Upgraded to TATA Sky Plus, the component video gives me a better picture!

Hello,
Though I do not fancy the picture quality of most DTH operators in general (noticeably more compressed that a HQ DVD), I find Tata Sky Plus to be a subtle improvement over Tata Sky. (because of the Component OUT)

Colours over Component OUT look a bit punchier compared to composite from my old vanilla TATA Sky.

I have a Sony Bravia KLV32V-550A. (I gifted it to my dad) :yahoo:

Thanks for info,
Currently I m using Dishtv with composite out & few ch looks much better.
Do you find all(80%) ch on Tatasky looks good?
How do you compare LCD to CRT on Tatasky?

How much you paid and is theres any exchange offer for old Tata boxes?
Yesterday Big Bazaar guys published ad in TOI that Tata Sky + just for 14xx and installation free :rolleyes:

i couldn't notice much of a difference betwen composite on the old TS box and component on the TS+ box, but colour is one aspect I wasn't really looking at.....image resolution, clarity, detail, skin tones ......in none of these areas did i notice any improvement.....

i couldn't notice much of a difference betwen composite on the old TS box and component on the TS+ box, but colour is one aspect I wasn't really looking at.....image resolution, clarity, detail, skin tones ......in none of these areas did i notice any improvement.....

I agree with psychotropic - I have not noticed any improvement period. If fact the PQ is quite dismal in all channels except channel 100 where they keep airing ads - now that looks quite good. Do not remember in the regular tata sky if they had a 100.
Cheers
Sid

oh yes channel 100 has the least compression......used to be the best on the old box as well.....it actually genuinely looks pretty decent and then you realise the potential of the DTH platform that these fools are wasting by applying so much compression on their signals. But the PVR functionality is so good, I won't consider changing to another DTH operator......

I agree with psychotropic - I have not noticed any improvement period. If fact the PQ is quite dismal in all channels except channel 100 where they keep airing ads - now that looks quite good. Do not remember in the regular tata sky if they had a 100.
Cheers
Sid

Yup - I am waiting earnestly for the day when they will start broadcast at least at a reduced compression level if none at all. At wonder amidst all this when we can have true HD broadcasts.
Cheers

Cheers
Sid

True, picture quality is not particularly impressive, but not unwatchable. Quite surprisingly, I found the MPEG4 based BIG TV to be even more dismal.

I watch cricket most of the time and STAR Cricket looks pretty good on TATA Sky+.

The picture quality improvement from Component is subtle. It removes some of the dot crawl artifacts and adds a wee bit more punch to the colours and black level. Or it could be that the Bravia processes the signal on the component inputs better.

Thanks for info,
Currently I m using Dishtv with composite out & few ch looks much better.
Do you find all(80%) ch on Tatasky looks good?
How do you compare LCD to CRT on Tatasky?

I tried Dish TV long ago. I remember Dish TV to have a terrible contrast problem with ESPN, where the white cricket ball would cease to be discernible from an overblown and bright cricket pitch. Don't know if that issue still exists.

Yup - I am waiting earnestly for the day when they will start broadcast at least at a reduced compression level if none at all. At wonder amidst all this when we can have true HD broadcasts.
Cheers

Me too.... but for that more of us need to stand up and demand quality. :eek:hyeah:

dnt kno abt big tv n all...
bt thr is a difference in component and composite using tata sky plus..
i hooked up both simultaneously nd compared by switching tht tv mode...
the colors were better using component..the tata sky logo looked dotted on composite bt smooth on component..bt i wz expecting much more differnce..the person who came to install tata sky had said tht whn i would switch to component the pq will be 2-3 times more..lol
is it the cable tht came with tata sky+ tht aint gud enough or wat?
the panasonic person who came to install my plasma tv suggested me to get a more expensive cable...he said the free one is worth 40-5r0 in the market n decent 1's cost above 1000...
will it really make a difference?

a more expensive cable...he said the free one is worth 40-5r0 in the market n decent 1's cost above 1000...

I found better cables(not necessarily costly) can give better PQ in terms of Brightness & contrast.

dnt kno abt big tv n all...
bt thr is a difference in component and composite using tata sky plus..
i hooked up both simultaneously nd compared by switching tht tv mode...
the colors were better using component..the tata sky logo looked dotted on composite bt smooth on component..bt i wz expecting much more differnce..the person who came to install tata sky had said tht whn i would switch to component the pq will be 2-3 times more..lol
is it the cable tht came with tata sky+ tht aint gud enough or wat?
the panasonic person who came to install my plasma tv suggested me to get a more expensive cable...he said the free one is worth 40-5r0 in the market n decent 1's cost above 1000...

Exactly my observation.

The component is more effective in plasma than LCDs because of higher RGB values and mere number of colour which the plasmas can reproduce.

Psychotropic, I think you have a plasma, I don't understand how you could not see the difference in colour and contrast and black level. Maybe you should look again.

I found better cables(not necessarily costly) can give better PQ in terms of Brightness & contrast.

tht would be great...aware of ne such cable?
nt too costly bt of better pq thn the free cable..
i thought tht since its nt a digital cable...the branded 1's would be much better..bt thn much expensive as well!
a not so expensive component cable with better pq would be awesome..

I dont use very highend cables,cheap solution like MX component(thick cable)for around Rs.200 is doing good job.
For coax digital,I went for Profigold.

Exactly my observation.

The component is more effective in plasma than LCDs because of higher RGB values and mere number of colour which the plasmas can reproduce.

Psychotropic, I think you have a plasma, I don't understand how you could not see the difference in colour and contrast and black level. Maybe you should look again.

Yes, black level, colour depth and contrast are a bit better on Component. Very noticeable. And dot crawl artifacts are gone too!

let me do that simultaneous hook up and compare routine. But without close observation, i really couldn't notice any improvement. Will report back after comparing 'side by side'.

Exactly my observation.

With most of the companies now passing HDMI , its high time our TATA SKY and other vedors pass HDMI out

Component is good no doubts and certainly better then composite connectivity

i am pretty certain we'll see HD offerings frmo tata sky and Big TV during 2010......so fasten your seatbelts, 2010 should be an exciting year :)

i am pretty certain we'll see HD offerings frmo tata sky and Big TV during 2010......so fasten your seatbelts, 2010 should be an exciting year :)

I am looking forward to HD too! But, even with HD, the low bitrate loophole will potentially exist, unless of course the government lays down guidelines for operators to stay above a minimum bit-rate.

Who cares if all we see is a 1920 X 1080P picture, albiet at a low bit-rate?

And another nice development would be the removal of the mandatory Doordarshan channels from DTH networks; these waste valuable transponder bandwidth.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back