Upscaling of DVDs in PS3

idlebrain

Hi Guys,

I am curious to know how is the Upscaling of DVD's in PS3 compared to Standalone BD Players.

Since getting BD Players for less than 20K is not possible. Planning to get one purely for watching Movies ( BD/DVDs).

Regards
Satya.

i have ps3 brother and to be frank ps3 does best job than standard dvd upscaler player like samsung etc etc(though oppo is in another league)

so it is super safe to play dvds on ps3 with better upscaling :) and also playing bd disc with super fine sharp picture

Hi Guys,

I am curious to know how is the Upscaling of DVD's in PS3 compared to Standalone BD Players.

Since getting BD Players for less than 20K is not possible. Planning to get one purely for watching Movies ( BD/DVDs).

Regards
Satya.

It's supposed to be the best up scaler around . However I would recommend you to pick up the older one as the DVD Upscaling in Slim isn't that great and the fan noise is huge. Google PS3 slim noise issues and you'll know, Noise isnt that great as Xbox but since you are solely buying it for Media playback I thought the noise might be an issue.

It's supposed to be the best up scaler around . However I would recommend you to pick up the older one as the DVD Upscaling in Slim isn't that great and the fan noise is huge. Google PS3 slim noise issues and you'll know, Noise isnt that great as Xbox but since you are solely buying it for Media playback I thought the noise might be an issue.

you are definitely right teky pick the old one brother though i don't like the design of ps3 slim just my choice :rolleyes:

coz i like ps3 as a beast(old design) not as a baby (new slim version :indifferent14: )

:cool:

you are definitely right teky pick the old one brother though i don't like the design of ps3 slim just my choice :rolleyes:

coz i like ps3 as a beast(old design) not as a baby (new slim version :indifferent14: )

:cool:

Manu off topic - Have you fixed your wireless stuff?

BTW Slim doesn't look that fuggly, I've seen one in real and it's good for what it does. I love the old design even though it's a dust magnet.

Manu off topic - Have you fixed your wireless stuff?

naaaaah not yet yaar

i still not contact my internet dealer coz where i use my internet its on first floor and my ht is on ground floor so i have to get separate cable by myself for such purpose ,though in few days then i can meet you online and we have some blaaaaaast together :clapping:

Guys,i don't think that the PS3 is noisy than the old one,in fact most of the threads in the official ps3 forums said that the new one is super quiet and it only makes a noise when ejecting the discs and this is what some of my friends told me too. Other than this,the console is still as good as the old one and in fact, it looks like it can even Bit stream HD. Picture proof that the new PS3 Slim does bitstream HD audio o... on Twitpic.
Since the bluray diode costs have come down,they have cut a lot of costs in the manufacturing and this has resulted in the part of the cost reduction on the PS3 now. The new one is worth every penny!

Last edited:
Guys,i don't think that the PS3 is noisy than the old one,in fact most of the threads in the official ps3 forums said that the new one is super quiet and it only makes a noise when ejecting the discs and this is what some of my friends told me too. Other than this,the console is still as good as the old one and in fact, it looks like it can even Bit stream HD. Picture proof that the new PS3 Slim does bitstream HD audio o... on Twitpic.
Since the bluray diode costs have come down,they have cut a lot of costs in the manufacturing and this has resulted in the part of the cost reduction on the PS3 now. The new one is worth every penny!

Well the term noisy itself isn't apt if you compare with the rival console. It's noisier than the stand alone players available.

The fan size has increased from Phat to Slim so obviously they are going to make hell lot of noise. But again it's upto personal preference.

Bitstreaming isn't a huge advantage. EOD it's personal preference again.

Thanks Buddies for all your inputs. One thing got cleared to me that, we can happily get PS3 an alternate to Standalone BD players.

Now should decide on PS3 Phat or Slim? Most of votes goes to PS3 Phat:clapping:

In the PS3 Slim Specs, it says not compatible to Install Linux anymore. In that case will we loose any kind benefits? Particularly for playing Mkv files, lacking of Linux cause any kind of issues?

I've got a old version and have never thought about installing Linux.

For playing MKV's you either stream them using PS3 Media Server or convert them using MK2VOB.

Whatever appeals to buy that mate. Good luck with your purchase.

One thing got cleared to me that, we can happily get PS3 an alternate to Standalone BD players.

If you only want to watch movies, I would yet say a dedicated BD Player is a better option. Prices have now reached 25K, and Samsung/LG is supposed to introduce a model in India for 15K. I am sure by end of this year BD players will be available around that price.

Of course a PS3 is unbeatable if you want to play games also.

Cheers

Well the term noisy itself isn't apt if you compare with the rival console. It's noisier than the stand alone players available.

The fan size has increased from Phat to Slim so obviously they are going to make hell lot of noise. But again it's upto personal preference.

Bitstreaming isn't a huge advantage. EOD it's personal preference again.

Well ya, agree with ya,and again depends on how u see this console,most of would obviously buy a PS3 primarily for gaming and would watch a few movies as well. Rarely would people buy a PS3 just for playing movies,when most of em know that it cannot match the performance of a standalone BD player. For now,PS3 is the sony sponsored god's gift for the cheapest bluray player available in the market and its one hell of a console :)

Well ya, agree with ya,and again depends on how u see this console,most of would obviously buy a PS3 primarily for gaming and would watch a few movies as well. Rarely would people buy a PS3 just for playing movies,when most of em know that it cannot match the performance of a standalone BD player. For now,PS3 is the sony sponsored god's gift for the cheapest bluray player available in the market and its one hell of a console :)

Oh yes, I completely agree with you :)

But the OP was buying it solely for Movies and hence my views.

PS3 is very good player for upscaling movies but cannot expect much as it primarily is a game console.
The upscaling again shows well, when the DVD rips you see are good ones.

PS3 CANNOT be modded in any way. To date, no hacker/pirate has been able to mod a PS3 to play pirated games. If you know of any modded PS3 then please post here. Even IF you were able to mod PS3 you would be voiding the warranty so y do it?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back