Upgrading from Polk Tsi300 speakers. Need some advice..

srinivas1015

My current living room 7.1.2 setup consists of:

TSI 300 (Fronts, Surrounds, Rears)

CS20 Center

OWM5 Rear Heights

DSW500 sub

Marantz sr6011 receiver

I use this with my projector so I quite like the large sound that accompanies the large image. I'm getting a OLED for the bedroom and need some advice on what speakers to get.

I love the sound of the Polks and will be mostly using it for movies, shows, video games, and occasionally, music. My main complaint with my current setup is that dialogue can be a little muddy. Need a much better center this time. I'm also looking for fronts where the musical scores in films can 'swell' a lot more freely.

Polks are all I've known and I'm considering the Signature series. Probably the s50 or the s55. What are the differences between these two? And how does the Signature series compare to the RTi series?

I'm also thinking of getting 4 s50 towers: two to use as fronts in my living room (replacing the tsi300), and another two as fronts in my bedroom. I can use the tsi300 speakers from the living room as surrounds in the bedroom.

Questions:

1) If I use the s50 as fronts and tsi300 as sides and rears, will there be timbre matching?

2) Are the s50 speakers a significant improvement over the tsi300? If so, in what way? Or should I just get the tsi300 for upstairs as well?

3) What's the best price for the s50 currently? Any Diwali Offers for speakers?

4) Will the Denon x1400h be enough to drive the bedroom setup at medium-isa volume? (Bedrooms setup: s50 fronts, tsi300 surrounds, svs elevation for front heights)

5) Sub recommendation for the bedroom? Will be using it late night so want something mellow. I don't want room-shaking bass, but the sub shouldn't bottom-out.

One last question: could I do without a sub for the bedroom setup? I'm thinking I could get two s60 fronts, use two tsi300 surrounds, and set them to 'full range' in the receiver. Since I want to use this setup at night, I don't want room-rumbling bass. But I also don't want the sound to be 'thin'.

Using full range speakers would mean a 'heavy' sound without being overwhelming, right? It won't hurt the speakers, I hope?

Bedroom is 15ft x 12ft.

My main complaint with my current setup is that dialogue can be a little muddy. Need a much better center this time.

Am not very sure, but this could be a problem with excess bass in the room (or) at the speaker location.. Before changing the speaker, try to add some sound absorption panels behind the center speaker and check if that helps..

Bedroom is 15ft x 12ft.

Will the Denon x1400h be enough to drive the bedroom setup at medium-isa volume?

I would suggest Pioneer LX 303, a 9.2 capable AVR.. So you can easily do a 5.1.4 set-up.. Why settle for less?..

One last question: could I do without a sub for the bedroom setup?

If it is movies primarily, then a sub makes a better choice.. You can always turn down the volume knob on the sub if you feel too much bass..

I'm thinking I could get two s60 fronts, use two tsi300 surrounds, and set them to 'full range' in the receiver. Since I want to use this setup at night, I don't want room-rumbling bass. But I also don't want the sound to be 'thin'.

The front speakers that you are considering Polk S60 has a depth of 40cm.. In a bedroom that can be asking for too much space..

Consider a speaker that has shallow depth, preferably wall mounted..My suggestion would be Taga Harmony Platinum LCR 60 SL, approx 11cm depth (or) S90 SL speakers all around your room.. They too are wall mountable..

Am not very sure, but this could be a problem with excess bass in the room (or) at the speaker location.. Before changing the speaker, try to add some sound absorption panels behind the center speaker and check if that helps..

I would suggest Pioneer LX 303, a 9.2 capable AVR.. So you can easily do a 5.1.4 set-up.. Why settle for less?..

If it is movies primarily, then a sub makes a better choice.. You can always turn down the volume knob on the sub if you feel too much bass..

The front speakers that you are considering Polk S60 has a depth of 40cm.. In a bedroom that can be asking for too much space..

Consider a speaker that has shallow depth, preferably wall mounted..My suggestion would be Taga Harmony Platinum LCR 60 SL, approx 11cm depth (or) S90 SL speakers all around your room.. They too are wall mountable..

I have some space for the fronts (near the projector screen and also the tv in the bedroom), so I think can go for the towers. Besides, I want a full range stereo setup for music anyway.

About the receiver, I like the Pioneer but I see it doesn't have Audyssey. It's something I can't live without. At this point, I might as well go for a second Marantz, the sr6013.

What are some alternatives to the s60 in the same price range? Would the SVS towers match the Polk Tsi300 surrounds?

Also, are there usually Diwali offers for high-end speakers and receivers? Or is that just for television and stuff?

Also, are there usually Diwali offers for high-end speakers and receivers? Or is that just for television and stuff?

For the Hi-fi products, whenever a bulk purchase is made by a member, then that day would be Diwali for the seller / dealer ;).. Nope we don't get diwali sale for hi-fi as we get for television & other electronics..

For the Hi-fi products, whenever a bulk purchase is made by a member, then that day would be Diwali for the seller / dealer ;).. Nope we don't get diwali sale for hi-fi as we get for television & other electronics..

Haha, cool :)

In that case, there's no pressure to choose quickly before the time runs out.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back