upgrading existing Home Theater

sharanu1974

Hi,

I am new to this forum while i wanted to get new system with a budget of 50 to 60k after reading this thread i went about exploring both

complete home theater like SONY,PHILLIPS,SAMSUNG,LG POINEER and
combination system like Onkyo/JBL speakers+AV like yahama or any others equivalent.

In the middle of all this analysis a thought came into my mind on the following

i have a phillips HTS old one with 1000watts well build tall boy woddens speakers/5.1 channel.This system has been functioning very well with good sound and bass quality.

My query is can i just buy a same brand philips blue ray player and connect its digital audio out to my existing digital audio in.

which ensures i get a blue ray /mkv play back on USB and also connect HDD.

What could be good or bad things in this arrangements

1) Will this work.
2) Are Digital AV efficient to carry sound from -to old system .

Panny (or) Sny blue ray are best in market compared with Philips.
Optical Digital audio will carry only 2 channels.
Only HDMI can carry 5.1 and more in digital.

Panny (or) Sny blue ray are best in market compared with Philips.

Optical and coaxial both can carry 5.1 audio. That is what was used before HDMI and is still in use (non HDMI equipment such as mine as of now - soon to change:D). Only they cannot carry HD audio (used for blu ray discs) due to bandwidth limitation.

Hi,

What could be good or bad things in this arrangements

1) Will this work.
2) Are Digital AV efficient to carry sound from -to old system .

1. Check if your Philips HTS has a Optical or coaxial in which supports 5.1 audio, some models only support 2 channel digital input. Info about this should be available in the product's manual. If your HTS has a 5.1 optical or coaxial in then you can connect it with any Blu-ray player with optical or coaxial out.

2. Your Philips HTS might have some limitations, it might lack DTS decoding support or might not support new formats like DTS-HD or Dolby Dolby True-HD. This should not be a problem if your happy with regular 5.1 Dolby Digital or 5.1 DTS.

I would suggest you to first get a Blu-ray player and check how the sound quality is with your Philips HTS. If you feel the need to upgrade then you can go for a new AV receiver + speakers.

The 2 channel limit only applies to PCM audio.

The unit I have is philips hts 3569. This has both hdmi and digital in(coaxial).as suggested I read through manual it has instructions of how to connect hdmi audio or digital in.

With limitations as said above I am happy to have just 5.1 as suggested above.

May be test and execute I need to somehow test first with a the player before purchasing.

Thank you all so much for your valuable inputs.

As and when I attempt I shall keep you all posted on the final results.

Regards,

Sharanu

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back