Urgent help on projectors in US..need to order today!!

Congratulations in your buy. You will enjoy it a lot. Projector is an awesome way to watch.

Arnprasad 1st of all let me congratulate u on ur purchase... 2ndly let to apologise for not replying to ur email in time... This past month or so has been very hectic with a couple of weddings being held in my family... I was on a 25 day trip to Punjab where bsnl roaming had the worst possible connection... Anyway back on topic congrats on ur purchase... If possible do measure the approx distance between ur setup & the projector & order a blue rigger hdmi cable (or some other) from amazon... Finding good quality long hdmi cables can be tricky in India ...

Thanks Rajadeep.

I also ordered the following. My colleague has received all of them and he feels confident he can get the projector as hand baggage without removing the original packaging.

Amazon.com: BlueRigger High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet (25 ft) - CL3 Rated - supports 3D and Audio Return [Latest HDMI version]: Electronics
Amazon.com: Acer H5360 3D-DLP Projector: Electronics

Today in all probability I will order the following:

Amazon.com: Monoprice 2D to 3D HDTV/DLP Converter (Frame Sequential, Side by Side, and Red/Cyan): Electronics

Amazon.com: 3DTV Corp DLP-LINK 3D Glasses 2 Pairs for ALL 3D Ready DLP Projectors and ALL Samsung and Mitsubishi DLP TV's: Electronics

I might travel to Mumbai in the next 10 days and hoping to get a decent 120 inch screen for 5k!! is that possible? and also how does one carry a 10 feet screen? you fold it into something that can into a suitcase?

You got any better options for me please? my folks are coming back in 10 days time and hence have to order everything today/tomorrow.

My Panny XT50 also does 2D to 3D which is not very impressive. NOt sure if the Monoprice does it any better. Of course 2D to 3D is not why I am buying it - I just want my ripped HSBS 3d movies to play on my projector

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Hmm good that u ordered the hdmi... As far as 3D is concerned I think by now everyone knows of my anti-3D stand... But still as u already have 3D content then no harm in getting the converter... For the screen the cheapest I have seen is pioneer 120" manual for 7-8k or something... The quality of the screen material was pretty decent & the same as grand view liberty... I would suggest getting the screen material from eBay US & making a DIY fixed screen... It's $35 for 120" screen material as far as I can remember... If u are in mumbai then u can even contact Santy & ask for pointers for how to make the screen & also have a look at his diy screen... His LEDs behind the screen are sure to dazzle u & push u into making a DIY screen... I myself would have made a DIY fixed screen but the logistics of my room don't allow it...

PS carrying a 120" screen from Mumbai to Bangalore does not seem like a very feasible idea... You can always have it shipped which would cost u in the range of 1-1.5k... Also if u can spare the money, pioneer sells a 120" moterised screen for 15k or so... Extremely good VFM...

Last edited:
Thanks Rajadeep.

I also ordered the following. My colleague has received all of them and he feels confident he can get the projector as hand baggage without removing the original packaging.

Amazon.com: BlueRigger High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet (25 ft) - CL3 Rated - supports 3D and Audio Return [Latest HDMI version]: Electronics
Amazon.com: Acer H5360 3D-DLP Projector: Electronics

Today in all probability I will order the following:

Amazon.com: Monoprice 2D to 3D HDTV/DLP Converter (Frame Sequential, Side by Side, and Red/Cyan): Electronics

Amazon.com: 3DTV Corp DLP-LINK 3D Glasses 2 Pairs for ALL 3D Ready DLP Projectors and ALL Samsung and Mitsubishi DLP TV's: Electronics

I might travel to Mumbai in the next 10 days and hoping to get a decent 120 inch screen for 5k!! is that possible? and also how does one carry a 10 feet screen? you fold it into something that can into a suitcase?

You got any better options for me please? my folks are coming back in 10 days time and hence have to order everything today/tomorrow.

My Panny XT50 also does 2D to 3D which is not very impressive. NOt sure if the Monoprice does it any better. Of course 2D to 3D is not why I am buying it - I just want my ripped HSBS 3d movies to play on my projector

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Congrats! I know how you feel now:) exciting days ahead of you...

... I also ordered the following. ...

Guess now you need one or two unlimited broadband connections :licklips:and more than a few 4TB HDDs :lol: for (re?)building up your AV library in 1080p + 3D...:eek:hyeah:

Also as suggested earlier, either ship your pj screen after purchase by a known person/yourself from Mumbai or get it here in B'lore itself which may not be that different price wise..

Are you planning a DIY screen? - note that the screen is where you will finally see the display and this will probably not be replaced/upgraded so do not compromise on this last link of the HT setup chain..

Thanks @tma and @rajadeep.

I am no techie nor a DIY person. Dont mind paying a carpenter coz if I start DIY it means I have to buy all the tools which might be costlier.

I had asked similar questions in earlier threads and I was told point blank that buying a ready made screen would be easier and cost effective.

I do see the carls place screen cloth at ebay. may order it as well. Are these DIY screen fixed or can we fold it up like a calendar? would prefer if we can fold it up.

Also what is the maximum screen size of this projector at full resolution assuming the room has enough length to take it as back as possible?

Thanks again for all your help.

There are a few things to consider... A DIY fixed screen would be cheaper than a pull down screen but not by much(maybe2-3k)... Where the beauty lies is the look & feel of a fixed screen is fantastic... Add led backlighting to it & u have a killer product ... I am on mobile right now but will post a longer post once I reach home...

Thanks @tma and @rajadeep.

I am no techie nor a DIY person. Dont mind paying a carpenter coz if I start DIY it means I have to buy all the tools which might be costlier.

I had asked similar questions in earlier threads and I was told point blank that buying a ready made screen would be easier and cost effective.

I do see the carls place screen cloth at ebay. may order it as well. Are these DIY screen fixed or can we fold it up like a calendar? would prefer if we can fold it up.

Also what is the maximum screen size of this projector at full resolution assuming the room has enough length to take it as back as possible?

Thanks again for all your help.

You can contact our FM "kaushik", he has built a DIY screen with his carpenter for around 3k. Get it touch with him regarding the screen.

Thanks

A DIY is best done as a fixed screen.. for fold-up better buy a manual pulldown or a motorized one..

lookup Acer - Projection Calculator Hope you got a 34' room for a 25 feet dia screen :lol:

I had the pleasure of visiting Santy's home a few months back to check out his projector(HD66) & DIY screen... Here is a couple of short videos my bro shot while we were there...
Santy's HD66 & DIY Screen with LED lighting - YouTube
Avatar Demo on HD66 & DIY Screen - YouTube

Now coming back to ur situation... You might be better off buying a 120" pull down or motorized screen from pioneer... As the price difference between a Manual & a motorized one is less than 6-7k I would personally recommend u buy a motorized one... Now regarding the size, well it depends on ur viewing distance... For upto 10-15 ft 120" is pretty good... U have bought a pretty bright projector so lighting up a 120" screen wont be an issue with u... I myself tried projecting 190-200" on the wall with my projector & was amazed with the results... It looked bloody fantastic but the prob was after u get over the initial excitement u start to realize that 190" wasnt the ideal size for my 16-18 ft viewing distance... So I have toned it down to 150-165"... My dad & I are still arguing over what would be the ideal size of the screen(he wants 180" & I want to tone it down to atleast 150")... Anyway I personally feel u should 1st try projecting on a bare wall to decide the ideal spot to place ur projector & the ideal size before making a choice... So forget about DIY & just projector on ur bare wall & after ur initial testing when u are sure of the size u can buy the screen... BTW how many days will u be in Mumbai... Do visit Pioneer screens manufacturing workshop & check out their screens... U can also get the latest price list from them... Contact us - Pioneer Screens

Guess now you need one or two unlimited broadband connections :licklips:and more than a few 4TB HDDs :lol: for (re?)building up your AV library in 1080p + 3D...:eek:hyeah:

Also as suggested earlier, either ship your pj screen after purchase by a known person/yourself from Mumbai or get it here in B'lore itself which may not be that different price wise..

Are you planning a DIY screen? - note that the screen is where you will finally see the display and this will probably not be replaced/upgraded so do not compromise on this last link of the HT setup chain..

there re smarter way to get HD content ... most classified sites delete such ads but if u r lucky it will cost a fraction

Can any coded hints on the same be provided?

local vendors sale HD movie in 15 -50Rs per movie based on the vendor .:D
take the portables and meet him and have a collection in the price of new Kaju packets
save lot of boring hours to download

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back