Upgrading Center Speaker of Wharfdale Obsidian 600 HT Package

ankitbhargava

Hi

I am considering to upgrade the Center Channel of my Obsidian 600 HT Package. I have Denon 2113 to drive the HT

May be something from Wharfdale only?

I'm also considering changing my center speaker. I want something that has at least 6.5 inch woofer. Not that i'm not happy with the center that i have now but having observed how much of the movie sound comes through the center channel, i want to try this out.
I'm considering either Polk tsx 250c or BIC Acoustech PL-28. I want something that has high sensitivity too because my receiver is not extremely powerful or anything.
I missed out on buying Wharfedale Diamond 10 CM at a killer price from someone i knew. I feel timbre matching between LCR may not be such a big deal for me.

Any specific reason for the upgrade? What are you looking in the new center channel?

Being in a small town, I honestly do not have opportunity to audition various systems and draw a comparison and comprehend how much difference it makes after any upgrade.

However during my last travel to Ahmedabad I heard a Polk standard RTi7 setup and a Tannoy usual HT Package, the dialogues were much crispier.

Presently as I mentioned Wharfdale Obsidian HT Package, I have an apprehension that being part of package the center channel may not be as good as buying in separately. Again I havent done many auditions and which is why I rely on advise here :)

Being in a small town, I honestly do not have opportunity to audition various systems and draw a comparison and comprehend how much difference it makes after any upgrade.

However during my last travel to Ahmedabad I heard a Polk standard RTi7 setup and a Tannoy usual HT Package, the dialogues were much crispier.

Presently as I mentioned Wharfdale Obsidian HT Package, I have an apprehension that being part of package the center channel may not be as good as buying in separately. Again I havent done many auditions and which is why I rely on advise here :)

Oh, those Polk's are awesome... When I bought the RtiA3 bookshelves, I too auditioned the RTiA7's (my next upgrade) as well as the A9's and I loved the A7's. But due to space restrictions I had to satisfy myself with the bookshelves. But since then the A7's are in my mind and I will buy them later this year and make my A3's as surrounds.

Now, coming to your point ie., center channel. I agree with you the more powerful the center channel speakers the more better quality and crisp dialogues you get. If you want to upgrade the center, than I would suggest that you choose one brand of speakers and upgrade the fronts as well now or at a later date. As the sound signature (known as Timbre Matching) will be different in each different type of speaker. For example as I chose Polk Audio RTi series, and upgraded the fronts and center for the awesome experience. But my surrounds are still the satellites from Onkyo, which I feel are rather almost sleeping in sound quality compared to the Polk's. Once I upgrade the surrounds to Polk's then I will get the actual HT awesomeness.

As you are driving a Denon 2113 and if I'm not wrong they are 95watts per channel @ 8ohms, you can easily drive a powerful center speaker like the Polk Audio CSi A4 (180watts). Though you may want to consider a Warf center due to Timbre Matching, you can look at the Diamond 10.CM series or even more better the, Diamond 100 series.

But one more thing to consider here is once you upgrade the center to more powerful speaker, the fronts may sound a little behind the center at times. So, if considering then think of upgrading the L+R+C altogether. The surrounds can be done later as well.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back