upgrading the setup for my dali's

vijay_ditango

guys,
I am planning to upgrade (add more to) my existing setup for music. My current setup - ps3/onkyo 705/Dali 6 5.0 surround/ velodyne CHT-r15/ is very good for movies but i want to improve on the music part. I am planning to get a cd player/stereo amp added to the setup to drive my dali's.
I read about this ARCAM MS250 music server which would perfectly fit the CD player part (but not sure what the price is). I have to decide on the stereo amp part. Any suggestions on how to get the best out of dali ikon 6? And where do i get it in bangalore?

regards
vijay

Hi Vijay

Whats your budget and listening choices?

Arcam is a good choice for the Dali 6. As they are slightly bright, you want to look for a slightly laid back amp - you could try the Denon, Parasound, Marantz, NAD and any tube amp. I would stay away from Rotel though. You may also want to look at integrated or pre/pro and power amp (which is where the Dali's will shine the most).

guys,
I am planning to upgrade (add more to) my existing setup for music. My current setup - ps3/onkyo 705/Dali 6 5.0 surround/ velodyne CHT-r15/ is very good for movies but i want to improve on the music part. I am planning to get a cd player/stereo amp added to the setup to drive my dali's.
I read about this ARCAM MS250 music server which would perfectly fit the CD player part (but not sure what the price is). I have to decide on the stereo amp part. Any suggestions on how to get the best out of dali ikon 6? And where do i get it in bangalore?

regards
vijay

thanks,

I have heard dali with oddesey tube amps and it sounded better than my onkyo sr 705.
But I dont know the 'quality gap' between tube amps and solid-state amps. I believe they are much closer than they use to be. And my other problem is to decide on integrated vs pre - power amp. I believe that even this gap is closer and in some cases integrated amp might me better as it solves the compatibility issues.

Any feedback or input is appreciated.

regards
vijay

dont worry whether its a tube or ss, integrated or separates. as long as it sounds good thats what matters most

thanks,

I have heard dali with oddesey tube amps and it sounded better than my onkyo sr 705.
But I dont know the 'quality gap' between tube amps and solid-state amps. I believe they are much closer than they use to be. And my other problem is to decide on integrated vs pre - power amp. I believe that even this gap is closer and in some cases integrated amp might me better as it solves the compatibility issues.

Any feedback or input is appreciated.

regards
vijay

Did you mean odyssey tube preamps? I don't think odyssey makes any full tube setup. Their power amps are pure solid state monsters :).

Hi Vijay
As ROC mentioned, you must have heard the Odyssey tube preamp with the Odyssey Stratos. Odyssey does not make tube amps. The choices in Odyssey are

for preamps
Eteseian passive pre
Candela tube preamp

for amps
Khartago, Stratos (various levels)

and for a single source integrated there is the Cyclops (essentially a Khartago with a volume knob (an attenuator)

if you can PM/email me your email address I can send you some other options as well that you may want to check next time you are in ARN.

cheers
[email protected]

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back