Upgrade for 4 Channel Amp

zoso02

I need help with;...should I upgrade my 4 channel amp? If so then which amp?

Here is the set up in my Scorpio;

Front Components - Polk Momo components (125 W RMS)
4 Channel Amp - Blaupunkt GTA 470 (Older model with the blue and silver cover. I think it's 75X4 @ 4 Ohms
HU - Alpine 9855r
Back - Polk Momo Co axils
Sub - MTX 8500 12" in a ported enclosure
Mono - Alpine (forgot the model)

I think the weak link in my system is the Blaupunkt 4 channel and upgrading that could improve the SQ. Pls let me know your thoughts?

If I were to change the amp I would like to get something that is warm and musical as the Polk Momo's can be a bit bright. I mostly listen to Classic rock and some months it's just all different genres. My budget is around 25K for a 4 channel amp.

Thanks...

Thanks Kittu...few more questions when u get the time. Where can I get a good deal on Hifonics in Bangalore? Also do you or anyone have experiecne with the Diamond Audio D600.4?

Thanks Kittu...few more questions when u get the time. Where can I get a good deal on Hifonics in Bangalore? Also do you or anyone have experiecne with the Diamond Audio D600.4?

My Scorp runs on a semi hifonics package and install done by at EVO. Satya is the importer for hifonics and their products are pretty good. I have a sub and a mono-bloc from Hifonics.
I doubt if anyone is importing eFX components these days else I would have recommended these for components. The polks are way too bright for my tastes , but if tuned well and coupled with a good HU and amp they should sound just about right.

If you are open to recommendations listen to the eFX series of amps . I have heard the 4300 series and this is one I would love to have. Right now am running the older series 4200 and works brilliant.

For components there are other brands like JLAudio, Morel, DLS, Rainbow et all. If you have the money spend on JLAudio components. Morels are VFM and if you are on a budget audition the Morel Temp 6,they sounded neat with a friends Kenwood HU.

Once again its a mix and match of models and brands that can get you the perfect and desired sound.

If I were you I would only change the front components to the center doors and get a new pair of components for the front door. Do a flush mount of the tweeters and run them off a good 4 channel amp in bridged mode. Ideally your setup for now warrants a better HU, components and good 4 channel Amp. Go step by step and let know if you need help from Satya. I will pm you his contact details.

kittu said ECLIPSE , damn wished we could get the Eclipse 7200 MKII for cheap when it was available. A used one still retails at the price of an arm and a leg.

Thanks...I do agree about the polks being bright. I do however have it tuned to my taste and will look at an upgrade at a later stage.

For now I feel that the 4 channel amp is the weak link however like you rightly pointed out if I change to a good one then new components would be required; which I could upgrade later.

Have you or anyone used the Cerwin Vega 400.4? I listened to it and it sounded good with the polks but have always been a bit skeptical about CW.

Thanks...

Have you or anyone used the Cerwin Vega 400.4? I listened to it and it sounded good with the polks but have always been a bit skeptical about CW.

Have no idea about CERWIN VEGA pal, haven't had a chance to listen to any of their products. See once again let me re-iterate anything can sound good if coupled with the right amp and HU. So try and eliminate the weak link and yeah I call this ICE thingy a bottomless pit :D . Every year you get that new itch to upgrade.

I thought the cerwin also falls under forward or bright category. Most techno and metal lovers find cerwins kickking.

Rjstyles...I totally agree...this upgrade thing between home and car is killing me :). Btw why do u think the HU needs to go...I've had some great experience with the Alpine 9855r...it's not like the other Alpine HU's...lots of EQ and Crossover options along with great time correction.
Kittu...I actually tried the Cerwin with my set up and it sounded pretty good. Maybe just the sound signature of this particular amp. And it's priced just around 12k. Since my budget is a bit more I might just see what an upgrade will do and change my components while i'm at it :)

Will keep u guys updated...thanks again

zoso sorry if I conveyed the wrong message, I intended to say

let me re-iterate anything can sound good if coupled with the right amp and HU.

the alpine's are pretty good and no doubts about it :) .

Hey...no prob RJ. Just wanted to talk a little about my HU...this thing is capable of some good stuff.

So this is where I stand today with the upgrade;

Replaced the amp with the Mascone One 120.4. It still needs to be installed though.

I am also looking at changing the comps with either the Hybrid Audio Technologies Clarus 6.5" or the L6 midbass/midrange driver with the L1 tweeter and going with an active set up. Also looking at the Image Dynamics CSX 6.5" and Audio Systems X-ion 165
Leaning more towards the HAT though.

Let's see what comes out of this upgrade bug:)

Masconi is a good brand man, I think it is the same company Steg.I have read some soooper stuff about the Stegs and there was a cult following this brand earlier.
Pray that the upgrade bug gets outta you soon :D.

Replaced the amp with the Mascone One 120.4. It still needs to be installed though.

I am also looking at changing the comps with either the Hybrid Audio Technologies Clarus 6.5" or the L6 midbass/midrange driver with the L1 tweeter and going with an active set up. Also looking at the Image Dynamics CSX 6.5" and Audio Systems X-ion 165
Leaning more towards the HAT though.

Let's see what comes out of this upgrade bug:)

Some info on price/dealer/installer please? :clapping:

Wanted to update you guys...

Got the Mosconi One 120.4 yesterday and powered it...Wow...it's a beautiful amp. Didn't know my polks can sound this good...I can go really high on the volume without any harshness and great detail. Feels like I've started using a new set of components. I'm definitely a fan of Mosconi for life:)

Now looking for a new set of comp's to get the full potential from the amp...confused between the HAT Clarus or going active with the HAT Legata L6 and the L1v2. Let's see what comes out of it.

Installation at EVO (Satya)...understood exactly what I needed and suggested the Mosconi...did a lot of my research and finally took the plunge. Cost me 29K

The HAT's i plan on getting from the US through Borderlinx.

Will keep you guys updated.

Congrats man, I told you eh :D

anything can sound good if coupled with the right amp and HU.

How long did the tuning take ? This fella is crazy, have known him for years now much before he opened EVO. I used to loose patience sitting with him while he tuned the ICE.

Thank you :)...it took quite a while. Satya is a great guy.

I finally decided not to go with the hassle, patience and added expense of getting the HAT from US and bought the Rainbow SLC 265 Kick which was readily available with Anwar (Top Gear). This guy is a great installer...a bit expensive but him and his boys really know their stuff. Had gone to him many yrs back as well for some basic car audio.

Now coming to the Rainbows...great set of speakers for the price...think I paid 21K. Great mid bass and a sweet tweeter...it did however sound a bit shrill just out of the box and without EQ on the headunit but 2 days of listening and I have started loving it. Very audiophile sound and this is with me keeping everything flat...crossovers on the comps to default and using only the amp tuning. Even without the burn in, minimal EQ, no time alignment, XO settings etc it sounds great. I want to let it run for another week before I start the tweaking.

A few tips for anyone going the Rainbow route and searching on the net;
- Wait for the new line of rainbows...which I believe is out next month
- Place tweeters closer to the mids...just my preference though as suggested by old timers try out different positions post which many of the crossover settings on the comp can be adjusted
- Go up the value chain in this brand if you have the dough
- The "kick" version does not go very low...just around 70hz and you would need a sub which in any case I feel you do with any components. This one is more tuned to give better sounds on the kick drums and it does
- If you are used to an american speaker maker and switch to these...give it a few days to get used to the sound. I have always felt that as your tastes in music shift more towards audiophile recordings...the European brands make better sense...just my take on this from 2 Channel home audio experience. Btw these speakers sound good with trance as well :)

Overall I am pretty happy for now...who knows a month from now :)

Nice Set up dude, i heared the One sereis from Mosconi. Its is a good clean and compact amp. But felt it is sligtly overpriced here, anyway thats my personal observation.

Why dont you post some pics

Thank Berryred. I would have loved to post some pics however there is a bit of a conflict of interest now.

While looking at upgrading my set up I kept coming across a brand of speakers called Hybrid Audio Technologies (HAT) from the US. Unfortunately it was not available in India and getting it from the US was turning out to be expensive. A few days later I decided to take control and approached HAT with a proposition to be their sole distributor for India and Sri Lanka. Many sleepless nights and we have finally signed the contract under the name BeeSound Inc. :)

Mods, pls also use this post as my declaration of now having commercial interest in audio products. I plan to adhere to all forum policies around this.

Warmly,
Jasdeep

Wow, signing a contract is a big thing !!.
I dont know much about Hybrid Audio. What do they deal with ?

PS: Sorry for Hijacking your thread, Maybe you should start a new one for people's queries

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back