upgrade my CD Player

mitul mehta

I have CA 540C V2 CDP pls suggest me which will be better CDP for my AMP Marantz Class A PM7002 and speakers quad 22L2. Can any one suggest me secondhand or new CDP in range of 20K to 30k.

Tharun, if you are looking at the level of C542, I would suggest you wait a bit and look at the new models from CA, particularly the 650C CDp. It has a much better design and better construction and some freaky specs. They have installed bulk of their DACMagic DAC in the 650C. I tried to audition one in Dubai, but unfortunately they were expecting a demo piece only by Feb middle. Hopefully it should be on the racks in India also by now.

Over the last few months I have seen many CDp's from NAD arrive with some mechanical or technical problem. Both NAD CDp's and amplifiers seem to have issues with power switches. They have a red light coming on that shows that power is flowing in. But when you use the remote or press the power switch, the units will fail to power on. Their CDp's also have mechanical problems where the tray gets stuck and the player does not seem to recognise a disc inside.

I used to be a great fan of the NAD CDp's, particularly their BEE series. But lately I have been worried with their quality control.

A long time ago I had a demo of the 640C and 640A powering a pair of Quad bookshelves. I have yet to hear such tightness and accuracy from a system at that price range. NAD tends to pamper the lower frequency sometimes making me feel I am missing something in the mid and high frequencies. But, this could be nitpicking and purely a personal opinion.

Asit uses the 840 and seems very happy with that.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks
venkat

I too agree with you about NAD and i am looking to buy CA 840C Up sampling. I have received the quotes from one of the dealer and i am working on it.He has given me a offer of 55K.

No I am not looking for a NAD CDP , I was telling Mitul to look for a NAD since this player is considered as a good buy in the 30k mark. Sorry for the confusion.

Tharun

I recall a discussion with Asit on CA 740C vs. 840C & he said apart from the 840C offering Balanced Outputs, they are more or less very similar, 740C at abt the 40k mark. Hence he went for that as he didnt require balanced outputs.
Does the 740C have a digital input ?

Thanks
venkat

I too agree with you about NAD and i am looking to buy CA 840C Up sampling. I have received the quotes from one of the dealer and i am working on it.He has given me a offer of 55K.

The price of 55k for 840C is very good price. Can you please share the dealer's name and contact details.

Never heard them myself, but the reports do talk of it having a very different sound from the 740/640..from the specs you have posted the reason is perhaps apparent

Amit the dealer is in baroda. Thanks to audio engr for camparision. I have heard both the CDps and their is big difference. 840C is best i have ever heard.

Hi all,

Yes, I own the 740c, and not the 840c. I have heard them both, so have Amitnoida and we agree, as far as I understood. Despite the difference in the DAC chips the sound is very similar. If anything, I liked the 740c slightly better, somehow I found more musicality in 740c than in 840c which may have more details (no lack of details in the 740c either).

Arj, I have not liked the sound of all CA CDPs upto 640c (of course comparatively speaking). The 740c and 840c sound is in a different league and at their current prices (55K and 70-75K) I think they are steals and it IS unfortunate we do not talk about them at all in this forum. People who want to set up entry level systems talk only upto the 640c (I think there are better alternatives at that price), and people who want to spend more do not talk about or show any interest in 740c/840c probably because of the budget name (I do not see anybody even trying to audition these). Sorry if I have offended anybody by saying this.

I have recently heard a number very good set-ups in Mumbai, and almost all of them use CDPs (one unit or DAC+transport) which are cost-wise above or way above what I paid for my CDP. I know I have decent amp and speakers (that I am extremely happy with), but my CDP could have been a spoiler. After the comparison of my system with these systems in Mumbai, the least I must say is that my CDP is not spoiling anything for me.

I think people should give these CDPs (740c and 840c) a serious listen and then decide.

Mitul, the 55K price is the list price for the 740c. The 840c is 20K more than that.

Regards.

and people who want to spend more do not talk about or show any interest in 740c/840c probably because of the budget name (I do not see anybody even trying to audition these). Sorry if I have offended anybody by saying this.

Well said Asit - I am seeing quite a bit of audio snobbery in the forum:sad:, there are some good players in the budget range that will give the big boys a run for the money.
Cheers
Sid

Is it true that there is not much of a difference between indian and US prices of CA products?
I checked prices on Ebay USA

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back