure correct height of cartridge, in that position check if tone arm rest parallel to platter or not. etc
Also I am not sure if I play it like record w/o any groove then my stylus should not move inwards or outward. This could be check for balanced VTF v/s anti-skating value.

Another point is not all LPs are the same, the very first one I tried, the ring would not fit cos the LP was a bit bigger/uneven? I thought something was wrong with my ring then changed LPs and the ring fat snugly.
You are absolutely correct.

The acrylic rings cost me 100 bucks to make
even if it is useless for centering i did find it useful for transport

100 bucks was not a large amount so i just got them done for everyone anyway

the ring groove is made 0.5mm larger in diameter than the reccomended size especailly since i thought this would help the problem that steve mentioned

i guess i was wrong

i had three Lps at home
they all fit - so i assumed my calculations we perfect

anyway i do not think increasing the ring diameter over and above that 0.5 is a good idea
it will introduce to much play!

Hi Magma,

I mention uselessness of the acrylic only to highlight the ease of centering by itself nothing else. Please do not construe it as criticism . That's not my intention :) maybe redundant is a better word.

All lps will be different so no issues on the diameter. Am sure it will end up fitting most lps out there.

Once again many thanks for venturing to undertake making gear for this niche segment! Now that my cart is all set up I can listen properly over the weekend and then give you a call to let you know my proper impressions.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has some use. It can be cleaned and used for tonearm and cartridge setting. Rest it flat on platter during stationary position. After resting stylus on it you can measure correct height of cartridge, in that position check if tone arm rest parallel to platter or not. etc
Also I am not sure if I play it like record w/o any groove then my stylus should not move inwards or outward. This could be check for balanced VTF v/s anti-skating value.

You are absolutely correct.

Interesting Omishra!

Just make sure the stylus is not near the edge and slides off!

By the way Magma,

Since the ring serves more in transit than use on platter here's an idea. Make a bigger circular attachment to the acrylic and have sone sort of moving mechanism so it rotates like on ball bearings so it can be used like a sort of lazy susan to clean lps. That would be more functional after it's served it's transit use. What do you think? Two birds with one stone!

By the way Magma,

Since the ring serves more in transit than use on platter here's an idea. Make a bigger circular attachment to the acrylic and have sone sort of moving mechanism so it rotates like on ball bearings so it can be used like a sort of lazy susan to clean lps. That would be more functional after it's served it's transit use. What do you think? Two birds with one stone!

i didnt understand:confused:

Hi Magma,

The acrylic platter is on top. The round wood piece at the bottom. Make the wood piece LP label size so it sits better. Ball bearings and another wood piece at the bottom or some sort of mechanism so the platter rotates on its axis. Or you could make a smallish spindle with a base so the LP sits over it and rests on the bottom wood piece. Then make another wood/acrylic top piece which has a finger indentation so one can hold it and rotate the platter. LP is placed on this rotating platter, fluid is put on the LP, and brush is held down while the LP is rotated. A cheap cleaning platform!

Regards

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back