Upscaling DVD ripped movies

linny

Hi,
I have dozens of DVD rips(avi,mp4 of ~700 MB each) of Movies/Documentaries which I watch on my 40 inch Samsung LCD TV. As expected the quality is not great.

I've heard that there are DVD players/Media players which can upscale/improve the quality of the output to a decent extent though I am not expecting a Bluray quality of output.
I don't have the budget to go for a high end AVR .

With the collective experience of the group, can you'll please recommend any device/player which is known to improve the image quality of output.

Let me know if you'll need further information.

Thanks in advance.
Linny

Last edited:
Most DVD/Blu-ray/Media Players upscale the video through HDMI.

However, if you are having 700mb files, they are highly compressed. Not sure how good the quality even after upscaling. In future, if space can be afforded, try to rip the DVD in complete ISO or mkv with no/less compression (here chapter and subtitle can be preserved unlike avi files).

Some players like Oppo do a better job than others but its never going to really look good on a HD TV. Its better to start ripping and collecting movies again if you are a stickler for quality and want sharp images.

@manniraj - Thanks for the link. Looks interesting and I'll check it... have more than 200 DVDs which are of no use on my 50" Plasma.

Sony BDP-380 will do an excellent job. I don't know why you ripped the DVDs to ~700MB. You could have ripped them as .mkv using makeMKV. I am sure you can get BDP-380 for best price.

All the best!

You can go thru this thread may be one of the best available for upscaling using software on a PC (HTPC).

Seen this thread long time back. Will it not be sweet if there is some software, where we simply install and select rip to upscaled mkv.

Two years back when I was seriously searching software to rip with upscaling, could not find anything simple. Then I realised, upscaling(during ripping) is not going to improve the video. I am ripping them into ISO/mkv format and let the DVD/HTPC upscale while playing it. Ofcourse storage space is major casualty here.

Seen this thread long time back. Will it not be sweet if there is some software, where we simply install and select rip to upscaled mkv.

Two years back when I was seriously searching software to rip with upscaling, could not find anything simple. Then I realised, upscaling(during ripping) is not going to improve the video. I am ripping them into ISO/mkv format and let the DVD/HTPC upscale while playing it. Ofcourse storage space is major casualty here.

I have not seen any software ripper having this capability but I feel that once ripped it is the job of the player software to do the upscaling while playing video. I think ripping software's primary job is to just read the disc and rip it to the HDD. But looking at the thread I think lots of people with DVD ripped movies have succeeded in getting a better picture quality with this software setup. Even I tried this sometime back with a 1GB DVD ripped movie it did improve the video quality but at the same time used lots of CPU as it depends on the software. Hence did not rip the DVD's instead my blu-ray player upscales better than this software when played over the disc.

There is a limit on how much upscaling can be done. Garbage in = Garbage out.

A DVD movie, without going to technical details, is nearly 7~8 GB. A DVix AVI is 700 MB. The DVix was primarily used to watch movies on computer and such small screens where artifcats are hidden. The OP, I believe, did not rip the movies but I think, downloaded them. Who has the patience to rip and convert?

I have played back some AVI DVix content via my BDP. It does not do a good job of upconversion. But maybe my bar is set too high and I am unsatisfied. Someone else may be OK with the upconversion.

Best option is to use Media player classic with lav filters...it got the best up-scaling feature using graphics h/w acceleration.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back