Unknown Disc Error Pioneer BDP 440

zklasse

HI,

I own a Pioneer BDP 440 blu ray player. Its working fine since a couple of years. I even have the latest firmware on the player (v 2.20)

I recently put in a dvd to play and it says unknown disk. I put in few more dvd's (all original and all which used to play flawlessly on this player earlier) but still the same error. I tried using original audio cd's but again the same error. I put in a blu ray and it played flawlessly confirming that the blu ray lens is fine.
I checked and upgraded the firmware again to 2.20 but the same issue. I even got a new lens for it and fitted it. Same error again.

I am not sure if it is a hardware issue or software issue. When the player case is opened and a dvd is inserted I can see the pickup holding the disc up but it does not spin and immediately says Unknown Disc. Pioneer service station wants 7000rs+ labor for fitting a new loader tray mechanism.

I don't think the whole loader tray has to be replaced and I feel it could be some sort of a software issue.

I would be highly obliged if someone can guide me or let me know what exactly could be wrong with my player.

HI,

I own a Pioneer BDP 440 blu ray player. Its working fine since a couple of years. I even have the latest firmware on the player (v 2.20)

I recently put in a dvd to play and it says unknown disk. I put in few more dvd's (all original and all which used to play flawlessly on this player earlier) but still the same error. I tried using original audio cd's but again the same error. I put in a blu ray and it played flawlessly confirming that the blu ray lens is fine.
I checked and upgraded the firmware again to 2.20 but the same issue. I even got a new lens for it and fitted it. Same error again.

I am not sure if it is a hardware issue or software issue. When the player case is opened and a dvd is inserted I can see the pickup holding the disc up but it does not spin and immediately says Unknown Disc. Pioneer service station wants 7000rs+ labor for fitting a new loader tray mechanism.

I don't think the whole loader tray has to be replaced and I feel it could be some sort of a software issue.

I would be highly obliged if someone can guide me or let me know what exactly could be wrong with my player.

I had the LX 55 and my younger bro still owns the 450.......Have you checked what did the latest firmware contain? As in what did the update address?

These players came specific to Region A or 1 codes etc......also are fussy when playing certain DVD disc or video formats.

Lucky for me, I got the Oppo 103 through this forum almost 2 years back sold the LX 55.

It could also be a motherboard issue......such parts to source would be difficult and costly.

I have a 450 and it is also very selective in playing discs. I keep getting unknown disc error on good discs. Just open the tray and close again 2 or 3 times and it works for some (atleast)

I had face same problem with my Pioneer BDP-450 last year. Same shown to authorize service center. They were unable to repair it as it's lence was not available and cost almost 10-12 k if source from outside of India. So to try last chance, I handed over to local repair shop and surprisingly he repaired it at the cost of Rs.1200/-. He said he has adjusted the lence and change certain settings inside.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back