upgrading

qoolss

upgrading. need advice please?

Guys,

need some good advice regarding upgrade. I am coming to India finally and currently have monitor Audio RS8 which i bought in uk approx year back. Currently using it with Roksan Kandy k2 amplifier, Denon AVR3808 and Jl Audio f113 Sub. Recently I auditioned dynaudio Focus 220 and was impressed with the finesse and smooth sound. I have full respect towards Monitor audio as i think they are really nice and clear sounding speakers which could sound harsh if set it up with wrong amplifier.

My question would be if I go for B&W CM9 or Proac 140, will i get the improvement in sound? or to say is it worth of shall I wait for some time and go for further high end to satisfy myself.

I will really appreciate some advices.

Kind regards,

Swatantra

Last edited:
In general, to get a complete sound (all frequencies) even at very low volume level the amplifier's output power should be 1.5 or 2 times more than the speakers' output power. For eg. For 125 wattsx2 channel amplifier, a 100 watts RMS speakers will produce a better sound when compared to a speaker which is 150 watts or 200 watts.

Considering the amplifier that you own currently, the Rokasan Kandy K2, Monitor Audio RS8 is better in terms of power coz the power of your amplifier is 125 wattsx2 @ 8 ohms.

Monitor Audio RS8 is approximatey 150 watts @ 8 ohms (175 watts @ 6 ohms)
B&W CM9 is 200 watts @ 8 Ohms
ProAc 140 is 250 watts @ 8 ohms

If you are looking for a speaker upgrade for your Roksan Kandy K2, then choose hi-end speakers rated at 100 watts @ 8 ohms or 200 watts @ 4 ohms.

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

In general, to get a complete sound (all frequencies) even at very low volume level the amplifier's output power should be 1.5 or 2 times more than the speakers' output power. For eg. For 125 wattsx2 channel amplifier, a 100 watts RMS speakers will produce a better sound when compared to a speaker which is 150 watts or 200 watts.

Could you tell me if my amp is 60wrms @8 ohms what speaker wattage should I have, to make it deliver frequencies with authority?

Kindest regards

Re: upgrading. need advice please?

Guys,

need some good advice regarding upgrade. I am coming to India finally and currently have monitor Audio RS8 which i bought in uk approx year back. Currently using it with Roksan Kandy k2 amplifier, Denon AVR3808 and Jl Audio f113 Sub. Recently I auditioned dynaudio Focus 220 and was impressed with the finesse and smooth sound. I have full respect towards Monitor audio as i think they are really nice and clear sounding speakers which could sound harsh if set it up with wrong amplifier.

My question would be if I go for B&W CM9 or Proac 140, will i get the improvement in sound? or to say is it worth of shall I wait for some time and go for further high end to satisfy myself.

I will really appreciate some advices.

Kind regards,

Swatantra

did you listen to them - what did you feel

Out of the speakers you've listed, I'd blindly get the Focus. Its a brilliant speaker if you want a floorstander around that price. You can also get the contour 1.4 bookshelf for around the same and I feel its a better speaker overall.

thanks guys. I am also looking at bryston 4bsst amps for the speakrs or change them to focus (dynaudio). I may not look at the standmount as i hate the stands and most of the times they are not upto the mark with bottom end although they are better in mid-range.

what you guys think about bryston?

regards,

Swatantra

thanks guys. I am also looking at bryston 4bsst amps for the speakrs or change them to focus (dynaudio). I may not look at the standmount as i hate the stands and most of the times they are not upto the mark with bottom end although they are better in mid-range.

what you guys think about bryston?

regards,

Swatantra

i've listened to a bryston once. also read A LOT of user reviews / discussions on it. an amazing amp - perfect match for ma rs series. powerful, clean, neutral, musical, dynamic throughout the range. if you want to see more discussions on it check out the forum at eCoustics.com - Consumer electronics product reviews, news, articles, forums and price comparisons . lot of users are bryston owners. imo a 3bsst would handle the rs8s with ease

i did listen to proac but with Naim amplifiers, as for CM9 then i must say I haven't had chance to listen to them. I have also tried to look at lots of various reviews but there is hardly anything available for them.

I would also like to add that I am coming back to india permanently and brining all the kit with me. do you think i will have to pay astronomical custom duty or is there any way to get rid of it (most of my stuff is few years old, except Jl audio)

I will appreciate some response on this please:thumbsup:

i did listen to proac but with Naim amplifiers, as for CM9 then i must say I haven't had chance to listen to them. I have also tried to look at lots of various reviews but there is hardly anything available for them.

I would also like to add that I am coming back to india permanently and brining all the kit with me. do you think i will have to pay astronomical custom duty or is there any way to get rid of it (most of my stuff is few years old, except Jl audio)

you are allowed 1 music system to bring in for free. are you bringing more than one. if so you will have to pay 25-35% on the addl system at depreciated rate

I agree to Ramesh. As you already own MS RS8, you would benefit more from investing in a more powerful amplifier, than another pair of speakers.

The other speakers you are considering offer a different sound, but it is debatable whether it is better or not. I auditioned them and then bought RS6. Proac 140 were great with instruments, whereas MA were better at intimate vocals.

As far as I know Kandy K2 is an Integrated Amplifier. So what is the Denon AVR doing here? What is your source?

you are allowed 1 music system to bring in for free. are you bringing more than one. if so you will have to pay 25-35% on the addl system at depreciated rate

I know someone who just packed everything together and marked it as Home Theater. it is not easy to count the number of pieces a HT should have.

thanks,
Sharad

Last edited:

You are mixing and matching a number of combos here. This may make it hard to finalize on the system. Try to keep it consistent with other components unless you want to replace the entire configuration. .

How are you using the K2? In an independent setup or with the Denon?

I personally would keep it separate for 2 channel music listening and use the denon + amp for HT.

for such a setup I will second the Dynaudio. If you had an option to upgrade the amp, the Bryston is an excellent choice as it has the sufficient power to drive the speakers. Roksan definitely takes a backseat in that regard.

Not sure if you are looking at new or used gear, but seeign your choices, you may also want to look at Simaudio. They are a standout gear and is absolutely gorgeous for music.

You could probably use the same or the MA for HT.

Dyns work beautifully with Symphonic Line if you can afford them. Its like a match made in heaven.

I'm not a big fan of Bryston. They seem to have no life.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back